Asperger's Syndrome - No Sense of Humor

Page 5 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

archdude
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 117
Location: Southeasten Pennsylvania

02 Jan 2008, 10:07 pm

WillMcC wrote:
Does anyone else here read/edit Uncyclopedia (www.uncyclopedia.org)? I find some of the stuff on there funny, and there are a lot of Aspies that hang out there.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bouncy_Castle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Shopping_cart
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/HowTo:Thro ... er_tantrum
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical_syndrome

I have a sense of humor, but it is sometimes "different" from others. I still find some bathroom jokes amusing, and puns are sometimes entertaining too.


I love Uncyclopedia! I edit under the name Naughtyned.



bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 221
Location: San Diego

02 Jan 2008, 10:12 pm

flailure wrote:
I don't find humor in anyone's misfortunes, in fact, I actually get embarrassed myself and have to look away, unless of course they are hurt and need help. I even get embarrassed watching socially awkward situations on TV or in movies.

I'm part of the "we" - very dry and, on occasion, fast, poignant humor; frequently to the point of causing people to literally rofl. Call it overcompensation for my social ineptitude, but humor is one of the best ways to keep people out of my personal bubble.


me too..I have no idea why but I have to look away as well like it was me that said the inapropriate thing....try watching The Office and you will see what I am talking about...
other than that I would say my humor tends to be a bit off beat to say the least. I tend to make people laugh through situations rather than humor itself. Guess i am blessed with a bumbbling body...


_________________
the conventional view serves to protect society from the painful job of thinking.


MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2007
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,156
Location: Indiana

02 Jan 2008, 10:16 pm

I have no sense of humor. I had it surgically removed. Couldn't sit down for a week. No, before the operation. Afterward, I was fine.


_________________
To eliminate poverty, you have to eliminate at least three things: time, the bell curve and the Pauli Exclusion Principle. Have fun.


Travinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 26

03 Jan 2008, 4:42 am

I've found that I have a very dry and dark sense of humor. Sometimes it can be off-color as well. Most people do find my humor funny, although sometimes I try and throw in something of my own Aspie creation and they get confused. Better to stick to material others provide I suppose.



bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 221
Location: San Diego

03 Jan 2008, 5:14 am

MysteryFan3 wrote:
I have no sense of humor. I had it surgically removed. Couldn't sit down for a week. No, before the operation. Afterward, I was fine.


yes, i like it sarcastic i think..i like it...not to omean and not too emotional...



Paguk
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 115
Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

03 Jan 2008, 11:28 am

Ah, yes...the question of weather or not I have a sense of humor. About a decade back I had some sort of "autism expert"...by expert I mean someone who has their diploma stuck so far up their rectal cavity that it effects their ability to learn...assess me and come to the conclusion that I had no sense of humor. She thought that my parents were simply wanting to see something where there was nothing and blew off the vouching of a principal who would later find out that he too was an aspie.

She was simply too wrapped up in her psychological dogma to see that I had a more subtle sense of humor filled with little references that forced you to pay attention. I apologize for not finding the mere mention of a word sounding like 'cock' and 'rod' to be surefire sidesplitters.

And apparently, many such high priests of the psychological community at the time thought people like us to be incapable of sarcasm...never minding that asking if I was a sarcastic little &^% was like asking if the Dhali Llama was Buddist.



Last edited by Paguk on 03 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,757

03 Jan 2008, 12:02 pm

As a neurotypical who has studied ASD's and interacted with those who have it, I can conclude that this is false. Also keep in mind that just because someone's sense of humor is different from the mainstream doesn't mean it's nonexistent.



busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 395
Location: NYC

03 Jan 2008, 12:33 pm

False for me. Life's misfortunes are not funny.
I have a pretty good sense of humor, but I pray for someone when they need it, not laugh. Even if I can't show empathy.



jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,627

03 Jan 2008, 12:38 pm

Paguk wrote:
Ah, yes...the question of weather or not I have a sense of humor. About a decade back I had some sort of "autism expert"...by expert I mean someone who has their diploma stuck so far up their rectal cavity that it effects their ability to learn...assess me and come to the conclusion that I had a sense of humor. She thought that my parents were simply wanting to see something where there was nothing and blew off the vouching of a principal who would later find out that he too was an aspie.

