Do NT teens swear more than Aspie teens?

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 7:58 am

I myself almost never swear. My 13 year old never swear either. Swearing words feel like rocks on your path that might trip you. They feel unnatural and don't flow with my speech (and I'm a talkative person). I never had to tell my kids not to swear, they simply don't. I don't really understand this and if it has anything to do with autism. Both of my parents swear often. Maybe that's why, I always seem to (subconsciously) try to be different from them. :D

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 9:43 am

being visual thinkers, we see the image of those cuss words, and it's not a nice one... However, sometimes aspies can cuss when being bullied because we don't have the right words to express our anger, and because of rage attacks.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2015, 11:43 am

What?

I'm practically a cuss machine, actually. :p

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
What?

I'm practically a cuss machine, actually. :p

Me too.

When I was a teen I got into trouble numerous times for cursing around my friend's families. The words woulds usually leave my mouth before my brain realized that it wasn't appropriate.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

I swore alot as a teen & still do

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm

I swear occasionally around most people, but a lot around Mum. It's because of her reaction mainly :P, it's pretty funny but she doesn't really mind. I swear because of pain, to emphasise or deliver the punchline of a joke or just because I want to.

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2015, 11:07 pm

When I was a teen, I didn't swear that often. I had problems with over stimulation which resulted in anger build up but no swearing. I started working at a restaurant when I was 20 and was there for 3 years. Now I swear like a goddamn sailor.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2015, 2:13 am

In theory, it is very Aspie-like because of the repetitive behaviour. But when you think about it, this is only something you would pick up from your peers. So it's a social thing, that thing we avoid.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

Uranus wrote:
In theory, it is very Aspie-like because of the repetitive behaviour. But when you think about it, this is only something you would pick up from your peers. So it's a social thing, that thing we avoid.

Actually, I picked it up from my family. I also curse when no one is around. It's not a social thing for me.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 10:07 am

I picked it up from my family as well. Every other word out of their mouths is a swear.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 10:11 am

My mom swears like a gangsta sailor. She could start a rapping career from all the stuff she says.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

Boo Radley wrote:
Uranus wrote:

Actually, I picked it up from my family. I also curse when no one is around. It's not a social thing for me.

I think I swear MORE when there aren't other people around. 8O You should hear me when I get mad at my computer!

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

You should hear me when I die in Runescape. nah jk I rarely cuss.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

When I was a teen I hated swearing. Even movies I saw back then where they threw in swears just to avoid "the dreaded G rating" would sometimes ruin the rest of the film for me. I still hate it but I had to learn to tolerate it somewhat just so I wouldn't go insane, and I do occasionally use crude language like "sucks" or "fart", or take the lord's name in vain like "Oh my god". I'm not a nun, I just don't like it when people use swears every other word and that's all I hear instead of what's between them. I know that NT teens think -if they think at all- that swearing makes them look tough or like an adult. Then they become an adult and it becomes a bad habit. They might have kids that they don't want to swear, but kids learn from what they see and not what they're told. And I hate the excuse "they're just words", because words can really affect how you feel, good or bad.

I have had a lifelong history of ear infections and when my ears are bothering me I sometimes joke that it's because of people's swearing. Like that time I actually watched a video of different anime with swearing in the English dubs (I know now they don't really swear as much in Japanese).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

The way I see it, swearing is a good way to relieve anger and frustration, and I have a short temper, so I'm prone to swearing. :P It is pretty childish to swear excessively, though it actually bothers me more when people use minced oaths all the time because I think "geeze, if you want to swear that much, why don't you just swear and get it out?"

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I do occasionally use crude language like "sucks" or "fart", or take the lord's name in vain like "Oh my god".

Don't feel bad about "Oh my god." God is not a name, it's a title, like Doctor or Professor or Rabbi.

There have been many gods in recorded human history. If you're Christian or Jew, the name of your deity is IHVH, commonly known as Yahweh, although the true original pronunciation has been lost in time, due to the lack of vowels in ancient written Hebrew. So technically, you couldn't use the Lord's name in vain even if you wanted to, unless you just happen to hit the right pronunciation by accident. Originally, the name of the Hebrew god was only used in the temple, by priests, behind the curtain of the Holy of Holies, so the danger of it being used profanely was minimal at best. The other sobriquet often used in scripture was Adonai, but that's also a title, meaning "Lord" and not a proper name.