Do You Identify As Being Part Of A Particular Culture?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:44 pm

I'm in a multicultural grad class, and the more we talk, the more I realize that I don't really have any cultural traditions or beliefs or particular background. I don't think of myself as being part of X, I just am me.

Edited to say that I thinking on a large cultural basis, as opposed to various sub-cultures.

Is this an Asperger's thing, or is this just me?

How do you identify yourself?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Last edited by lastcrazyhorn on 29 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:47 pm

I'm part of the Aspie culture, or Aspie counterculture, or whatever it is. :)

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm

You may not identify with the groups with which you associate, but every human in a society (technically) is a part of culture. For example, anyone who has posted on this forum is a part of internet culture.

If you were able to live completely self-sufficiently in the wilderness with no human contact, I suppose you could then consider yourself to be free from culture.

I have some values and beliefs which are similar to others who came before me, but I'm usually more comfortable on my own than as part of a group.

Last edited by Syd on 29 Jan 2008, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2008, 11:15 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
. . .I don't really have any cultural traditions or beliefs or particular background. I don't think of myself as being part of X, I just am me.

Same here.

Other than enjoying certain foods I lack all the traits of the average local here - as in; mannerisms, interests, prejudices, etc. . .

People who notice this superficially ask me if I'm a foreigner; those that get to know how deeply at odds I am with the local culture react more violently with things like "you need get down to earth" or "dude you are just. . . wrong".

I never get used to it because they are petty things; I'd be more bewildered by the kind of goverments they vote into power. It's like. . . the foremost offense is to think differently - almost anything else is "ok" provided it's vulgar enough.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 12:59 am

I think it depends on what culture you come from too. Like certain cultures have a strong pride, they are passionate about who they are. But I think sometimes white Americans and Australians for example don't really have a strong culture to come from. I think a lot of NTs would feel the same as you.

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2008, 1:08 am

i belong to what is effectionately known to be "The Left"

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:21 am

i was always under the impression that a cultured person was somebody who didn't strictly conform to cultural stereotypes but was a individual who was well learned/interested and/or open minded to all cultures and who tends to enjoy individual tastes in food, lifestyle, beliefs, music, interests etc as a result of that.

there's an Albert Einstein quote that came to my mind, but ive forgotten it now, something about being a citizen of the world. tis a good quote anyway.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

30 Jan 2008, 2:55 am

Confused-Fish wrote:
there's an Albert Einstein quote that came to my mind, but ive forgotten it now, something about being a citizen of the world. tis a good quote anyway.

yes indeed.... i see

may your god forgive you

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:26 am

Shelby wrote:
I think it depends on what culture you come from too. Like certain cultures have a strong pride, they are passionate about who they are. But I think sometimes white Americans and Australians for example don't really have a strong culture to come from. I think a lot of NTs would feel the same as you.

The last I knew no one could define what the American culture is, white or otherwise. I would say your statement about not having a strong culture would be pretty darn accurate.

From an Anthropological view, I should add.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 3:33 am

I suppose I indentify with the culture in which I live - New zealand culture.

I am also a nurse - there is a culture within nursing - but I rebell against it. There is a strong heirachacy in nursing, nurses can be such b*****s to each other.
I don't wear a uniform - I have to wear blue and / or white but I try to look as un nursy as possible. I don't wear a nursing badge. I am meant to wear a name badge identifying my role - but usually it is lost.
I love my job - but I don't identify with some of the crap that goes with it. Maybe it is my mood today.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:59 am

I dont feel like I am part of any culture except for the AS culture. They are the only people who make sense to me. Even my own country's culture baffles me to an extent.

The internet has i believe, strengthened the AS culture as it has given us a medium through which we can find each other.

Taking a break.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 8:04 am

No

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:35 am

I have never had a "group" that I felt I belonged to. In highschool, I was never part of any one group...I had all types of friends in all types of groups. Same after that...

The only group I feel like I have something in common with is this...

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 7:26 pm

I have many characteristics normally associated with certain groups that I have taken to become part of me. As such I can not relate to any one single group. I think I don't like to think I can't enjoy any aspect that I choose to of a particular culture or group because of social norms. I think some of this has to do with being of mixed raced so not really being that pigeon hole-able anyway. Nationality wise I say I was definitely British more than any other, but there is a lot of variation within that.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:45 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I'm in a multicultural grad class, and the more we talk, the more I realize that I don't really have any cultural traditions or beliefs or particular background. I don't think of myself as being part of X, I just am me.

Edited to say that I thinking on a large cultural basis, as opposed to various sub-cultures.

Is this an Asperger's thing, or is this just me?

How do you identify yourself?

you're a "Comic Book Guy" obviously. Seriously pick up a copy of "The COmic Book Guys' guide to Culture. It hurts how much I realized I KNEW what "he" was talking about.

I was a comic book guy, then Trekkie, then Whovian, then a Joe Head ( GI JOE cololector), I've been a "glue sniffer resin head" nickname for model builders.

Now I have my art degree. But I'm not the freaky Andy Warhol type.

I love films but not to collect and watch.

I'm involved in local film and thats definately a bunch of "special Intrest " people.

But above all iIm a Puppet Lover!

You know a lot of folks here talk about having a big get together. I bet over half the people I saw at the last Trekkie convention I went to were AS. :idea:

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:59 pm

I identified with hippies. It seemed like when I hung out with hippies, they embraced weird people, as long as you were a peace and love kind of person. Then when hippies started disappearing, I thought, wait, I'm not finished being a hippie. Then I realized that it was something deep inside of me that made me this way.

I think that autism spectrum people started the hippies and the beatniks because it's just what they naturally drifted into and then they got trendy because they looked so intriguing so the NTs joined up and marketing took over and clouded everything.