Yes and no one else in my family has AS 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
No and no one else in my family has AS 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Unsure/was never told if I did 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 50

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 4:28 am

Just curious because I read somewhere that when a genetic link is not found, most often one psych found that the person with AS had a traumatic birth. I did, so I was just curious if anyone else had. I am thinking that in the overall group of people with AS, it is nothing significant, but maybe for those with no genetic links, this gal's observation may be right.

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2008, 5:45 am

Not at all.

As I've been told several times, I was completely born before the obstetrician had both of his gloves on.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 5:46 am

I had a forceps birth. Probably wasn't fun for me.

But many people in my dad's family have autistic traits anyway.

Oh, and my brother had an even more difficult birth and he turned out NT.

Taking a break.

Last edited by zen_mistress on 06 Feb 2008, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tremere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 5:52 am

I had a very ugly C-section, 7 weeks premature too. My mum was reportedly very sick for some time afterwards.

There is one case of Aspergers on my fathers side where I have step-brothers and sisters.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 5:52 am

I was born with my eyes open. It was pretty rare because I didn't even cry until I got my shots.
I'd guess I was surprisingly easy. My sister (who only has some ghosted effects) was a different story though.

Last edited by Reyairia on 06 Feb 2008, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:03 am

Nope.

I had the usual "autistic head" however (see: big circumference); I grew into my head.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 6:21 am

couldn't have been easier for me, which is odd considering all 3 of my NT sibs had difficult births.

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 6:24 am

i'm nt - my dd was born at 25 weeks - pretty traumatic first 3 months of life for her. had developmental delays as any other very low birth weight baby - for as much trauma she suffered in the beginning, she is physically very healthy.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 6:26 am

LynnInVa wrote:
i'm nt - my dd was born at 25 weeks - pretty traumatic first 3 months of life for her. had developmental delays as any other very low birth weight baby - for as much trauma she suffered in the beginning, she is physically very healthy.

What's a DD?

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2008, 8:56 am

Apart from me putting my hand against my ear, which no doubt made the experience traumatic for my mother, it was a very quick birth. :-)

As far as I'm aware there's no genetic link as nobody else in my family has enough symptoms to qualify. If you put them together you'd get enough symptoms though.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:59 am

I do not know, I don't remember. :P

Really, though, my parents probably still think I dunno where babies come from, they think I know nothing that either they don't teach me or I don't tell them about. They never told me about it, obviously.

TurtleJen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2008, 9:02 am

I was pulled out with that vacuum thing... And I think I had a big head? I do know it was difficult birth.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:18 am

lotus wrote:
Just curious because I read somewhere that when a genetic link is not found, most often one psych found that the person with AS had a traumatic birth. I did, so I was just curious if anyone else had. I am thinking that in the overall group of people with AS, it is nothing significant, but maybe for those with no genetic links, this gal's observation may be right.
If so, they could be different "disorders" .

I have had a very hard c-section I heard from my parents.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:29 am

Yes - my mother tells me that I didn't "turn around" so she had to undergo an unplanned C-section. She says at first she felt it too! 8O So she had to be given a general anesthesia.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:57 am

I don't know if my birth itself was traumatic, but I was born with a defect that affected my breathing so just as I was born, they thought I would die. I don't know at what point they knew I was trouble. I received last rites and baptism at birth (Roman Catholic) and stayed in the hospital a few months. Then my mom signed me over to be adopted-it sounds like they wouldn't release me to her.
My autistic son's birth was traumatic-induced, then after the epidural it slowed way down, I was hypertensive and he got stuck in the birth canal and at one point his heart stopped or skipped a beat. He was also born with his eyes open and didn't cry until they really squeezed his feet.

inspiringmind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2008, 10:07 am

My son was born on time and with about an 8 hour labor. He was also coming out before the midwife could get to the room. LOL

Me on the other hand. I was born early and weighed a little over 5 pounds.