Do You Do Things Just Because You're Supposed To?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm

I like to exercise every day if I can; it's one of my routines, I guess. Anyway, I went to my new college's rec center for the first time late last week, and I found out I had to bring a change of shoes. Now, this "change" of shoes would be the very pair I was already wearing. I said that was absurd because I was wearing my only pair of tennis shoes. Well, I went back to my dorm room and put my sandals on and held my shoes and socks. I was thinking of changing out of my shoes right at the entrance to show them the illogicity of their rule, but as my roommate said, "You have to pick your battles." I didn't make a scene, but you know just how bad I wanted to.

Are you willful when it comes to not doing pointless things?

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 4:00 am

I dislike doing pointless things, but if you can't persuade people to be logical then arguing with them for the sake of stubbornness might be more pointless than the thing you're trying to avoid doing.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 6:16 am

I usually argue and the other party gets bummed out.

I looked for these valances at work, then go to the boss at the time "They aren't there" She completley ignored me and said that they were where I looked.

I'm like "Do you want me to look again?" even though I already knew they wern't there. I said they were probably behind one of the function rooms, and she still won't listen.

In the end she went to look for them herself and they were exactly where I said.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 7:55 am

If something doesn't make sense to do, I really hate doing it and usually try to do it my way.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 8:30 am

One of the main things I do because I'm supposed to, is brush my hair. I hate to brush my hair....if it was an acceptable style (I'm a female) I'd shave my head!

I have a very sensitive scalp and cannot wear my hair up in a ponytail or otherwise without getting a headache in a matter of minutes.

On the weekends, when I am not obligated to go anywhere or do anything, I will go the whole weekend without a brush or a comb touching my head - it's pure heaven :)

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 8:55 am

I've all too often done things that others expected as I didn't want to get into trouble as a child. In my teens I'd argue against doing things that were pointless to me. I'd gripe for hours.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2005, 9:36 am

I love doing things that are pointless when I'm in a bad mood - like yesterday, mum said that I should stop complaining, or I could make what I wanted for dinner. I shrugged, and said fine, and didn't make anything - I wasn't hungry, so that's what I wanted. I always look to do things like that when I'm annoyed, but otherwise I don't.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 9:39 am

Yes. I can be as stubborn as hell and even have the want to be an ass to people who have to enforce such pointless rules. I don't do this if I can understand the purpose of the rule. But if there really is none, then it flusters me to no end.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2005, 9:52 am

I'm quite wilful. I've fought lifelong battles with my parents about combing my hair, sitting in 'proper' positions, and various cosmetic issues.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 11:04 am

monastic wrote:
One of the main things I do because I'm supposed to, is brush my hair. I hate to brush my hair....if it was an acceptable style (I'm a female) I'd shave my head!

I have a very sensitive scalp and cannot wear my hair up in a ponytail or otherwise without getting a headache in a matter of minutes.

On the weekends, when I am not obligated to go anywhere or do anything, I will go the whole weekend without a brush or a comb touching my head - it's pure heaven :)

how about dreads, hon? you would look absolutely wonderful with dreads. and you'd never need to wash or brush your hair again (well, you can wash it if you like). :D

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 12:04 pm

Sophist wrote:
Yes. I can be as stubborn as hell and even have the want to be an ass to people who have to enforce such pointless rules. I don't do this if I can understand the purpose of the rule. But if there really is none, then it flusters me to no end.

Yes, I have to remember the rec center employee didn't make the rule; she just had to enforce it. Challenging the rule with her would have been for naught, anyway.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 12:08 pm

Hell... Do something just suppose I'm suppose to do so.

LOL, as a kid that was one of the things that would end up invaribly lead up to me having a meltdown.

I wasn't going to do something unless I dam well wanted to. Any adult who tried to interviene and "steer" me in the right direction quickly found there was going to be me more hell in it for them than just a little bit.

Such an incident was the subject of a lenghtly note my teacher sent home in march 1988 after I didn't want to go out for recess one day and she had to drag me out, kicking and screaming. I think it was the most racket I ever made in school that morning.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 4:43 pm

Sophist wrote:

I'm the same way. I just can't leave well enough when it comes to stuff I perceive as pointless.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 4:56 pm

Yes and no. Your friend was right about the whole 'pick your battles' thing. Also, some rules may appear to be pointless, but there usually is a reason for them even if it isn't obvious to you.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 5:22 pm

I'm pretty stubborn about most things, but I've figured out that sometimes the rules work. Well, only when they're set by people who agree with you in the first place. ;)

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 9:42 pm

One word: no!