Evolutionism? or Creationism? or both? (Poll)

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should creationism be taught in school beside evolutionism?
yes 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
yes 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
no 38%  38%  [ 35 ]
no 38%  38%  [ 35 ]
don't know or don't care. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
don't know or don't care. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
only creationism please 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
only creationism please 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 92

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 1:11 am

It is also certain that total evolution (evolving from one species to another, like a monkey into a human) has no proof to have ever happened. I think that as a *public* school people should be allowed to learn different things; it's not excluding the idea of evolution if one believes in creation; lots of people have weighed the two. So if someone weighs the two, why not allow them to learn more about the one they think is the best? It's not a matter of exclusion, it's a matter of choice. What if someone did find scientific proof of creation? Would they still be treating it as a religion? Probably not. Scientists have not had any solid proof of total evolution, so why not teach both to give people a choice.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2005, 1:30 am

aspiegirl2 wrote:
It is also certain that total evolution (evolving from one species to another, like a monkey into a human) has no proof to have ever happened.

You are badly mis-informed! There is a huge amount of evidence in support of evolution, including the huge amount of evidence from the fossil record and direct work on genetics. The nature of science is that it builds theories and tests them against observable evidence. No theory can every be 'proved', but generally one or two theories tend to eventually be ovewwhelmingly favoured by the evidence that is available.

aspiegirl2 wrote:
I think that as a *public* school people should be allowed to learn different things; it's not excluding the idea of evolution if one believes in creation; lots of people have weighed the two. So if someone weighs the two, why not allow them to learn more about the one they think is the best? It's not a matter of exclusion, it's a matter of choice.

It is not a question about whether or not creationism should be taught, but how. Creationism is not science since its proponents push its ideas from an idealogical standpoint, not from the basis of scientific hypothesis and test.

Teaching creationism as an alternative to evolution is analoguos to teaching the Lord of the Rings as an alternative to teaching pre-history.

aspiegirl2 wrote:
What if someone did find scientific proof of creation? Would they still be treating it as a religion? Probably not. Scientists have not had any solid proof of total evolution, so why not teach both to give people a choice.

Creationism is something which is pushed from the perspective of religious belief, where the aim is to justify dogmatically held ideas rather than to find the best explanation for what we see around even if it challenges what we already know or think to be important to ourselves. As such, it should be taught as a religious subject, not a scientific one.

Would you choose to support evolution over creationism if you understood that there is more and stronger evidence in suport of evolution, or would you support creationism regardless of the evidence because your faith tells you that it is right? This is the difference between science and religion.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 9:27 am

animallover wrote:
I like the idea of having a seperate class - but I hate that people exclude themselves from knowledge just based on their religion - I think that if someone is truly devoted to a religion then they should be able to expose themselves to an idea and then say 'Oh - that clashes with my religion - I guess I don't believe that idea . . .' - not just ignore the idea because they are afraid their faith isn't strong enough to take it . . .

I have thought the same thing since I was 9. If their faith is strong enough they should have little problem with being exposed to other ideas, and if/when they don't agree with them, that's what they say: "Well, I guess I just don't agree with that" and move along on their merry way.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 10:08 am

Here's an article by Daniel Dennett on the intelligent design debate.

http://edge.org/documents/archive/edge166.html

That's a really great website if you are into cutting edge science and such. It's like a monthly newsletter and they email you when they update. Actually there are several articles there on this debate.
http://edge.org

The issue here is primarily a corruption of science, and the misleading of children who are supposed to be getting an education. People like the president say "teach the controversy" but there is no controversy, not within the scientific community at least. Evolution by natural selection is much more than just another theory.
Dennett sums it up nicely when he says, ....teach the belief in a flat earth if you want..but teach it in a history class..

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 11:38 am

reading this thread, I think my views on this matter are rather unusual in some ways, but the same as many of you in others. I believe in creation by evolution, meaning that I think God created the animals, plants, etc. by making them evolve. That said, I also think evolution is just a theory, and that it should be taught in schools as such, not as a proven fact. I don't think creation should be taught in public schools because if it was, all the other creation theories would need to be taught, too, and that would be way too much. As for the parents who don't want their kids to be taught evolution? they should homeschool their kids. If you want to send your kids out into the world everyday like that, fine, but you(or more accurately they) will have to deal with the consequences. Although I have a very low opinion of public school, it is there for a reason. The curriculums used should always teach the middle ground
Just my opinion

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:03 pm

Although teaching creationism in public schools (ah, the beauties of private schools and/or homeschooling) is a bit too controversial, I think the teachers should at least mention that there was probably some sort of "intelligent design" by someone or something.

Neither creation nor evolution can be proven by the scientific method (not that the scientific method is all-important), because neither is repeatable. So I don't think it would be a good idea to teach this in any sort of science class. A better place for this would be a class about world views and beliefs.

Let's say I had gone to a public school when I was younger and I had learned about evolution. The fact that it was taught to me does not mean I have to believe the teacher is right. I could choose to accept what the teacher was saying as the truth or regard it as any other information that we would need to know for the test on the unit.

My personal belief on creation/evolution? Species in the world are much too advanced to have evolved out of bacteria and pond scum. If you really want to know more, PM me. ;)

magic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:31 pm

Namiko wrote:
Neither creation nor evolution can be proven by the scientific method (not that the scientific method is all-important), because neither is repeatable. So I don't think it would be a good idea to teach this in any sort of science class. A better place for this would be a class about world views and beliefs.

This is a creationist point of view. In contrast, scientists regard evolution not as a belief, but as a scientific fact. Its mechanism is known, and has been experimentally verified. Logic dictates that every scientific model can be falsified, but theories that have so plentiful scientifically valid evidence as the evolution are not at much risk of being overthrown, though they can be amended, of course. Paleontological evidence is scientifically valid, and scientific method is not limited to repeatable experiments.

