Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,091
Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

15 Jan 2008, 3:25 pm

I'm an official aspie now.. did the assessment today. Got a diagnosis of dyspraxia thrown in too.

GO ME


_________________
We are the mutant race!! !! Don't look at my eyes, don't look at my face...


Margrethe
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 115
Location: Stavanger, Norway

15 Jan 2008, 3:28 pm

Judging from your style - congratulations! :)

If it's ok - I'm curious... What did you do on the assessment?



asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,258
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

15 Jan 2008, 4:21 pm

Congrats

When I was diagnosed with Aspergers, they throw in Dyslexia and Dyspraxia, and possibly Bipolar (but under control)!

No wonder hated school and could not learn :?


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 285

15 Jan 2008, 4:29 pm

[deleted]



Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 513

15 Jan 2008, 4:36 pm

Congrats on having the courage to actually look for a diagnosis.


_________________
PM me when the revolution comes.

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.


gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2007
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,009
Location: Sydney, Australia

15 Jan 2008, 4:42 pm

Well done!! !

You are now part of the tribe. :)


The dyspraxia is better news too isn't it... I vaguely remember you saying that you thought it might be tourettes - which might have been worse - is that right or am I confused?



Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2007
Age: 114
Gender: Male
Posts: 574
Location: In orbit

15 Jan 2008, 5:39 pm

Welcome to the Club...


_________________
"No matter what the facts are, only the Truth matters"


Mogwaigrrl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 8
Location: Orlando, FL

15 Jan 2008, 5:51 pm

Margrethe wrote:
Judging from your style - congratulations! :)

If it's ok - I'm curious... What did you do on the assessment?


Yes. Not to pry, but I would be curious to hear about the experience as well. I'm going to be facing that myself in upcoming weeks.



neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,182
Location: Britland

15 Jan 2008, 6:55 pm

Yes, welcome to the official diagnosis club. I suspect I may have verbal dyspraxia, but I've not been diagnosed.


_________________
Aspies: Because great minds think alone.


LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,091
Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

17 Jan 2008, 11:42 am

Well it was a lot like the appointment I had with the clinical psychologist, though this woman was obviously very experienced, as she was really sensitive to my feelings, telling me what she was going to do, such as saying "I can take your coat and put it on that hook, if you like".. now I wouldn't really be bothered if she just took it, but now I have talked about it with my boyfriend I understand a lot of Aspies could easily kick off about something like that, and so on. She's an associate of Tantum, who is one of the leading Autism experts in England.

She asked me why I thought I was there, and what kind of sensory things I had (which are loads). She even noticed when a noise happened outside that I immediately jumped and looked towards where it came from! She also asked me about my teenage years, as the questionnaire that my mum had to fill out was only about my childhood, and I never talked to anyone when I was a teenager, so I would be the only one who knew what experiences I had. There were a lot of questions on obsessions and compulsions, which again there are lots that I have! She really liked the fact that my boyfriend and I are like a mutual support system, in that he has to ring ppl all the time and talk to ppl with me when I need to, where I have to take him to shops etc. That made me smile. :)

She explained that it's harder to diagnose a woman because there just isn't enough data on them. She said she took one look at my boyfriend and knew within seconds that he had it! So I would advise all women who think they have it to just get assessed.

She did believe I had it, and gave me an information pack from the National Autistic Society (which you can request to be sent to you from their website), which included a nice business card sized info-card that I can show ppl when I'm too overstimulated/panicked to talk.

She's sending a letter of diagnosis to my GP, and to me to show to whom I want. I can also now apply for DLA, with professional reassurance and proof. All in all, a very good experience.


_________________
We are the mutant race!! !! Don't look at my eyes, don't look at my face...


Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,931
Location: Croydon

17 Jan 2008, 12:15 pm

gbollard wrote:
Well done!! !

You are now part of the tribe. :)




Image
hay!! !! ! Now we can all die alone.



KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,833
Location: f'ton,manchester UK

17 Jan 2008, 12:18 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Well it was a lot like the appointment I had with the clinical psychologist, though this woman was obviously very experienced, as she was really sensitive to my feelings, telling me what she was going to do, such as saying "I can take your coat and put it on that hook, if you like".. now I wouldn't really be bothered if she just took it, but now I have talked about it with my boyfriend I understand a lot of Aspies could easily kick off about something like that, and so on. She's an associate of Tantum, who is one of the leading Autism experts in England.

She asked me why I thought I was there, and what kind of sensory things I had (which are loads). She even noticed when a noise happened outside that I immediately jumped and looked towards where it came from! She also asked me about my teenage years, as the questionnaire that my mum had to fill out was only about my childhood, and I never talked to anyone when I was a teenager, so I would be the only one who knew what experiences I had. There were a lot of questions on obsessions and compulsions, which again there are lots that I have! She really liked the fact that my boyfriend and I are like a mutual support system, in that he has to ring ppl all the time and talk to ppl with me when I need to, where I have to take him to shops etc. That made me smile. :)

She explained that it's harder to diagnose a woman because there just isn't enough data on them. She said she took one look at my boyfriend and knew within seconds that he had it! So I would advise all women who think they have it to just get assessed.

She did believe I had it, and gave me an information pack from the National Autistic Society (which you can request to be sent to you from their website), which included a nice business card sized info-card that I can show ppl when I'm too overstimulated/panicked to talk.

She's sending a letter of diagnosis to my GP, and to me to show to whom I want. I can also now apply for DLA, with professional reassurance and proof. All in all, a very good experience.

Those dla assessers are awful,shouldn't have to have official diagnosis to get DLA,as it's supposed to be about support needs and not specific disabilities.
In one town,would get it without the label-but in another,have to fight for it even more-thats' bad,but then that happens with everything ASD related doesn't it.


_________________
>severely autistic.
>>the residential autist; http://theresidentialautist.blogspot.co.uk
blogging from the view of an ex institutionalised autism/ID activist now in community care.
>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!


quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 326

17 Jan 2008, 1:12 pm

I made an appointment today with a psychologist at my university. I don't know whether she's a specialist, but I'm hoping she's as receptive as yours sounded. I'm terrified that she's going to tell me I'm a liar or something because I am very high functioning.



AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 88
Location: D.C.

17 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

Welcome aboard! :D



wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,888
Location: Humboldt County California

18 Jan 2008, 1:31 am

I'm deep in the crowd here jumping up and down trying to gain your attention....


CONGRATUALTIONS! :cheers: I think :scratch: :wink:


_________________
fides solus
===============
LIBRARIES... Hardware stores for the mind


LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,091
Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

18 Jan 2008, 11:49 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Those dla assessers are awful,shouldn't have to have official diagnosis to get DLA,as it's supposed to be about support needs and not specific disabilities.
In one town,would get it without the label-but in another,have to fight for it even more-thats' bad,but then that happens with everything ASD related doesn't it.


I know, I applied in June, and it's still ongoing after one appeal. For some reason, they keep saying I'm not "severe" enough to get it. That form was full of everything.. the time it takes for me to get myself up in the morning, the struggle I have with leaving the house, the fact I have to depend on someone else to talk to important people and ring people up for me. I also have to be reminded to eat, as I tend to forget, or just not have the motivation to do so. All these are "severe" enough for me to get some sort of support, but no, they have to wait for a professional to agree with me before they can do it. Lets see if formal diagnoses of depression, dyspraxia, and Asperger's is enough for them to help.


_________________
We are the mutant race!! !! Don't look at my eyes, don't look at my face...