Asperger's Syndrome - No Sense of Humor

Page 4 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:51 am

Alphawolf wrote:
l use true right or wrong by design need no further definition.

I think you hit the issue right on and straight up. Laughing at the human condition and its foibles (never thought I'd actually use that word), seeing the humor in the absurd, the comedic in the tragic is a sign of good mental health. Heck, all the *experts* seem to agree on that... If you can laugh in the face of oppression and hardship - there's something very noble and beautiful there. It's easy enough to laugh at someone else -but to face my weaknesses. crazy ADD/AS/BPD/reclusiveness/quirky bittchiness and say - you betcha - there I dd it again - screwing up is a speciality and this too shall pass - just like gas. Not in a meanhearted way - but in a detached bemused way - it already takes the sting and horror out of *OMG!! !! !! ! look at what yours truly the definitive A hole did ~this~ time. The energy changes and all of a sudden the suffering becomes slightly less. The heart slows down and the adrenaline gets mixed with some endorphins. Patch Adams is someone I learned this from. Thanks Patch. Wherever you are. Ya ole hippy, you. Master Teacher. :rendeer:

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:00 pm

my sense of humour is slightly different from others in that i wil find stuff funny that really isnt funny at all. But sometimes i dont get what they find so funny.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 7:02 pm

If laughing at non-tragic accidents happening to other people is "wrong" by NT definition, how come America's Funniest Home Videos is still on the air? There just aren't enough "cold, sadistic Aspies" to make up the ratings audience...

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Dry, stone, cold and zero humor unless it's at the expense of someone else's misfortune. True or false? And no fibbing either.
False...

I don't have that type of humour, so I don't have problems making people laugh.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2008, 10:27 pm

jjstar wrote:
No - actually truth is not synomynous with being right or wrong because in truth there are no polarities. Truth just is. Calm down? LOL.

:P

Since I can't very well show you my actual dictionary, an online one will have to do.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/right See definition number two.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/true Refer to definition number one.

If that's not enough, I offer this:

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/true Refer to entry number one, if you will.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/real Once again, entry number one.

Have I provided enough proof or will you bring the validity of dictionaries and thesauruses into question?

And I say to calm down because you're getting up-in-arms over something trivial that I'm certain was never meant as an insult.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:34 pm

Panzyo, the lynchings performed by the KKK in the southeastern United States during the period of 1920-1950 (just to grab a range of years) were wrong. They were not false.

Only the slimmest of scannings of the two words' definitions could possibly leave one claiming that they are, in all instances, synonymous.

Stating that the title of this thread is incorrect (false) for you does not render the statement "wrong", unless of course you claim to be completely representative of all Aspies.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2008, 12:02 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
Panzyo, the lynchings performed by the KKK in the southeastern United States during the period of 1920-1950 (just to grab a range of years) were wrong. They were not false.

The context is different.

Quote:
Only the slimmest of scannings of the two words' definitions could possibly leave one claiming that they are, in all instances, synonymous.

Panzyo wrote:
True and false have definitions synonymous with those of right and wrong.

That was my first statement and it is correct, right, and true. I said they have definitions that are synonymous. I did not say that all of the definitions were synonymous. That's exactly why I pointed out the proper definitions. It all depends on the context. In the context of this thread, they are interchangeable.

Quote:
Stating that the title of this thread is incorrect (false) for you does not render the statement "wrong", unless of course you claim to be completely representative of all Aspies.

You seem to misunderstand. I disagree with the opening post because I disagree with it. I've got an opinion and I'm stating it. It has nothing to do with the differences between words. The only reason I brought it up is because jjstar has been complaining about other poster's use of the word "wrong" instead of "false." I'm just explaining that she shouldn't be taking offense over something that is not offensive and was more than likely not intended to be offensive.

I don't claim to be representative of anyone or anything but myself.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:04 am

In "Stranger in a Strange Land" Heinlein pointed out that ALL humor involved someone else's misfortune. In some respect....

As for a SENSE of humor... oh yeah, I have one, a highly developed one, enough that I work on jokes and have thought about both writing comedy and doing stand up. My absolute terror of crowds put an end to that idea, but I've performed in comedic plays onstage and done fine. I agree with one of the early poster's, I'd characterize my sense of humor as "wicked", in the Monty Python, British slapstick, pun filled type of humor. I not only pun in public, but I do so WITHOUT WASHING MY HANDS AFTERWARDS....

My oldest son has shown signs of the same sense of humor, and he's doing what I did, using humor to deflect NT's in high school. Check out Robin William's behaviors sometime.... now there's someone with a sense of humor, and a LOT of signs that look familiar. Whoopi Goldberg as well.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:21 am

jjstar wrote:
Humor - you got it - or you don't. Saying you do in spite of contradictionary evidence is, however being unTruthful.

I beg your pardon? I find this baseless assumption on my person offensive and I ask that it be withdrawn, please.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2008, 5:47 am

This is a very bad generalization.
As far as I understand, the tendency is the exact opposite.
As far as me personally, normal people tend to find me very funny.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 6:43 am

“Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things”

George Carlin

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:05 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
The slapstick/toilet combo is my ideal humor.

Tim

I love the Three Stooges! :D

Jezikaonline
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2008, 11:32 am

Id say False.

I don't laugh at, or find humor in peoples misfortunes, unless they are idiots who have brought it upon themselves. muahaha

I can't tell a joke to save my soul, but i have noticed that i make my friends laugh a fair amount. My boyfriend seems to enjoy my off the wall sense of humor, and I make my mom laugh on a daily basis. I crack myself up the most :lol:

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:34 am

Does anyone else here read/edit Uncyclopedia (www.uncyclopedia.org)? I find some of the stuff on there funny, and there are a lot of Aspies that hang out there.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bouncy_Castle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Shopping_cart
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/HowTo:Thro ... er_tantrum
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical_syndrome

I have a sense of humor, but it is sometimes "different" from others. I still find some bathroom jokes amusing, and puns are sometimes entertaining too.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:40 pm

Alternative wrote:
False.

I have a wide, great sense of humour.

Think of a mix of Dark, Dry, Wit, Satire, Slapstick, And Toilet and your nearly there. ;)

If I become a famous stand-up comedian, my humour will be this as expressed through tall tales and silly observations.

I just need a decent audience and someone professionally filming me. :D

archdude
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 10:01 pm

AspieDave wrote:
In "Stranger in a Strange Land" Heinlein pointed out that ALL humor involved someone else's misfortune. In some respect....

One of my all time favorite quotes is from that book: "I ... know why people laugh. [They] laugh because it hurts... because laughter is the only thing that will stop the pain." This does not necessarily mean that we have to laugh at some specific person's real misfortune, but jokes tend to be stories of, and comedy routines and films simulations of, really embarrassing, uncomfortable situations. Things that we can identify with and that would really make us squirm if we couldn't laugh at them.