Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:11 pm

I recieved a message in my stumble upon inbox today. It was from a special educator, who is starting a clothing line for kids with "sensory sensitivity, associated with Autism, Aspergers, and Sensory Processing Disorder"

They seem to be close to getting a grant to "start our business and raise awareness about these issues"

http://ideablob.com/ideas/843-A-line-of ... -children-

anyway, if you go there, register and vote, it might help. ( i think)

I actually think it's a good idea.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:15 pm

It'll do some good, but I think it's too much of a filthy capitalist venture.

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:16 pm

maybe. i think it's interesting.

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:31 pm

I like the idea. I can't wear jeans, because they irratate my skin.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 8:21 pm

Jeans are usually the most comfortable for me--- they sort of "adapt" to my curves (like my knees) and they don't itch. I don't like things that itch, like many wools. I actually appreciate tighter fitting shirts because they don't "swoop" or tickle my skin--- they kinda become like extensions of my skin. I hate the feeling of fabrics on my abdomen moving around to the breeze.
If a tag is really annoying ( I would assume they would be to most people if they're huge) I'll just cut it off with a rounded edge so the edges don't jab me. I've gotten quite good at this.
Everyone is different, though--- to find any one type of clothing to please everyone is like trying to find one food that everyone likes. But some things seem predominant and would probably sell well.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 9:03 pm

skahthic wrote:
Everyone is different, though--- to find any one type of clothing to please everyone is like trying to find one food that everyone likes. But some things seem predominant and would probably sell well.

I am super-picky about the way clothes fit and feel in maybe different ways than other people are.
But a lot of underclothes (underpants, undershirts, etc) now are tagless and seamless, from mainstream brands that are easy to find.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

26 Dec 2007, 11:04 pm

skahthic wrote:
If a tag is really annoying ( I would assume they would be to most people if they're huge) I'll just cut it off with a rounded edge so the edges don't jab me. I've gotten quite good at this.

My seam-ripper is my best friend :D You might like it, too. It prevents the holes that often happen when I tear the tags out in aggravation, and also when I miss with the scissors :oops:

When I was diagnosed this past September and my parents were talking to my doctor about my childhood, they mentioned how obsessed I was (and am) about tags and properly fitting clothes. I wear my socks inside-out to avoid the seams... and somehow, I don't feel so crazy when I know other people do the same. I'm kind of glad corporations are recognizing the need to cater to weirdos like us.

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 1:18 am

I generally don't mind any uncomfortable clothes after a while. Is this really an issue for aspies?

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2007, 7:13 am

I agree it would be hard to find clothes that are comfortable for everyone with sensory issues, because everyone has different issues. A lot of people have problems with type of material, and I do to a certain extent (I need things to be at least somewhat soft, and I won't wear anything that attracts static) but my main issue is temperature. I can't wear anything that's too thick, because it makes me overheat. I also don't like things that are too thin, because they make me too cold, but overheating is worse.

Still, I think it's a good idea.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 7:58 am

I don't have any sensory issues regarding clothes.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Dec 2007, 8:26 am

I received the same message in my StumbleUpon inbox. And here I thought I was special. :?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 8:50 am

sort30030 wrote:
I generally don't mind any uncomfortable clothes after a while. Is this really an issue for aspies?

A pretty large percentage, I would wager.
Anybody have data on this?

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Dec 2007, 8:57 am

riverotter wrote:
sort30030 wrote:

A pretty large percentage, I would wager.
Anybody have data on this?

The fact that Hanes has sold so many tagless t-shirts makes me think that uncomfortable clothing is an issue for a lot of people, not just aspies. Although I have met a lot of Aspies with more severe sensory issues dealing with clothes.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:37 pm

A lot of peope say they prefer cotton, because it "feels soft". I hate it, because it retains moisture, which makes my sensitivity to slime (in summer) and extreme cold (in winter) kick in. Modern polyester feels much softer, and is much lighter, than cotton, yet it doesn't retain moisture. Polartec and coolmax are good examples of modern polyester. I doubt any company uses the scratchy "liesure suit" kind of polyester anymore.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2007, 12:15 am

That's a brilliant idea. I started making my own clothes because I couldn't find stuff that felt right or fitted me properly, and love buying second hand clothes from op shops as they are already soft and worn in. I also cut labels straight out to avoid scratchy neck and loathe synthetic fabrics. Worst of all for me is the feel of really cheap fake fur. Eek.

Here's more about Soft: http://www.softclothing.net

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 12:22 am

I like american apperal clothing..it is soft enough..I generally prefer natural fibers to synthetic, but regular cotton t-shirts are not always soft enough for me, but always preferable to "regular" poly cotton, which is torture.....whereas these days they seem to be making synthetic blends that are really really soft...i can stand those pretty well to a certain degree...and I can always tell the difference between acrylic and wool...(i prefer wool, because of the way that it breathes)

I always rip the tags out of clothes, and 99% of the time I cut the necks out of t-shirts...otherwise, I can only stand them for a short period of time.

I sometimes fantasise about having a line of affordable, flattering ( i am slightly plus-sized)...super soft clothing...that would be awesome...maybe when I win the lottery...