Lack of Confidence and Perfectionism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

purplesky
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2008, 6:44 am

For taking many tests in school, I would never answer a question if I was not 100 percent sure, even if I was 90 percent certain of something. I would rather say nothing than say something wrong. A lot of test scores came out a lot lower than they should have been due to this. Why am I like this? Why would I rather not answer than give the wrong response?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 7:09 am

I used to be the EXACT SAME WAY! On tests, though, I DID take an educated guess. That was RARE, as I used to have the uncanny ability to know if an answer was wrong.

santabarbarian

18 Jan 2008, 7:32 am

Ditto. It actually took me 8 years to finish college because of my perfectionism, but I did graduate with honors in Finance.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2008, 7:33 am

at school if i did not know the answer i would make an educated guess trying to base my answer on something else that i knew. now i am at uni the exams are negativly marked (i.e. get it right +1 mark, get it wrong -1mark or you can abstain & get 0). this makes it so difficult as if i am about 80% sure of the answer i never know whether to abstain or answer it so again i am probably getting lower marks than what i could do if i was more confident

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 7:50 am

Called fearing to be Wrong, i.e:- even if you think an answer is wright but everyone else is saying the other, you will go with the majority just incase you get it wrong, that way if you do your in the boat with the rest of them...

Prior To Understanding What The Problems Are, An Individual Can Head In Many Different Directions, Wasting Valuable Time & Effort. When S?He Learns What The Problems Are & What Can Be Done Then S?He Has a ?Compass? To Guide Him/Her

ps1r3n

18 Jan 2008, 8:10 am

I can totally relate to this, I hated to get anything wrong when I was at school, I'm a bit better now but still sometimes don't answer something (e.g. when watching a quiz show with other people) in case my answer is so far off I look stupid. I put it down to being ridiculed as a kid for normal kid things like getting words wrong. My parents didn't mean anyting nasty by it, they were just laughing at something funny but it really got to me if people laughed at me when I wasn't trying to be funny.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 9:48 am

Here's another way of looking at the problem.

Muslim artists, carpenters and builders will always make a slight error when creating something. The reason for this is that according to Islam only Allah can create something perfect.

Then again. I've only once scored 100% in a test.

Ed Almos

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 4:23 am

I won't even graduate. I just can't work properly. I'm never ever satisfied with a result.
And if someone tries to give me a good grade, I stonewall them. I feel that I'm being mocked, or something.

"Called fearing to be Wrong, i.e:- even if you think an answer is wright but everyone else is saying the other, you will go with the majority just incase you get it wrong, that way if you do your in the boat with the rest of them..."

That doesn't fit. When everyone says the same thing, it makes me even more nervous. At times, I've erased my answer because everyone else used it.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

19 Jan 2008, 5:04 am

I couldn't even answer the question if I didn't know the answer because I wanted to get it right. Not answering a question gets marked wrong automatically by the teacher.

ps1r3n

19 Jan 2008, 5:22 am

edal wrote:

Muslim artists, carpenters and builders will always make a slight error when creating something. The reason for this is that according to Islam only Allah can create something perfect.

Sounds like this Allah guy has issues

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:44 am

ps1r3n wrote:
edal wrote:

Sounds like this Allah guy has issues

'm sure you know that allah is their name for god, and you made a joke. :D

You are right though! They made a self fulfilling prophecy! Ironically, artists, carpenters, and builders can ******NEVER****** acheive perfection! WHY????

1. They aren't perfect.
2. Materials and aestetics aren't perfect.
3. The WORLD isn't perfect!

SO, I guess they are afraid that if they tried to acheive perfection that they would FAIL! If they failed, they would PROVE that god was a failure! After all, if god was PERFECT and HONEST and JUST, he would make US perfect ALSO, RIGHT? And the materials would be perfect and so would the WORLD!

YEAH, SOME claim we couldn't be trusted, wars, etc... But THAT shows a lack of perfection!! !!

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:49 am

If i wasn't sure about da ansa i would put a ruff guess but most of da tym i would N/A as i don't particularly like stickin 2 dat 1 question so i move on n try n complete da test as soon as possible.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 10:20 am

I am perfectionistic sometimes, but only in the hope that I may become a better perfectionist.

:wink:

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 10:35 am

purplesky wrote:
For taking many tests in school, I would never answer a question if I was not 100 percent sure, even if I was 90 percent certain of something. I would rather say nothing than say something wrong. A lot of test scores came out a lot lower than they should have been due to this. Why am I like this? Why would I rather not answer than give the wrong response?

I'll do that in class for discussions (and I ONLY talk in class if I like the teacher, otherwise I start getting a bit rude...my grade 9 math teacher is still scared to talk to me, and I don't blame him. My honesty sucks for other people sometimes), but tests I just guess and hope. Mind you, I obsess about the answer for hours, but I do put something down because it makes me feel worse to not have anything down and wonder if my answer could have been right.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 11:59 am

howzat wrote:
If i wasn't sure about da ansa i would put a ruff guess but most of da tym i would N/A as i don't particularly like stickin 2 dat 1 question so i move on n try n complete da test as soon as possible.

Do you go to a mainstream school? Do you write like that in english class? What do they say?

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 12:12 pm

I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist. I'm more self-destructive when it comes to poor performance, however. If it's anything below a B it is failure, and if it is a B it is failing. :(

If anyone is like me, then I shouldn't tell you how surprised people get when they ask your grades and you respond "I didn't do too good, I failed. I got a B."

2ukenkerl wrote:

You are right though! They made a self fulfilling prophecy! Ironically, artists, carpenters, and builders can ******NEVER****** acheive perfection! WHY????

1. They aren't perfect.
2. Materials and aestetics aren't perfect.
3. The WORLD isn't perfect!

SO, I guess they are afraid that if they tried to acheive perfection that they would FAIL! If they failed, they would PROVE that god was a failure! After all, if god was PERFECT and HONEST and JUST, he would make US perfect ALSO, RIGHT? And the materials would be perfect and so would the WORLD!

YEAH, SOME claim we couldn't be trusted, wars, etc... But THAT shows a lack of perfection!! !!

Actually, no. Why would He make you perfect, honest, and just? "There can be only one!"

I used to like that show.