Which medical subject would you like Autism be placed in?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mental/psychiatric disorder 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Brain disorder/disease 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Neurological disorder/disease 91%  91%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 23

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 2:35 pm

I thought i would do a little poll on not what autism is considered to be but what would you be considered to be described as, would you rather have autism be described as:

Mental/psychiatric disorder

Brain disorder/disease

Neurological disorder/disease

For me i would rather have autism be described as a mental/psychiatric disorder, cause that way traumatic events could be the cause of autism and any mental illness and theres a solid reason why autism exists. . Where brain, or neurological definition means you were born with it, and alot of people consider it on the scale of "ret*d" and or developmental problems. which it comes from un mature brats. I don't know but I believe based on research Autism is considered to be all of these in one way or another. Do not be offended on anything in the poll, it is just for stats and peoples opinion.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 2:50 pm

bump :wink:

AdvenaIngenium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2008, 2:52 pm

Brain disorder and neurological disorder are equivalent in meaning.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 2:53 pm

None. It's not a medical condition. It's not a shortcoming. It's a difference. Time they took it out of their medical books, just like they did with homosexuality at last.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:17 pm

Greentea wrote:
None. It's not a medical condition. It's not a shortcoming. It's a difference. Time they took it out of their medical books, just like they did with homosexuality at last.

Yeah, what Greentea said!!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:19 pm

Greentea wrote:

Well it is a condition, though whether or not that condition is detrimental depends on the individual. Autism is generally called a "developmental disorder" as it generally impairs normal social functioning. However, I would definitely consider it a shortcoming in more severe cases.

If I had to choose between the three (really two) choices, I would classify autism as a "neurological disorder." Which, as AdvenaIngenium stated, is the same as a brain disorder. Autism has to do with brain structure, not mental illness.

Last edited by Phagocyte on 30 Jan 2008, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:20 pm

Greentea wrote:

Quote:

If we don't stop electing Repooplicants in this country, they'll put that one back IN the books....

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:24 pm

hmm i know i made the poll. but why wasnt the 4th opinion i made? (nuetral, have no idea) wasn't added to the poll?, hmm wierd... did a mod remove it or something??? cause i swear i added a 4th option to the poll. anyway it is a difference, but i added the Mental/psychiatric disorder cause of it's co-morpid conditions. which increases and is more severe in the future? So to most of you think that that is not part of autism??? I know alot of us have anxiety, depression, ptsd, but i wonder do you consider it to be apart of autism? or seperate? Reason i'm asking is cause I had the co-morpid conditions growing up and didn't even have autism till like after high school. (i was pretty social and no communication problems growing up. by the co-morpid symptoms wore me out? anyway anyone elsehave co-morpid symptoms mainly growing up?

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:45 pm

None of the above.

I think High Functioning Aspergers should be under Cultural Anthropology.

We're a culture.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:52 pm

From my personal experience, it didn't add your fourth option because you hit submit instead of add option in the last one. I do that all the time.

It makes me furious that people have "seen the light" re: homosexuality but not re Asperger's. To those that say AS is a disability because you can't function "normally" in society, well excuse me but homosexuals date their same sex. That's hardly "normal" social conduct, is it? Then why are they out of the books and we are not?

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:12 pm

Sorry, but I wouldn't vote for any of the above. I don't see it as a disease, but as a different way of doing things...I can't see how that's a disease.

Now, if we want to talk about hearing, tactile, etc...sensitivities, then those can be categorized...if we want to talk about immune system issues such as allergic/sensitive to certain foods, etc...then that can be categorized...but the root behavior issues, I do not believe are a disease, but different ways of dealing with things...of which honestly, I see nothing wrong with most of it.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:13 pm

Greentea wrote:
It makes me furious that people have "seen the light" re: homosexuality but not re Asperger's. To those that say AS is a disability because you can't function "normally" in society, well excuse me but homosexuals date their same sex. That's hardly "normal" social conduct, is it? Then why are they out of the books and we are not?

More severe forms of autism are certainly disabilities. There's a difference between being completely unable to cope with the world, and being so borderline Asperger's that you're not even sure you have it. I don't consider them one-and-the-same.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:21 pm

why is there no option for sub-genius?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:21 pm

True. I was referring to Asperger's only. I don't even know enough about autism to express an opinion on it.

I just dream of the day when future generations of aspies won't have to hide their diversity, such as homosexuals don't have to anymore. If you watch Brokeback Mountain with a mental translation to Asperger's instead of homosexuality, you'll find that their lives are exactly the hell we aspies are living in nowadays. Trying to blend in with the "normals", clinging to someone who shares our particularity but they reject us because they're afraid of being seen with us, of the punishment for being different. Hiding the activities we enjoy from the eyes of the normals. Always living in fear of being caught, detected, made scapegoats, a magnet for the hatred others need someone to dump on.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:26 pm

Excellent point GreenTea

I wish I could make my friends understand. They think I've just been geeting"ideas" and "worse" since I started reading and joined WP.

I feel more like i'm being given the freedom to let go. I'm told by people here be who you are and don't worry about it.

Those are subversive "ideas"?

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 4:52 pm

NONE

What does it tell you about our society when people who are:

- honest, really honest and straightforward
- quiet and do not bother others or glomp on to them for attention
- usually really smart - and smart enought to see through NT societal delusions and manipulations

are pathologised?