Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:21 pm

Do you think pets are beneficial to those living with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome?

I had a small, Bichon Frise for ten years...until he needed surgery last April, 2007 and the Veterinarian gave him too much anesthesia during surgery and he died in the recovery room. It was a might blow to me as he didn't seem "sick"...and I am still grieving over this loss.

I tried to obtain another Bichon Frise through Pet Finder. com but, the woman at a rescue shelter in Syracuse, New York gave me false hopes and a sweet Bichon Frise Mix named "Kodiak" to people who already had an older dog. Another devastation to someone already grieving. I am not sure if I should purchase a Bichon Frise outright as breeders are so expensive.

Does anyone else find "pets" essential to their overall social well-being?

Last edited by Zsazsa on 11 Jan 2008, 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Living_in_Gin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2008, 2:24 pm

I have a cat who is very shy around strangers, but who loves me to death. The feeling is pretty much mutual. I've had him since he was a kitten (he's 4 now), and I can't imagine life without him.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:38 pm

Yes, I think so.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost one due to vet incompetence too. He was suffering from pneumonia and the vet (clueless) treated him for asthma for months. When we finally switched vets, got him a simple X-ray to confirm it, he was already beyond saving.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 2:42 pm

I think pets are very good for people with AS and autism. :) I have two dogs and two budgies, and I couldn't imagine being without them. Losing my cats affected me quite deeply, and I know I'd feel the same if I lost any of my other pets, since I adore them all!

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:22 pm

I too am sorry to hear about your dog. I currently have eight pets, which is low for me & my past (I've lost a lot also) I couldn't live life without my furkids myself. They keep me active & healthy, entertained, the love me without question. They are a lot of work, but it's work that pays off. Good luck on your search should you choose to get another Bichon Frise.

thegodofhats
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2008, 3:26 pm

My dog Crosby is great, but Dakota was my best friend from when I was a baby until we put her down a few years ago (she lost control of her hind legs somehow and couldn't walk, she was 13 or 14, I think). I think pets are good for anyone who has any sort of problems, social, mental or otherwise.

This is a recent event (reguarding a "pet") that now has me very sad, but happy because I think Asimov prefers it this way. On Tuesday at 2 am I caught a baby house mouse and last night I was showing it to a friend and it got on my glove and climbed my sleeve and ran away. I'm still crushed (emotionally). I wanted Asimov (the mouse) to be my best-friend for 12-24 months (its expected lifespan). I'm trying to catch it again, but I think it prefers being with its family so I might not keep it.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:53 pm

I wouldn't've survived the last few years without my two bull terriers, Winston and Disraeli [Say hello boys - "WOOF!" "woof!"] They get me up in the morning, get me exercised and get me talking to lady dog walkers... They see off a**holes and seem better judges of humans than me. Have you considered other breeds apart from BF? I know of a bull terrier rescue place in NYC that's always looking for new homes for their pooches.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 4:22 pm

My dogs and I are rarely apart. I have two whippets and they're rather clingly, emotionally needy dogs. They sleep in my bed (You can't keep them out), we go nearly everywhere together. The fur family!

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 5:39 pm

I like snakes.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 6:07 pm

We have two Ragdoll cats which are a lovely gentle breed perfect for aspies, that don't scratch or kill things and bring them in. They are like big teddy bears and I wish I'd had one as a kid as they love snuggling.

http://www.ragdollcats.co.nz/

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 8:18 pm

I absolutely do. I think my first Siamese, Samantha, saved my life when I got her and enhanced it throughout her 20 years with me. She was with me through every important event in my life.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 10:32 pm

I couldn't imagine life without my two huge dogs, Sasha and Jazz.

And if you're going to get a pet, go to your nearest humane society or ASPCA. They have the pets that are really in need of a good home, not all those snotty purebreds.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:44 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
I am not sure if I should purchase a Bichon Frise outright as breeders are so expensive.

Does anyone else find "pets" essential to their overall social well-being?

How about a Bichon Frise cross? Particularly if you do not intend to be a dog-breeder yourself. I've met some adorable BF/terrier crossbreds.

And yes, I'm always much happier when there's a cat around the place. :)

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

SleepyDragon wrote:

And yes, I'm always much happier when there's a cat around the place. :)

I feel the exact same way.

I don't know what I'd do without my boy :)

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm

YES, for me it is. It helps make up for the lack of human contact.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:01 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Yes, I think so.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost one due to vet incompetence too. He was suffering from pneumonia and the vet (clueless) treated him for asthma for months. When we finally switched vets, got him a simple X-ray to confirm it, he was already beyond saving.

My cat was treated for asthma as well, and it turns out he had congestive heart failure. Once he started to go downhill, he died in a matter of hours so there was no time to do anything. And our vet is pretty good! I think cats are very good at hiding their pain.