I need some thoughts about a child with AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspie-Mom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2005, 8:48 pm

My aunt teaches second grade. This year she has a student with AS, so she's been trying to educate herself about it. She called me and wanted my thoughts on a new behavior this child has started. She knows my son and I both have AS, so thought I might be able to help.

This child is in second grade, it's the fourth week of school. So far she seem to be doing ok socially in class. I was told her home life is a bit chaotic, not very structered. Apparently she does have some OCD type issues, including handwashing.

Forgive me if this is slightly graphic. She is going to the bathroom in school, and not cleaning herself after, which is soiling her clothes. This seems to be happening often, and is becoming quite a problem. She also has this problem at home. She did not have this problem in school last year. I don't know if it's been ongoing at home, or is new there also.

So, I'd like to know what everybody thinks. I have my own theories, which I'll keep to myself for now. My aunt wants to be able to help this child, but just isn't sure how. She has spoken with the school clinic, and is going to speak with the school counselor.

Thanks for any ideas you all might have,
Donna

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 9:03 pm

Has anyone asked the girl why she does it? Preferably gently/nonconfrontationally, by someone she trusts, so that she's more likely to give an honest answer?

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2005, 9:10 pm

I agree on the ask part.

Here are a few examples of my actions in grade school and the why:

1) Dumped a can of tempura paint on the floor (Why I did it- the only experiment I could think or to tell if it was completly dried up into a cake or liquid under the surface).

2) Bit my teacher the first day of school; why - my mom had told me not to hit or throw things at her. Bitting was not prohibited so must be ok.

Now back to the child and washing - has someone been trying to keep her from washing so frequently or trying to nag her into stopping. For example punishing her at home when she washes in an ocd way?

Just a thought but it is my best guess

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 9:33 pm

Maybe she feels uncomfortable cleaning down below, or something like that.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 9:52 pm

Quote:
My aunt teaches second grade. This year she has a student with AS, so she's been trying to educate herself about it. She called me and wanted my thoughts on a new behavior this child has started. She knows my son and I both have AS, so thought I might be able to help.

This child is in second grade, it's the fourth week of school. So far she seem to be doing ok socially in class. I was told her home life is a bit chaotic, not very structered. Apparently she does have some OCD type issues, including handwashing.

Forgive me if this is slightly graphic. She is going to the bathroom in school, and not cleaning herself after, which is soiling her clothes. This seems to be happening often, and is becoming quite a problem. She also has this problem at home. She did not have this problem in school last year. I don't know if it's been ongoing at home, or is new there also.

So, I'd like to know what everybody thinks. I have my own theories, which I'll keep to myself for now. My aunt wants to be able to help this child, but just isn't sure how. She has spoken with the school clinic, and is going to speak with the school counselor.

Thanks for any ideas you all might have,
Donna

Hmmm aspie-mom,

I used to piss on the floor in my special ed classroom just to piss the teachers off when I was little, is that special enough for you :twisted:

Feather
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2005, 7:17 am

julieme wrote:
Now back to the child and washing - has someone been trying to keep her from washing so frequently or trying to nag her into stopping. For example punishing her at home when she washes in an ocd way?

Just a thought but it is my best guess

That is the thought that occurred to me.

Child told 'don't wash hands'
AS child interprets this literally and applies instruction rigidly, stops washing hands.
But then cleaning up after going to the toilet would mean that she'd have to wash her hands.
And she's been told not to wash hands.
Hence resists getting hands dirty by failing to clean up after using toilet.

That's my guess.