Evolution should be taught in schools as a valid science, while creationism should not (as it is nothing more than a religious belief that is contrary to science and logic). Creationism could be studied on anthropology or sociology classes, as an interesting example of a widespread belief that is unsupported by reality.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 1:43 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
I don't think creation should be taught in public schools because if it was, all the other creation theories would need to be taught, too, and that would be way too much.

Absolutely. People go on and on about creation, but they fail to realise that there are thousands of creation stories. You can't teach one and not teach the others.

Mockingbird, I also share the same belief that everything evolved (and still is evolving), but it seems logical to me that there is some sort of design and order to it all. It is not scientific, though, and has no place to be taught in schools.

Namiko wrote:
Neither creation nor evolution can be proven by the scientific method (not that the scientific method is all-important), because neither is repeatable.

Evolution can be repeated, and it is all the time. I have a friend who is a scientist. I don't know exactly what he does, but I do know that he works with fungus. He says that he sees evolution every day in his lab. Fungus obviously isn't as complex as people, so human evolution couldn't be repeated in a lab right now because it would take millions of years. It makes sense and is logical. Fungus is living, people are living. Fungus evolves, people evolve. Understand?

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 5:34 pm

from Richard Dawkins and Jerry Coyne

Quote:
If ID really were a scientific theory, positive evidence for it, gathered through research, would fill peer-reviewed scientific journals. This doesn't happen. It isn't that editors refuse to publish ID research. There simply isn't any ID research to publish. Its advocates bypass normal scientific due process by appealing directly to the non-scientific public and - with great shrewdness - to the government officials they elect.

The argument the ID advocates put, such as it is, is always of the same character. Never do they offer positive evidence in favour of intelligent design. All we ever get is a list of alleged deficiencies in evolution. We are told of "gaps" in the fossil record. Or organs are stated, by fiat and without supporting evidence, to be "irreducibly complex": too complex to have evolved by natural selection.

In all cases there is a hidden (actually they scarcely even bother to hide it) "default" assumption that if Theory A has some difficulty in explaining Phenomenon X, we must automatically prefer Theory B without even asking whether Theory B (creationism in this case) is any better at explaining it. Note how unbalanced this is, and how it gives the lie to the apparent reasonableness of "let's teach both sides". One side is required to produce evidence, every step of the way. The other side is never required to produce one iota of evidence, but is deemed to have won automatically, the moment the first side encounters a difficulty - the sort of difficulty that all sciences encounter every day, and go to work to solve, with relish.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 6:12 pm

Have you ever put water or the like into an enclosed glass and super heated it? the glass sweats does it not? not all of it is from external condensation, some of it comes from the moister within trying to get out from exited molecular exchange, evolution is the same way, you have billions of microbes trying to evolve in a short span of time, humans are no different, some of us escape to the next level and evolve, those that do expand to the next generation, those that do not,- stagnate.

evolution happens, faster then you think, besides, how much time do you think it takes to evolve? our world has been with life for at least 4 BILLION years.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 8:48 am

Bec wrote:
Namiko wrote:
Neither creation nor evolution can be proven by the scientific method (not that the scientific method is all-important), because neither is repeatable.

Evolution can be repeated, and it is all the time. I have a friend who is a scientist. I don't know exactly what he does, but I do know that he works with fungus. He says that he sees evolution every day in his lab. Fungus obviously isn't as complex as people, so human evolution couldn't be repeated in a lab right now because it would take millions of years. It makes sense and is logical. Fungus is living, people are living. Fungus evolves, people evolve. Understand?

Let me clarify that when I talk about evolution, I mean between species, like evolving from a fish to a lizard or something like that, not slight adaptations.

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2005, 9:14 am

ed wrote:
There is another religion to consider here. Someone has (as a joke) created the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and if creationism, or it's evil twin brother "intelligent design, " is taught in the schools, he plans to force schools to also teach that we were all created by this Flying Spaghetti Monster! :lol:

On alt.atheism we have the "Invisible Pink Unicorn" or IPU for short. The creator of all.

And if they want to teach this "design thing" they had best not snub the IPU! Not teaching creation by the IPU is obviously all part of a liberal plot to corrupt the educational system ;)

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:12 pm

Namiko wrote:
Bec wrote:
Namiko wrote:

Let me clarify that when I talk about evolution, I mean between species, like evolving from a fish to a lizard or something like that, not slight adaptations.

A series of slight adaptions over time is what makes one species different from another.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:16 pm

A mutation doesn't know well enough to keep it's effect at a minimum. So in Evolution you have both small mutations and larger ones.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 10:24 am

I've never understood why some people feel threatened by the idea of evolution. I mean, the Bible says plenty of things that no Fundamentalist Christian thinks are literally true, like the earth being flat etc. Evolution is not "just a theory" (or rather, it is a theory in the same manner that continetal drift, gravity, and atomic structure are theories). It is a simple observation of biological processes on a grand scale. It has nothing to do with astronomy, cosmology, whether or not there is a creator, or whether or not we have souls, nor do I see how it would cast reflection on any of those issues.

So no, creationism should not be taught in public schools as an alternative to evolution. It is not science, and has no scientific ground whatsoever (those who doubt this statement should see the link below). It would make about as much sense as teaching people that the Holocaust may or may not have happened, depending on your belief, in history classes.

Just about all of the creationist's arguments against evolution are nonsense anyway, even though they are sometimes interesting. Go to www.talkorigins.org for a thurough debunking of creationist arguments.

Still, though, I'm not saying that the book of Genesis has no place in the public sphere. It would probably be important to study in classes pertaining to literature, theology, philosophy, and the like.