Let's get one thing straight about being an Aspie

Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:23 am

normal is a three-dimensional vector which is perpendicular to a surface!

I'm not depressed. I'm less anxious than many NTs. cure this!

TheMandalore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2008, 4:32 am

Its part of who I am, and I wouldn't care to be someone different. If taking away any negative aspie traits would me changing me even slightly, then I'd say its an easy choice to remain Aspie. Then again, thats probably my aspie stubborness speaking. :wink:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:44 am

I am grateful for what I've been given. I am autistic and this is my mind, strength, and identity. I wouldn't be the strong scientist I am without the intrinsically analytical mind I've been given. In Greek, the word 'aut' means 'mind' and this is where I reside.

Yes, it's hard being a (high-functioning) autistic but I am grateful and would not choose otherwise.

From the definition of zero: "In the mind there is infinity between the void." Autistics are infinite in fractal detail.

As far as happy? Well, tortured genius? I've been described as such. I'm working on trying to be less tortured though (ouch).

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:37 am

I took the Popeye cure.

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam."

I can accept my perfection, at least one other perfect person does, nothing else counts.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:45 am

On most days, I like being an Aspie.
On certain days, I hate it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:59 am

I'm a happy to be Aspie! I'm just glad that I did ABA! :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 6:29 am

stevechoi wrote:
Do you guys actually LIKE being an Aspie? Do you wish you were normal?

There are thousands of posts regarding Asperger. But I want to know, do you guys actually like being one? Or do you just like talking about it?

I don't mean any disrespect, I'm an Aspie myself. I know for sure it's not a good thing, because of the depression and anxiety that comes with it.

HOW do you know it isn't a good thing? I keep comparing AMD and INTEL but DANG IT if it isn't such a BEAUTIFUL comparison!

Recently, a guy, who clearly knows NOTHING about computers, but claims to, was surprised to see that I had an AMD based computer. He said he heard they were SLOWER! Through most of AMDs history with intel, they have done things like created chips that run at 1.53Ghz and given them names like 1800! WHY? Because the chip, in general, was SO much faster, that the AMD at 1.53Ghz ran like an intel chip at 1.8Ghz! BTW, to continue to show his ignorance, he said that my computer was MUCH faster than his, implying he believed it was the processors efficiency. He didn't even know how fast the clock was. Anyway, AMD IS slower in SOME things, though even THOSE might be faster if it is run at the same real clock speed.

So how is that similar to aspergers? BOTH are processors! BOTH can do the same things! BOTH appear better from different views. BOTH, if all things are given equal weight, might appear roughly equal. The AMD processor has a bit of a disadvantage because it is always trying to look something like an INTEL chip. INTEL is generally the winner because it was there first and has the biggest numbers. HECK, AMD has an A in it, and INTEL has an NT!

But, who knows. Most people NEVER really try to use their potential. I know I haven't. I am trying to do things now I never wanted to do before, but probably should have. I think EVERYONE has far more potential than they ever try to use, even most of those that test with pretty low IQs. Maybe those people, that feel AS is SO bad, haven't given themselves much of a chance.

Did you know that the average CPU only does ONE thing when it starts up? It simply goes to a location, and tries to run an instruction there. Under normal circumstances, it will then CRASH!
An IBM PC can do what it does ONLY because a little program called the BIOS is there and it runs the BDOS which then loads a program that loads a program that starts up the OS. If you pull out that ONE chip, the best computer will seem useful for nothing but a doorstop!

With people, that BDOS could be considered equivalent to an initiative or drive. Even an NT without one would seem like an idiot.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2008, 6:39 am

I'm happy being Aspie. :) I admit there are sometimes disadvantages to it, but I couldn't imagine myself being any other way, and I find that things like paying greater attention to detail have helped me so much with what I do (especially with drawing). Plus, the obsessions are always fun to have! :P

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

23 Jan 2008, 6:55 am

Over all, I like being an aspie. It's all i've known, so I can't compare it to anything else. Like anyone, I have my good days and my bad...but I am myself and whether or not I like it, I can't change who I am.
There are some things that I just have had to accept about myself and having AS is one of them. Theres no point in dwelling on what I can't change.

Nothingness
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2008, 7:19 am

I don't actually know, sence I havn't tried being a NT. I think I like to be an aspie - sometimes, and sometimes I hate it. But mostly, even if it sort of complicates everything, I like being an aspie. And if I ever start feeling better and so on I think I will be very happy about it...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 7:19 am

I haven't really put much thought into it; I seem to make it day by day just like the next human, I have some unique positives; unique negatives due to my autistic disorder/Asperger's disorder (yay for two diagnoses).

I'm just another human who has a label that explains why I do some "odd" things compared to the majority of humanity; said label doesn't define me for it doesn't control me. Said label gives the majority a reason for why I am, so they don't assume the worst when I don't look at them, talk to them, go out of my way to interact with them, etcetera.

Walkers, talkers and all that; some are both, some are one, and some change over time.

I'm just a walker, and I'm happy with that.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2008, 8:25 am

Hello. I like being an Aspie. The memory and other things I get from it are more useful, I think, than the social skills I would have without it.

smaug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2008, 8:31 am

I'm comfortable with who I am, but not comfortable with the state of my life at the moment, if that makes sense. I wouldn't trade in Asperger's - and thus my identity, because losing it would be a major, major change - but I wouldn't mind some extra motivation, focus and perseverance, either.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:43 am

I like my mind, I wouldn't really trade it.

I would be happy to have a switch to get it in autopilot mode for social stuff, that would make everything easier.

But if I can't get that I would stick to my current brain wiring.

Who knows? Perhaps normal people are worse than we are, and they are just better at hiding it...

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:55 am

shopaholic wrote:
Since I have no idea what it would be like to be an NT, I can't really answer that.

As others have said, I would like to keep the good bits & maybe ditch the bad.

Simply put...."You don't miss what you've never had."

The depression was an issue for me when I was younger...but as I remained undiagnosed until my 30's...maybe it wouldn't have been such an issue if I had only known. Who knows?

I'm happy as is...because "this" is all I know.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:13 am

I don't mind talking about and I don't mind being one. In fact, if I was an NT, I would be a different person altogether and the people who genuinely like me now might not if I were different. I actually quite like being an aspie, but then I'm a high functioning aspie so it doesn't have a massive impact on my life.