Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 9:11 pm

I was showing a friend this site and mentioned that I had been "promoted" from deionychus to veliciraptor. Without protesting the idea of actually HAVING the ranks, apparently veliciraptor should be lesser than deionychus, at least if you go by size. And why is a seagull better than a snowy owl? I prefer snowy owls; seagulls are kind of annoying and ugly and common in comparison.

So, what do you guys think about the actual rank NAMES, besides the fact that they're there? I think they could be a little more clear and it owuld be cool to have someone list all of them sequentially and explain the current system, like in the FAQ.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 9:27 pm

yeah. what is with the names? it's cool and all but what is it all about, I understand the Idea of ranks and preogressing, but I agree that some of them arent like progressing, but lowering

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 5:20 am

If you're referring to my comment on seagulls, I would prefer a snowy owl as well, I was just picking them out at random :oops: And Shades of Me, I just noticed your avatar has a MOVING butterfly... it amused me for quite some time :oops: very nice!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 8:04 am

Yes, I would like to see the actual titles changed, prehaps to something more aspie, like names from Star Trek, LOTR, Star wars or Terry Pratchett (The last 1, city watch ranks or Unseen university positions would be cool)

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:41 am

Astarael wrote:
If you're referring to my comment on seagulls, I would prefer a snowy owl as well, I was just picking them out at random :oops: And Shades of Me, I just noticed your avatar has a MOVING butterfly... it amused me for quite some time :oops: very nice!

What comment on seagulls? 8O

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:43 am

BlackLiger wrote:
Yes, I would like to see the actual titles changed, prehaps to something more aspie, like names from Star Trek, LOTR, Star wars or Terry Pratchett (The last 1, city watch ranks or Unseen university positions would be cool)

Not every aspie likes sci fi though.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:46 am

BlackLiger wrote:

dunno if any of the above are "more aspie", personally.

however...

i shall be Granny Weatherwax, then, the only one, and anyone who chooses to debate that can spend a day or two being subjected to my very own form of headology.

any problems with that, chaps?

/me raises The Eyebrow..

;)

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:48 am

I'll be Rincewind.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 10:31 am

Serissa wrote:
Without protesting the idea of actually HAVING the ranks, apparently veliciraptor should be lesser than deionychus, at least if you go by size. And why is a seagull better than a snowy owl? I prefer snowy owls; seagulls are kind of annoying and ugly and common in comparison.

Perhaps that's the best way for it to be: it recognises number of posts, without implying superiority. That (should) keep everybody happy.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 9:27 pm

lets come up with names.... and have a vote?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 9:51 pm

I like the current bird system. It's much more light-hearted, as opposed to Star Trek names. It even reminds me of my school, where all the servers were named after birds. And besides, I'm not a trekkie, so that's another reason why I prefer birds.

childofalessergod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2005, 9:53 pm

Looking at Shades' rank, I've noticed you misspelled "Toucan".

On a related note, on the chatroom page, you use the word "sessison".

Two spelling errors on a website? You've gotta do something about that! (Maybe if you need a proofreader...I could be of assistance?)

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 10:00 pm

but a butterfly isn't a bird...??? oh. it has wings... 8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 10:12 pm

You know serissa, I don't think any of those things have anythign to do with eachother. Dyanicheus is like the greek god of drunkenness and wine, velociraptors are dinosaurs, you've got birds on a lot of these, I think it's just kinda random.

As for me I'm not to worried about the system as it is. If I get to 1,000 then it's my call on what I want my name to be - that's that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:46 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
You know serissa, I don't think any of those things have anythign to do with eachother. Dyanicheus is like the greek god of drunkenness and wine, velociraptors are dinosaurs, you've got birds on a lot of these, I think it's just kinda random.

As for me I'm not to worried about the system as it is. If I get to 1,000 then it's my call on what I want my name to be - that's that.

Dionychus is a dinosaur, too.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:31 am

greek god of wossname and thingy = dionysus (sometimes, dionysius).

easily confused, i reckon.