if your child is on a dairy-free/casein-free diet!!read this

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:18 pm

I definitely don't avoid dairy, but I guess I don't get the vegetables I should. And while I do love fruits, I don't eat them all that often. I don't have scurvy or anything.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:26 pm

beau99 did you get a vitamin & mineral screen before you started a gluton free diet? Because you might of needed supplements..

Following a gluten free diet presents a problem with achieving adequate intake of some nutrients. Gluten-free products compared to their counterparts are often low in B vitamins, calcium, vitamin D, iron, zinc, magnesium, and fibre. Few gluten-free products are enriched or fortified. Research has shown that patients on a gluten free diet have a poor vitamin status. Also if the compliance to the gluten free diet is not good there is a higher chance of deficiencies being present and not correcting themselves. Therefore the patient needs to be under the care of a dietitian and be regularly monitored.

Prior To Understanding What The Problems Are, An Individual Can Head In Many Different Directions, Wasting Valuable Time & Effort. When S?He Learns What The Problems Are & What Can Be Done Then S?He Has a ?Compass? To Guide Him/Her

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:30 pm

No, but I drink Vitamin Water so I get all the necessary vitamins I need... and then some.

Thing is, GF foods taste like crap, for the most part.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:33 pm

heheheh I am personally not on it...

Prior To Understanding What The Problems Are, An Individual Can Head In Many Different Directions, Wasting Valuable Time & Effort. When S?He Learns What The Problems Are & What Can Be Done Then S?He Has a ?Compass? To Guide Him/Her

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:15 pm

Check out www.notmilk.com...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:21 pm

beau99 wrote:
No, but I drink Vitamin Water so I get all the necessary vitamins I need... and then some.

A full bottle of vitamin water is only 25%, some of the stuff may really be far less. Other things, like magnesium, are really not that high. BESIDES, it is called VITAMIN water, not vitamin, mineral, and amino water. As for the tastes like crap part? I had a gluten free meal at outback with a nice dessert, and it tasted GREAT!

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:23 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
beau99 wrote:

A full bottle of vitamin water is only 25%, some of the stuff may really be far less. Other things, like magnesium, are really not that high.

Not the flavors I drink.

Quote:
As for the tastes like crap part? I had a gluten free meal at outback with a nice dessert, and it tasted GREAT!

Good for you.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

I am highly allergic to dairy, however I used to love rice.
I found something that supported me, and actually tastes well, good.
Rice Dream Like a Soymilk-Type alternative, but I can't stand soymilk.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:28 pm

Microban wrote:

Rice Dream contains casein.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 9:35 pm

beau99 wrote:
Microban wrote:

Rice Dream contains casein.

I guess I don't understand why chilren are put on casein-free diets.
I once read a story about someone who rescued their child from Autism by switching to this type of diet. Most likely symptoms will reppear, right? Explain Please! :D

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:36 pm

Ahhhh... cinnabon and a chocolate malted.... LOL Now THAT is living...

I promote the chocolate diet... gonna write it up and get on Oprah. All chocolate, all the time.

It will kill you.... but you don't CARE.

I have no problem processing either, dairy or grain. If I tried to take my kids off milk, they're revolt and come after me with pitchforks and torches... We go through at least a gallon a day in our house and since it costs more than gasoline... By the way, The Economist magazine says get ready for MUCH higher food prices, and don't expect them to go down for the next few years. Rising grain prices caused by demand for ethanol production is driving the cost of all food in the US right through the roof. It will happen in the rest of the world, too. For those who already pay outrageous amounts to cover special diets, it's going to suck like a galactic black hole...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 12:04 am

Chocolate= :D

Chocolate is like eggs and tuna, it's gonna cause one kind of slow painful death but prevent another. You better not exceed a certain amount, but you ought to add it to your diet to ensure good health. Some doctors think it should be controlled, limited or banned. Some doctors think it is good enough to be considered a medicine.

My husband and son go through a gallon every other day. And yes, that adds up more than what we spend on gas. 8O I can barely drink the stuff and have to buy my own skim milk and take lactase with it. I drink a pint a week, tops. I eat lots and lots of cheese and spinach, though.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 12:36 am

Every person needs to try what works for them. Like low carb diets work for some people, others not. Same deal with dairy and gluten, if you're autistic then try it and see how you feel. Ok it didn't work for beau99. I don't know him so I don't know what he was eating, perhaps there was a reason why he felt so bad (sometimes giving up something feels really bad, like quitting smoking. People who have problems with dairy and gluten are often addicted to them.) I gave up gluten for awhile and I did feel pretty good. But it's too damn hard to cut out completely.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:16 am

Shelby wrote:
Every person needs to try what works for them. Like low carb diets work for some people, others not. Same deal with dairy and gluten, if you're autistic then try it and see how you feel. Ok it didn't work for beau99. I don't know him so I don't know what he was eating, perhaps there was a reason why he felt so bad (sometimes giving up something feels really bad, like quitting smoking. People who have problems with dairy and gluten are often addicted to them.) I gave up gluten for awhile and I did feel pretty good. But it's too damn hard to cut out completely.

I feel much better without dairy because me having lactose intolerance isn't worth eating ice cream or drinking milk.

But gluten is in just about everything I like (and I like nothing else), so I'd rather eat it and deal with it.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:31 am

Actually it is highly unlikely that the human species evolved to only be able to get calcium from cows breast milk. we are designed to drink human breastmilk when we are little and then not drink milk, we are not designed to wean ourselves on to cow breast milk.
Also when we eat gluten- if you have been tested for opioids in your urine- it also releases a chemical trans-indolylacryloylglycine IAG which is thought to have an effect with AS but it is also likely that AS is caused by different factors (such as brain damage and genetic mutation) so not all people will be effected by this metabolic process. the best thing to do is be tested it costs 50 pounds. The long term use of opiates is known to cause brain damage and there is no reason why this (gluten and dairy) would be any different to taking drugs. The same people who react to gluten often also have sulphate metobolising problems and it is likely they have problems metabolising lots of things. AS people have also measured as very short of b6 and have difficulty getting it in their diet. it is likely that they might have shortages on calcium which was not conected to the amount in their diet. Good sources of calcium are- sardines, a cup of broccoli has the same amount of calcium as a glass of milk, sesame seeds, tahini, hummus, tofu, soya milk, almonds, dark green leafy veg. I have looked at the origional papers for studies on the gluten and dairy hypothesis and find them satisfactory and well researched.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:38 pm

If people could seriously get opiates from gluten, cinnabon would be mainlined and heroin would be ignored....

People with mood disorders seem to crave carbs... particularly sweet ones. A high percentage of Aspie's have mood disorders, and what happens to a platter of KrispyKremes in a group of Aspie's is far more savage than a group of Great Whites with blood in the water... Yeah, I craved SUGAR like crazy, but as many tests as I've had over the years, if there were opiates in my systems alarms would have been ringing... Now I'm off all that stuff, and feel worse than ever. As an insulin dependent diabetic now, I strictly count my carbs and follow the guideline. Damnit... krispykremes.... mmmmmmm