The most unnatural of normal NT social activities

Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:15 pm

Beach picnics are my biggest hatred. Everyone seems to love them. I don't know what there is to adore so much about us women having to get up at 6:00 to prepare tons of salads and the rest of the food and drink, and stand in the scorching sun laying the tables, then trying to get the sun out of the food, while the men sit and talk or go for a swim. Then roasting in the unbearable sun for a whole day doing nothing and talking to people who have nothing interesting to say. Nobody understands why I despise beach picnics, though. The women, especially, love them. I once swore never to attend one anymore, and I never will. I don't even attend when it's from work. I say I'm allergic to the sun.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:33 pm

Being in a public washroom, with a whole bunch of girls and waiting for a toilet, while they chat about hair, guys, make-up and Top 40 music. I've actually snuck into the men's washroom, once and I've bumped into one of my best friends, who's a man. :oops:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

:D :D :D :D

I loved that one, cockneyrebel ! !! Good for you!! !

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 4:33 pm

When I was volunteering at my kids' school, the other mothers would tell me that I'd look so cute if I got my hair cut. I felt that they were pressuring me to conform with the soccor mom style. Maybe it's a right of passage that when you have a kid school, you need to cut your hair.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 4:44 pm

That's so true here too! The moment you become a mom you're supposed to wear your hair short. If you don't, you don't belong, they see you as having "different" values.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 5:55 pm

Smoking cigarrettes. It starts as a social thing. The "cool" (stupid) kids were doing it, the somewhat less "cool" (but just as stupid) kids wanted to be with the cool kids, so they started smoking aswell. Then it turns into a completely useless addiction that stays with them for life and makes said life significantly shorter. And stinkier. Cool, innit?

Drinking alcohol. What the f**k? Ingesting pints of brain-numbing, nauseating, aggression-inducing poison just to be social? It's disgusting and idiotic. And yet almost every single person does it.

And funerals. f*****g funerals. Hey, friends and family of the dead guy! Let's put make-up (and don't get me started on how stupid make-up is) on his corpse, put it in a really expensive wooden box and get together and mope around it and then put the box with the corpse in the ground where it does no good what-so-ever! s**t. After I die, I want my body eaten by vultures (I'm not a vegetarian, so I should at least be kind enough to give something back to nature), with no get-together of any sort connected to it.

f**k it, all ceremonies are stupid. Weddings (the more expensive, the stupider), child baptisms (deciding that a newborn child with no concept of religion and no choice in the matter belongs to a church is cruel and immoral - and some people even baptise their children without even being religious themselves just because it's tradition, and that's just f*****g stupid), and so forth. And anything where people are expected to act or look a certain way is evil.

Oh, and shopping just for the sake of shopping. I have no idea if that's a social thing or whatever, but NOBODY NEEDS TWELVE PAIRS OF SHOES! If you've got enough money to spend just for the fun of spending it, give it to me instead so I can buy a ticket the f**k out of this limbohole and go study film in Canada.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:00 pm

heh Vince I never really understood alcohol, I mean , if it is supposed to give you more fun how come you always end up forgetting what you did last night? And I always saw my parents not feeling all right the day after so I doubt it is worth it...

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
heh Vince I never really understood alcohol, I mean , if it is supposed to give you more fun how come you always end up forgetting what you did last night? And I always saw my parents not feeling all right the day after so I doubt it is worth it...

Word. I've always felt that the logic of "I must have had a blast last night 'cause I can't remember a thing and now I feel like s**t" is somewhat flawed.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:19 pm

[But, if you're female, you'd have the curse of being invited to Tupperware Parties, or Amway parties or make up parties. It's awkward to say no but if you go to one of those things, it's bad. Do they still do those parties? I haven't been asked to go to one for a long time .[/quote]

Yep, they exist. I had one friend who would ring me when ever she had one, then not speak to me all night. I guess I was just there to make up numbers. I don't see much of her anymore.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:23 pm

My biggest problem with some NTs is that they are often overly judgemental of people who aren't normal, for example, us. And how anything outside of 'normal behaviour', ie being a loner, not making eye contact, being obsessed with your interests, is sinister.
:?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jan 2008, 6:28 pm

I once got invited to something called a "Pick A Pearl Party." I didn't quite know what to expect, but it was incredibly boring and stupid. Lots of other women sat around in the hostess's house, and there was a bucket of oysters, from which people got pick one, hoping it contained a pearl. I know I came across as weird, felt horribly awkward, didn't care about pearls, and wondered when they'd serve refreshments. I finally left, and knew that all the other guests thought I was rude. The hostess gave me some delicious cookies to take home.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 7:50 pm

Any social gathering where I’m expected to act normal is hell for me. I’m the quiet on sitting or even standing at the back by myself observing everything that goes on. I’m also usually the one who leaves early because I’m uncomfortable or bored.

And god forbid if I’m with a group that gets all excited over some little thing and I show no interest. They automatically assume that I’m being a negative pain in the butt for not showing the same level of enthusiasm.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Being in a public washroom, with a whole bunch of girls and waiting for a toilet, while they chat about hair, guys, make-up and Top 40 music. I've actually snuck into the men's washroom, once and I've bumped into one of my best friends, who's a man. :oops:

agreed. but the reason for the chatting is to provide something to do. u know that there is always a line for the girls toilet, but the stuff they choose to chat about is BORING!

i also agree that alcohol, cigarettes and stuff like that are STUPID! and what is the big deal about not being interested in the same stuff that everyone else is. doesn't make u evil. Are mums really supposed to cut their hair? i see lots of mums with long hair, doesn't make a difference.

School is just a big social activity.. half the time u don't learn anything contructive.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:56 pm

Driving SUV's.
Living far from where one works- expected. "I need the drive home to unwind." ! !!
Bottled water.
Plastic shopping bags.
"Disposable" cutlery- I wash it and reuse it if I have it. Hell, "disposable" anything.
McMansions.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:03 pm

riverotter wrote:
Driving SUV's.
Living far from where one works- expected. "I need the drive home to unwind." ! !!
Bottled water.
Plastic shopping bags.
"Disposable" cutlery- I wash it and reuse it if I have it. Hell, "disposable" anything.
McMansions.

I don't even know what that last one is, but the other ones I wouldn't call social activities as much as...ideas.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:07 pm

Vince wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Driving SUV's.
Bottled water.
Plastic shopping bags.
McMansions.

I don't even know what that last one is, but the other ones I wouldn't call social activities as much as...ideas.

Ok...you are right about that...I was perseverating. (McMansions are huge houses people use to show off their social standing).