Does anyone else feel this way when making eye-contact?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:31 pm

When I try to make eye contact I feel like a weight in my eyebrows that causes me to direct my gaze away from the person I'm interacting with.

Does anyone else feel this?

Last edited by Mw99 on 19 Jan 2008, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 1:42 pm

More like why whole head being heavy but yes.

19 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

No just uncomfortable

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 2:39 pm

The eyes have it, or first contact topic

Yes, this has been the case but in interviews I know I must at least give them a five second look followed by a ten second break, which is my general rule for necessary eye contact (during interviews, or when speaking to the boss).

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 3:06 pm

If i inadvertently make eye contact that's what it feels like.

The only person i try to make eye contact with is by boyfriend, that just makes me giggle. He says it tickles my brain, and i thought that sounded about right. :lol:

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 3:20 pm

I couldn't look a parrot in the eyes today because he was talking to me...

My eyebrows just feel bushy in general.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 3:25 pm

I feel a bit like that sometimes. When I was younger it felt as if my eyes were burning when I made eye contact.

tyler111215
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2008, 3:32 pm

Is difficulty making eye contact a very common AS symptom? I have extreme difficulties making eye contact with people I am not confortable with, or know very well. I also am afraid I will be mistaken for being rude from over staring, or just being creepy in general.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jan 2008, 3:38 pm

Difficulty with eye contact is something that is listed as one of the common behaviours of people that have AS. Everyone prolly has their own theories about why this is or is not a problem. I've always found that looking at the space between the eyebrows makes people think that I'm making eye contact. I don't do it for me, I do it for them. Other people need me to make eye contact even though I don't feel any particular compulsion.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 3:40 pm

I don't even make eye contact for that reason.

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 3:50 pm

It is better if you trust the person you are talking to, the first person I could ever make direct eye contact with was my mother. After this I would make direct eye contact all the way down to enemies, not looking into the eyes of your enemy makes it look as if you're scared of them. It also makes the process of telling lies from honesty a whole load easier.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 3:53 pm

emoboxergeek wrote:
I After this I would make direct eye contact all the way down to enemies, not looking into the eyes of your enemy makes it look as if you're scared of them.

I think it also conveys the message that since you are not devoting them enough attention it means you are not afraid of them.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 3:57 pm

I have a hard time with eye contact, because it isn't natural for me. I have to remind myself at least ten times a day to give eye contact. For some reason once I remember TO give eye contact, I know when to stop (which is odd considering most other social things like that don't come naturally like that at all).
It's not painful though, though some days I don't give eye contact at all because my mood is anti-social. My friends understand this luckily, and let me still alone when that happens.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 4:50 pm

Eye contact is difficult for me.
It feels like I am being judged so I either look at the speaker's hair or their feet.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

It's like I have this external force pushing my head to look away...

I have managed to train myself to look UP when I do so, though.... I've found when you look up, over someone's head they assume you're thinking about your response... when you look to one side or the other you're evading them.... and since 4 out of 5 of the people I work with are women, I think you can figure out what they think I'm doing if I look down....

:twisted:

Since I DON'T look down, they seem to like me better than a lot of the other men. Of course, I don't point out I have excellent peripheral vision....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:01 pm

It actually physically hurt my eyes like as if a bright light was shining in them. Less so now as I did eye contact exercises that desensitised them