Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:52 am

i do over analyze too,

someguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2008, 4:13 pm

Yep I swear sometimes I can't even buy a toothbrush without getting online and reading all the pros cons of various models and researching it to the nth degree.

It's a great asset in a lot of ways, but I get caught up in analysis paralysis way too often where I just keeping turning things over in my head and reading more and more and become almost unable to make a decision. Fortunately this is really only a problem when it comes to major life altering type decisions :roll:

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

23 Jan 2008, 4:31 pm

I am one of those chronic over-analyzers. It can be a bit of a pain when I cannot convince my mind to let something go, especially if a sense of paranoia is involved; but it is also a gift, for I often find things in my over analysis that most others miss or never notice.

In general, I try to count a predilection for deep analysis amongst my strengths. I like to understand, and to solve problems; I try to drive my over-analysis tendencies to these areas, and away from paranoia. Sometimes I'm even successful at doing this; but I often get myself into trouble.

Good fortune,

- Icarus needs a break from all the over analyzing

chella
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2008, 6:58 pm

I over-analyze quite frequently. It's a big problem why I have insomnia. Over analysis of things brings up lots of negativity and doubts and worry. It's like I Feel if i can break something down completely and know every part of it I can handle it better or be in control for once. But it just drives me crazy lol

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 1:47 am

Watched Manchurian Candidate today...finished movie...went online to read everything about it...read the ACLU webpage to see what I could find that could resemble some of that craziness...read even Christian websites discussing this...all kinds of mind control pages, blah, blah...

2 hours after the movie was over, I'm still awake...can't go to bed...reading, reading...

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2008, 2:50 am

I was just told this week that I'm "Very analytical"... and it was suggested that I find a career that used analytical thinking.... I'm just not really good in math though... I wonder what career that would be? I keep trying to find a career for me... one that I could keep doing despite my autistic spectrum disorder... and be 1/2 way good at... it would be great to have a career I at least 1/2 way enjoyed too..

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2008, 10:26 pm

be a detective

lol

mr monk :P

haha

i saw i movie once and thought yea id be a good detective

but howmany jobs/experiences can we have?????

lol theres too many to choose :P

lol
hmmmm... "I guess its more who we work with than what we work..." haha...
and yea... good work conditions like lunch break haha :P

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2008, 10:46 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
I got my last IQ test online through some site called tickle, it was in English (not my native language, some questions were hard to understand) which changed my score for the better or the worse, I don't know. The result was 133.

If they included things like "emotional intelligence" (oxymoron?) or "social intelligence" I guess my IQ would drop back to 100 then :)

har Ive done that test twice, once a few years ago and the other just this month. Both times I scored 133.

Anyway yeah I over analyse things all the time. I also do a lot of hypothetical situations "If this happened what would I do/how should I act/what should I say" all the time. Hell I love thinking and when Im really thinking hard it annoys me when people interrupt to say something really trivial.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 12:25 am

The purpose of analysis is to attend closely to detail so that the big picture can be more fully comprehended. The act of integrating parts into a whole is sometimes called synthesis.

I don't think there is such a thing as overanalyzing. Don't let social pressure keep you from searching for the truth.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Ginap73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2008, 2:10 am

I do.

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2008, 5:44 am

I do too. To the point of anxiety and panic attacks. Even small things such as making a cup of tea can be stressful because I tend to analyse the order in which I do everything and how I do it.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 5:52 am

I think thats one of our great traits, that makes us more interesting and discover things...

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 6:23 am

No comment on the grounds that i may incriminate...
not the guy that posted this :P

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

28 Jan 2008, 6:54 am

Some say I think too much...I say, they don't think enough.

I seem to over analyze a lot of things...and sometimes that is not such a bad thing. It has lead me to come to some good decisions and even to some good discussions. It sometimes does hinder me to perform tasks, though, because I will spend more time thinking about it than actually doing it. Then again, thinking about something a lot gives you a higher chance of making a better decision...either that, or you'll end up running out of time and making an irrational choice.
Also, over-analysis can lead to some great discoveries. Think of all of those famous historical scientists who did great things...i'm sure they thought a LOT about it, tested their theories many, many times and then thought about it some more...only then to look at it from a whole other angle and start the whole thinking and testing process all over again.

In any sense, they human mind is meant to think.

mel01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2008, 10:50 pm

yes to the extent of not doing ther thing in the first place or not remembering the question i had started to analize in the first place as one topic has blended into another and im so busy analizing that i forgot what i was meant to be thinking about in the first place.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2008, 9:41 am

I do this all the time. It is both a blessing and a curse :) . I especially tend to over-analyze people because I get very bewildered by their actions and I try to make sense of them in my own way. A lot of the time, my interactions with others are painfully awkward :( but in a way it is also useful!.. Life can be interesting, if not always pleasant.