2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

Likho wrote:
Quote:
What is positive about autism?
nothing.

Have you really tried to look? I mean many may be like the example I gave, try to sell tickets to passengers, and try to start an airline with that 747. The customers may complain about the lack of seats, and you may go broke, but those planes STILL have their charm!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:26 pm

being HF as opposed to LFA? I dunno. Being able to organize things...;)

triva fact- the song 'Honesty', by Billy Joel, didn't have words for the longest time. There was another band member who thought up dirty lyrics, in case they didn't have any. The song came very close to being called 'Sodomy'...no lie...;)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:40 pm

I'm really smart because of it, I have a logicalness (Is that a word? :P) that has some great advantages, and I see life clear of NT tricks and games :D I also love my brutal honesty, even if it does give me trouble a lot of the time :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:17 pm

pakled wrote:
being HF as opposed to LFA? I dunno. Being able to organize things...;)

triva fact- the song 'Honesty', by Billy Joel, didn't have words for the longest time. There was another band member who thought up dirty lyrics, in case they didn't have any. The song came very close to being called 'Sodomy'...no lie...;)

How about that famous song called "scrambled eggs"!?!?!? SEE, it isn't so unusual. Oh yeah, as for the "scrambled eggs" song! WHAT'S THAT? You never heard it???? It was a BIG beatles hit! Maybe you know it buy the new name the gave it! YESTERDAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCjaiXmUb0

WOW, I remembered them having more passion. 8-(

Oh well, as long as I am recalling this, what about a song to julian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXG83p2n ... re=related

At least THAT shows some of the passion! :lol:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:18 pm

-consistent, compulsive honesty

-heightened sensory abilities (this is good or bad, depending on the situation)

-ability to focus with extreme intensity

-ability to ignore that which is irrelevant to one's interests and/or goals

-childlike playfulness

-self-awareness (due to ample opportunities for introspection)

-ability to think independently and ignore "peer pressure"

-excellent long-term memory

-ability to remember numbers and lists of facts

-ability to easily understand categories and systems (including languages and mathematics)

-attention to detail and ability to remember details

Ginap73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 10:37 pm

I know how to have fun. Where my family doesn't.

We went to disneyland sunday but it was ablock out day for our passes, so we went to Downtown disney instead. I had sooooooo much fun, They had outdoor entertainment and everything, and My aunt said she had a horrible time and yelled at me for not looking at her pass calendar for her. oh well.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Jan 2008, 10:57 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Getting a degree in maths and thinking "Wow! That was easy"

I wish I could do that LOL. I am terrible at math.

Anyway...a positive thing about autism, for me, would be my ability to focus on one thing at a time, for a long period of time without getting bored. This helped me a lot when I was in school when doing assignments.
Also, I compensated for my lack of ability to connect with humans by having an extraodinary connection with animals. They seem to be drawn to me...animals that are afriad of humans, aren't afraid of me. It's weird...but fantastic at the same time.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 11:00 pm

[/b]Ginap73 wrote:[b]

Quote:
We went to disneyland sunday but it was ablock out day for our passes, so we went to Downtown disney instead. I had sooooooo much fun, They had outdoor entertainment and everything, and My aunt said she had a horrible time and yelled at me for not looking at her pass calendar for her. oh well.

Downtown Disney ROCKS. My kids would look forward more to going there than going to the parks. Can you tell Aspie kids might like a LEGO store?? :lol:

We went down every year for about 6 years, and every year we hit Downtown Disney for at LEAST an entire day. No admission, the crowds aren't bad, there's food and shopping non-stop.

Last edited by AspieDave on 22 Jan 2008, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginap73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 11:06 pm

I was only in the lego store for less than 5 min. They wanted to go. I only got thru 1/2 of the disney store there because they wanted to go...

I love downtown disney. The rest of my family assumes fun means rides.. I like the odd things like calif adventure redwood trail. and walking the whole park several times. They only like to stay like 2-3 hours at a time.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:37 am

Simple pleasure. Wind on my skin, feel of a clean puppy.

Childlike wonder ." Geodes: they dont polish them up THEY GROW LIKE THAT!"

Attention to detail. As an artist it's an irreplacible gift.

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2008, 4:34 am

littlebopeep wrote:
What do you see are the positive attributes of autism?

I think most of the ones I would give have been listed. I'm not sure if anyone said...

a tendency to see all people as equals.

Egalitarianism. Aspies might think they are from another planet, but they would not be so likely to say, "Take me to your leader." :-)

creativity. originality. sensitivity. perseveration. an amazing amount of patience with non-autistics. Remembering words (for me, it's words, not numerals.) mimicking sounds/accents.

the autistic "kiss": forehead to forehead.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 6:55 am

What i got out of autism thats positive, is a lot of mental strength. I had to fight to walk, to talk, to eat right, to dress myself, to do everything most nts take for granted, and i think i'm a stronger person due to it, and I never ever give up. I personally think autism turned me into a fighter.

Everybody else pretty much mentioned everything else haha 8) ...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 8:37 am

The things that are positive about my autism, is that I was strong enough to withstand peer pressure, when I was in School. I can think for myself, and I listen to the type of music and wear the style of clothes, that I like. I'm also, very independent. I'm living on my own, and I'm not moving back in with my parents, and I'm glad, that they didn't hand me over to the government. I'm a highly creative person, and I can do some amazing art, for someone who's never payed through their nose, to go to Art College. I can pay my own bills and cook my own meals. I'm not sucked into the latest things, that the TV world has to offer, and I would be contempt to watch my Monkees videos, over again. I'd even consider getting the episodes on DVD. I know enough to keep my apartment clean, and tidy. I'm also able to hold down a job, and I've held down a job, that I've hated, for three years, until I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression, ten years ago, in the spring. I'm able to speak my mind, and I can stick up for myself, just fine. I also have opinions, that I'm not afraid to express. I'm very intelligent, and I was able to make it onto the A Honour Role, during my last two and a half years, of High School. The reason that I was able to do that, was because I had the time to do the work, due to the fact, that I knew who my real friends were, and I wasn't going to waste my time, hanging out with bimbos, that I had nothing in common with. I also have a childlike wonder, and no, that does not make me immature. There are a lot of children's movies, that I like to watch, and I think that they're better than most grown-up movies, that have the sex and profanity. I think that I have better tastes in movies, than the "mature" NTs, who happen to be my age. I'm also not afraid to buy collector's items, that might look like ordinary toys, to the judgmental eye.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2008, 9:27 am

Age1600 wrote:
What i got out of autism thats positive, is a lot of mental strength. I had to fight to walk, to talk, to eat right, to dress myself, to do everything most nts take for granted, and i think i'm a stronger person due to it, and I never ever give up. I personally think autism turned me into a fighter.

Everybody else pretty much mentioned everything else haha 8) ...

+1. I didn't have all the same issues you did, but they certainly have made me more resilient imo. Coming up with ways to turn disadvantages into advantages is a kind of thinking I like and more importantly, respect.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 9:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also have a childlike wonder, and no, that does not make me immature. There are a lot of children's movies, that I like to watch, and I think that they're better than most grown-up movies, that have the sex and profanity. I think that I have better tastes in movies, than the "mature" NTs, who happen to be my age.

Yes.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2008, 11:45 am

Ginap73 wrote:
I know how to have fun. Where my family doesn't.

For aspies at least, don't know other forms myself, but having fun. I have it and husband might.
We were away this weekend with my extended family, and about three times my mom looked at us and commented. "They are just like children"
I told her she was jealous as she never has fun.
Don't underestimate the value of being able to enjoy childlike fun. Everyone else seems to loose it. Very sad.