New Orleans is being evacuated, so I'm told

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 4:22 pm

My mother called me early this afternoon to tell me that New Orleans is being evacuated due to the category 5 hurricane which is heading directly its way. Those people who cannot leave will be housed in the Super Dome.

Anything along or near the shoreline will be gone. Most animals will die (including livestock which cannot be saved). Trees will likely be ripped from their roots and MANY buildings will be destroyed. Any sorts of power lines, etc, will also be riped up/destroyed. Plus, likely the swamps will overflow more and cover New Orleans in about 3 feet of water, at the least. My mother said it will be the worst hurricane since 1969.

This is all hearsay. Has anyone else heard/read/seen any more???

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 4:51 pm

My uncle was in New Orleans, but fortunately he also has a place in Florida, so he'll be safe.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 5:04 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050828/ap_ ... MlJVRPUCUl

Linky

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 6:45 pm

The winds are at 165 mph and increasing.

That's one bad hurricane.

Last edited by Litguy on 28 Aug 2005, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2005, 6:45 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_29;_ylt=ArMV_5pKQmWEb7BqNwZveT4bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Linky

Earlier today, Yahoo news made a mistake by stating Katrina was moving twoards New Orleans at 160 m.p.h. We seriously should pray for these people. We don't need another 9/11 type catastrophie as far as deaths.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 6:48 pm

aaronkt wrote:
BlackLiger wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_29;_ylt=ArMV_5pKQmWEb7BqNwZveT4bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Linky

Earlier today, Yahoo news made a mistake by stating Katrina was moving twoards New Orleans at 160 m.p.h. We seriously should pray for these people. We don't need another 9/11 type catastrophie as far as deaths.
I don't think that's a threat. They have known about it for days and the evacuation is apparently going very effectively. There will, of course, be the foolhardy who will stay behind. The loss of property, and the loss of historic buildings in New Orleans, could be very devastating, however.

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2005, 8:58 pm

it was a cat 1 like a day ago though wasnt it?i think that is why so manypeople stayed behind

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 9:16 pm

Category 1 is Tropical Storm. This thing has been brewing for at least a week. But right now it's a category 5. Because New Orleans is already below sea level, the rain well probably have more of an impact then the winds. Oh, the winds are pretty bad too though. I hope my family in Lake Charles is safe. :?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 9:27 pm

I hope that family in Lake Charles has left already. They are in the direct path.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2005, 1:57 pm

All right back in.

I kept the TV on all night to see what was going on.

Eventually not everyone was able to evacuate the city and many went for shelter at the Louisiana Superdome. Thinking because it is a huge venue made of metal, that can hold thousands, I too would assume to head there for shelter. But hearing the loud thuds of winds pounding the roof at 20 stories above can give anyone the shivers and eventually I saw clips of the roof with missing panels knocked off by the storm causing leaking into the stadium. That there would strike the nerves even deeper.

At least the hurricane was downgraded to a Category 4 before it touched land, and was at a Category 2 when I saw the storm this morning.

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2005, 3:40 pm

Now that the hurricane has moved into Mississippi, a lot of tornado warnings are moving into Alabama. Several tornado warnings to counties south of me. I've got my table in case I must take shelter.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 3:47 pm

I thought that people would not have that much interest in weather reports so I omit them in the news reports I been posting, guess I was wrong.

Yes its getting bad and going to be bad out there.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 4:01 pm

hope it bypasses you, aaronkt. let us know what happens.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 4:38 pm

Speaking of the hurricane, has SpaceCase been on today?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2005, 4:48 pm

Yeah, it was downgraded to a Category 4 before it hit land and shifted its aim a bit towards Biloxi, Mississippi, and apparently didn't hit New Orleans as directly as they had once predicted.

The flooding is expected to be between 18-28 feet and I also heard that some of the roof has been blown off the Superdome (not enough to make it more than wet and make people fear more could fall). There are only about 9,000 people in the Dome so they are able to move away from beneath the broken roof.

My mother and I were talking and saying how the people who were ignorant enough to stay behind (and, yes, they knew the danger of the storm in plenty of time and the prediction of Cat 5) shouldn't be saved and put emergency crews lives at risk. They should just be left since it was their decision to stay despite that they knew how bad it would likely be and not be allowed to risk the lives of anyone trying to save them. My mother said she would maybe even like to see them arrested (after some of them are inevitably saved) though that will never happen. But I agree. They're not just risking their own lives.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2005, 8:47 pm

I was watching the news (Fox maybe...) saying that there are some state laws where authorities can actually make you evacuate by force. And other laws that say if you want to face the storm, then you must sign a release form for which you will receive a form of identification in case... Don't know if it was for real, or not.

As for those who had to take shelter at the Superdome, eventually many can't afford to evacuate (no cars, no money, nada). Since N.O. is a big city there will be plenty. Transportation is usually prioritized first for nursing homes, disabled, and some families. Then for those others, what else can they do once they escape?

I know that many would've been given shelter in areas far from the target areas, but it's a matter of availability to be transported to safety.