Thinking of starting an AS college group in San Antonio

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2008, 10:52 am

Okay guys. I'm working Thursday 11-6am. I work nights in case I didn't mention that before. Is Friday better with you guys? Like around 6pm or so?

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2008, 11:03 am

darkness2004 wrote:
Okay guys. I'm working Thursday 11-6am. I work nights in case I didn't mention that before. Is Friday better with you guys? Like around 6pm or so?

It's good for me, but I'll probably have the kids and husband with me. Oldest is an aspie, too, and middle has sensory processing disorder. Should be fun. lol!

Is there an agenda or anything? What's our plan? Do we need to sit outside? The inside seating is limited, it's a small location. But outdoor seating has a few tables. I'm sure I'm overthinking it all. How will we know who everyone is?

I'll be the one with an entourage. :roll: I feel the need to have my safety net around me initially. I hope everyone is ok with that. My kids will want to go play at the train table, so hopefully they can do that w/ dh (dear husband) once I get comfortable. (Few minutes. I can only tolerate the pestering for so long.)

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2008, 11:18 am

Well, the agenda for the first meeting will be introductions. We might also discuss where we all want to hang out in furture meetings since we all come from different parts of the city and have many interests. Nothing too heavy really. Never will be. It's mostley just a hang-out and maybe we'll try and help each other out with advice if one of us is going though a rough time. It's mostly just a recreatioanal group. A place for aspies just to be themseleves.

I'll be waiting inside on Friday at six. I'll have pair of baggy jeans and a teal air-force mesuem T-shirt on. I'm tall, like 6'2 and I have long (well long according to male standards) copper, slighlty reddish hair.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2008, 11:29 am

darkness2004 wrote:
Well, the agenda for the first meeting will be introductions. We might also discuss where we all want to hang out in furture meetings since we all come from different parts of the city and have many interests. Nothing too heavy really. Never will be. It's mostley just a hang-out and maybe we'll try and help each other out with advice if one of us is going though a rough time. It's mostly just a recreatioanal group. A place for aspies just to be themseleves.

I'll be waiting inside on Friday at six. I'll have pair of baggy jeans and a teal air-force mesuem T-shirt on. I'm tall, like 6'2 and I have long (well long according to male standards) copper, slighlty reddish hair.

Sounds good to me.

I'll laugh if just you and I show up. haha!

Pic of me and husband: Carrie & Tim

Oh, I might wear my glasses. Not sure. I can tolerate contacts in short spurts.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 9:03 pm

I'm glad I checked, and not just show up tomorrow. I will see you Friday.

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2008, 10:01 pm

Alrighty then! The Starbucks on I-10 at 6pm Friday. Hope to see everyone there!

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2008, 8:41 am

Yay! I'm nervous. See you all tomorrow. :)

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2008, 8:51 pm

Well I had a good time!

Sorry we were late, but thanks for waiting around!

I think next time we'll get the kids to stay with friends or something. Having the older 2 around was a little difficult for us because they were bored and then when we went to the kids area they wanted to buy everything! :lol:

A restaurant is a good idea next time, too. And we're flexible. We don't always have to be on the North side of town.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2008, 8:56 pm

Found the aspie test we were discussing tonight: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2008, 9:22 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
Well I had a good time!

Sorry we were late, but thanks for waiting around!

I think next time we'll get the kids to stay with friends or something. Having the older 2 around was a little difficult for us because they were bored and then when we went to the kids area they wanted to buy everything! :lol:

A restaurant is a good idea next time, too. And we're flexible. We don't always have to be on the North side of town.

I had a great time too. I'm glad you all came and didn't mind at all waiting for you. I was just getting a little nervous because it was the first meeting and wondered what was actually going to happen. Just first time jitters, and I didn't mind the kids at all. Whether you can get a sitter or not, it's all good. If I may suggest, because I'm more on the west side of town, we could maybe meet somewhere in Bandera Point (the Bandera and 1604 area). There are a lot of things there. Tons of restaurants as well as stores and Lord knows what else. Chili's, Carino's, Applebee’s, and T.G.I. Friday's to name just a few. I remember going up there, and just being in shock over all the things that were there.

But meeting next time at Margie's (I-10 and Wurzbach) is cool too. We all plan to meet there sometime next month, and I would highly recommend to any aspies living in the SA area that are even remotely interested to come. We have such an awesome group already, and I hope that it will only grow. Tonight was so awesome guys. I really enjoyed it and can’t thank you all enough for taking time out of your busy lives to attend.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2008, 9:27 pm

We love eating at Mama Margie's (I-10/Wurzbach). I'm looking forward to it. I think Tim was overwhelmed w/ the kids behavior. He gets that way a little bit. Me too, but it just depends on what they're doing.

Tim didn't realized you guys don't live right nearby until I told him after we left. We can do 1604/Bandera area, too. Have you eaten at Jim's? It's delicious and quiet. They have fabulous burgers.

So Mama Margie's next time and Jim's after that? Or just Jim's next time? We don't want to meet only on our side, that wouldn't be fair to you guys.

Want me to invite people from the San Antonio Autism Society?

And do we want to just do this the 3rd Friday of every month? Or change the days? I kind of like knowing it's a specific day every month, so 3rd Friday works for me.

darkness2004
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2008, 10:02 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
We love eating at Mama Margie's (I-10/Wurzbach). I'm looking forward to it. I think Tim was overwhelmed w/ the kids behavior. He gets that way a little bit. Me too, but it just depends on what they're doing.

Tim didn't realized you guys don't live right nearby until I told him after we left. We can do 1604/Bandera area, too. Have you eaten at Jim's? It's delicious and quiet. They have fabulous burgers.

So Mama Margie's next time and Jim's after that? Or just Jim's next time? We don't want to meet only on our side, that wouldn't be fair to you guys.

Want me to invite people from the San Antonio Autism Society?

And do we want to just do this the 3rd Friday of every month? Or change the days? I kind of like knowing it's a specific day every month, so 3rd Friday works for me.

I have eaten at Jim's before and their burgers are very good. I always want to go there with my parents, but my stepdad doesn't care much for the place and thus we never end up going together. So that would be great actually. Let's meet at Margie's for the next meeting and then Jim's next. It's all good. We can set a date for the 3rd Friday of every month for now and of course you can invite people from your group. The more the merrier and don’t worry about how far I need to drive. I live out in the country now so everything’s kind of far now. Don’t sweat it. Let’s just keep meeting up and having fun. That’s all that really matters.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 10:28 pm

Anyone want to start San Antonio WP.net Aspie MySpace or FaceBook group? If anyone wants to eat at a good burger joint, there is Bigz off 1604.

Last edited by RaceDrv709 on 16 May 2008, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 10:36 pm

Awesome is a good choice of a word to describe the meeting. It was very enjoyable for me. I thought I would be more nervous and uncomfortable. Instead, I felt somewhat relieved to witness some typical AS behavior from you all. That helped me feel more normal about mine AS behavior showing up too. It was definitely worth showing up for. Waiting for Carrie and Tim was almost expected from trying to get the kids there. I am so glad everyone that showed up did show up.
People from the Autism Society will be a nice addition for the next meeting. I hope more people from WP who missed this meeting will show up for the next one too.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2008, 12:35 pm

RaceDrv709 wrote:
Anyone want to start San Antonio WP.net Aspie MySpace or FaceBook group? If anyone wants to eat at a good burger joint, there is Bigz off 1604.

I have myspace and facebook, but know nothing about starting up a group. I know about Yahoo groups, though. I can start one of those. Would that be ok?

Also, we like Bigz.

aspiegirl87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2008, 12:43 pm

that would be cool!! !