She was simply too wrapped up in her psychological dogma to see that I had a more subtle sense of humor filled with little references that forced you to pa attention. I apologize for not finding the mere mention of a word sounding like 'cock' and 'rod' to be surefire sidesplitters.

And apparently, many such high priests of the psychological community at the time thought people like us to be incapable of sarcasm...never minding that asking if I was a sarcastic little &^% was like asking if the Dhali Llama was Buddist.



lol!
:)


_________________
Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams. ~Mary Ellen Kelly


DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,719
Location: The Silver Devastation

03 Jan 2008, 5:13 pm

False...

I don't find humor in others' misfortune...unless I think they deserved what they got. I like slapstick, too, because it's exaggerated and the people involved are doing it intentionally (I do it sometimes - intentionally falling for effect is one example :P).

I tend to be ironic and sarcastic. I sometimes like to misinterpret people's words intentionally ("I can't say I agree." "You just did." That shtick.)

I like observational humor and satire.

I sometimes like dark humor, because it can make things I normally dread seem less serious.

EDIT:

I took this test.

Do you have a sense of humor?

Your score is: 40

What does your score mean?

Your sense of humor is pretty good. It may not be as wacky as that of some people (like us apparently) but you're pretty cool in our books! You can laugh at most things and maybe even get a kick out of the non-sense you say and do from time to time as well. Good for you! Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at right? Just kidding.



Paguk
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 115
Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

03 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm

My now-noted misspellings are making me cringe. "pa attention" and the fact that she DIDN'T think that I had a sense of humor. My bad. But I think I got the point across. Thank god for "edit".



pakled
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,015

03 Jan 2008, 9:05 pm

always had a sense of humor, I try to be funny, sometimes I succeed..;) Did puns with friends, but we take it to a horrible extreme, puns off of puns off of puns...;)

I used to say I'm funny (to NTs) about every 3 weeks. I don't laugh as much around them as I do myself...;)



Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,119
Location: My heart belongs to Anfield

03 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm

Hmm...sense of humour. I'm pretty sure that I own one. I bought it in a pawn shop. It tends to be dry and macabre. Monty Pythonesque. I love puns especially when they work off of other puns. I am queen of demented head pictures. As in I take things somewhat literally and because I tend to think in pictures, I form a mind picture and usually that's funnier than whatever was actually said. My brain pictures get me in trouble sometimes because I start laughing at them and it's usually pretty inappropriate when I start laughing about it. I don't care. I laugh at me and others exactly the same.


_________________
"All those things that you taught me to fear
I've got them in my garden now
And you're not welcome here" ---Poe


hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869

03 Jan 2008, 10:48 pm

People have commented on how funny I am, how unfunny I am, and how funny I am. So, I'm not really sure. :?



rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 464

19 Jan 2008, 8:22 am

TLPG wrote:
False! In spades!!

You know what the basic form of humour is for Aspies? Taking things literally deliberately. For example;

"Walk this way, sir!"

Common cartoon gag follows with some crazy walk. They did it in the movie "Arthur" as well.

"Hop to it!"

Aspie response, hopping literally to go and do the task at hand!

"Give me a hand, will you?"

Give them a round of applause!

"Call me a cab!"
"OK - you're a cab!"

And there are plenty of other literal interpretations that I certainly sometimes turn into humour. And my parents play up to it as well, because they know it!

So actually, Panzyo, I disagree. Aspergers does indeed have an effect on our sense of humour. I think it makes it better actually, because - well I at least - hate toilet humour.

PS - I just thought of another example of literal humour: The movie Flying High/Airplane! The number of literal gags in that is off the chart!


Well this is one kind of humour and is mildly amusing in small degrees. I don't think this is the be all and end all and i think a lot of people on the spectrum have different types of humour or appreciation of such. So I guess that means you are wrong but I would not take it to heart.

Not everyone can have a good sense of humour.



ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,288
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

19 Jan 2008, 10:04 am

I never ever lie, but I do have a bit of a humour. My mom is a very funny person, and I have learned her silly humour to a little more serious degree. I'm not mean or dry, because I like people, it's just hard for people to like me :D