Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheFace
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2008, 5:42 am

Ok, well to be frank after reading a lot the latest infomration out there about whats really going on with Autism Speaks frankly there really pissing me off. While I might not have all the connections that they have, and all the money they get from there propoganda films I do have knowledge about building websites, a lot of time and I've become passionate about this.

But guess what, I kinda need your guy's help to raise awairness about whats really going on. If any of you own a blog, website, myspace or facebook account or anything please add a link too: http://www.thezach.net/about/aspergers/aspeak

The reason I'm asking for links is simple, the more people that see it the more awareness is raised. We have a platform on the internet and I'm about to get on the platform.

I also need your help - if you have any information regarding crap Autism Speaks is doing please let me know via PM so I can update the page.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 8:52 am

Hello, Zach,

Up until a couple of days ago, I knew little and cared less about Autism Speaks. Then the "NT Speaks" parody-page kerfuffle hit the blogosphere, so I had to go and have a looky-loo, didn't I? Just to see what all the commotion was about.

Going by this policy statement, they seem at pains not to put themselves completely offside with the "vaccines cause autism" lobby:

Quote:
The thimerosal question has highlighted a number of points whose further consideration should significantly advance autism research. First, although genes are believed to play a major role in autism, more attention needs to be paid to mechanisms where genes exert their influence by altering susceptibility to environmental exposures and mechanisms by which environmental exposures may alter gene expression. Second, there is a great need, when studying environmental exposures, to find ways of identifying highly susceptible individuals. And, third, because autism is a complex condition possibly having multiple causes, researchers need to find reliable ways to distinguish autism subgroups with distinct etiologies.

So far, so motherhood 'n' apple pie. Then I looked at the "In Their Own Words" section, and this was the tally, as of today:

• Mothers of children on the autistic spectrum: 27
  • Fathers of children on the autistic spectrum: 7
  • Brothers/Sisters: 5
  • Grandmother: 1
  • University professor: 1
  • Lawyer: 1
  • Executive VP of Autism Speaks: 1
  • Teachers: 2
  • Girl, 18, with AS (her entry was divided into two parts): 1
  • Boy, Year 11, with AS (his entry was submitted by his grandfather): 1

This speaks for itself, if you'll pardon the pun. :)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 2:48 pm

Hi Zach

Autism Speaks pisses me off too. I think that now is the perfect time to take action because of the recent media coverage of their controversial actions.

I looked at your site. I think it is effective in its simplicity--you provide the most important information, and allow people to draw their own conclusions. Here are some suggestions:

In the "'Autism Everyday' Or Not" section, you could mention that a mother was recently found guilty of murdering her autistic daughter in order to "fix" her, and link to one of the many news articles about it.

Also I found the wording of this title to be confusing at first glance:

Quote:
Mother of Autistic Boy who is the daughter of Autism Speaks Creators disagree with Autism Speaks

Something like this would be more clear:

Quote:
Disagreement between Autism Speaks Creators and Their Daughter, the Mother of an Autistic Boy, Ignites Controversy

Do what you want, of course. I find constructive criticism to be helpful, so I thought you might as well.

I support your efforts and I will link to your site if and when I can.