Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Number_11
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2008, 1:26 pm

Is there anyone else around here that simply never seemed to have the "meltdowns" that so many Aspies claim to have? I really don't know why it's like that for me; my parents also agree that I've never had them.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 1:38 pm

I had periods when I only had very very few meltdowns. I had none between the ages 3-5 to 10. I don't know if this helps, but I didn't have any meltdowns and only few between ages 5 to 8, because the way I lived was very stable and not very demanding of me. There were few events during this time that caused an emotional uproar or any uproar for that matter. No sensory overloads either, which is usually the main reason for my meltdown. All in all, the time between ages 5 to 10 was rather quiet. Alas, my development was also stable, I got much better ate age 5, as in 'more aware, calmer, my ability to understand what people spoke to me got way better too, which profoundly decreased the amount of reasons for meltdowns.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 1:43 pm

I've only ever had minor meltdowns, usually in the form of irrational rage attacks.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:22 pm

I suspect you'll see just in this thread of yours, if some go into any kind of detail, that the term meltdown means different things to different people. For example I have rages too, but mine is more a PTSD response, which is a co-morbid that has hitched a ride with the AS. I've only had, what I consider the term to mean, 2 in my life. And both those required outside help. Anxiety attacks, oh yeah and probably some would consider those along with what comes with them in certain settings a meltdown or overwhelmed and they can be. I think some of it can be just due to what settings you find yourself in. In other words if you don't get around "triggers" you might not see any or very few. But I'm gifted enough to cause my own triggers too, hell of a gift isn't it? :wink: Again I think some of this depends on what "friends" have come a long for the ride. Bipolar is one of mine.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:58 pm

Mine are invisible to almost all but me. I'm a quiet person.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:04 pm

i haven't, say, gone off the deep end and thrown furniture at people (i put a hole through our door once when the stool missed my brother and had to pay to fix it).... since i was in middle school...

but i still have unavoidable sobbing/howling fits.

i think working 7 days a week most times hasn't helped in this regard.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:07 pm

I haven't had a real one in almost 6 months.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 4:28 pm

Number_11 wrote:
Is there anyone else around here that simply never seemed to have the "meltdowns" that so many Aspies claim to have? I really don't know why it's like that for me; my parents also agree that I've never had them.

I haven't either, Aspies all have different symptoms - that's why it's a spectrum. I personally am affects socially, but not balence (which is oddly enough above average) or being touched.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2008, 5:37 pm

I just don't express meltdowns in front of people. I have them in my head or in private.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:12 pm

I am far more internal than external. I've cried uncontrollably, sobbing, for no reason I could discern in my early teen years, but that hasn't happened since then. Other than that, I don't think I've had any thing you could call a meltdown.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2008, 11:17 pm

I've had meltdowns at least every three months my whole life (well, maybe not the first year of my life...).

They're usually not too bad, though--just really upsetting and embarrassing.

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 12:13 am

Last year was a year of meltdowns for me. I didn't even know I was having them until told and explained.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 12:37 am

I have meltdowns frequently, i never heard of not having any meltdowns, your sooo lucky hhaha.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2008, 12:41 am

I don't think I have meltdowns. I can get extremely pissed off and aggressive but it has to do with circumstances and a certain psychological background - I don't notice myself having "sensory overload" in the strict sense.
If I have a mixture of emotional circumstances and sensory overload causing these fits of rage or mood swings it's hard to tell .

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2008, 12:46 am

SilverProteus wrote:

Same. I'm screaming in my head but not on the outside.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 1:36 am

Shelby wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Same. I'm screaming in my head but not on the outside.

Same here too. I've learned to control mine, to a degree.