do different people experice AS in different ways?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2008, 8:44 pm

i know the symptoms of AS, but I dont expereince the following:

1. sensory problems
2. logical thinking and not a good imagination
3.problems with sports
4.droning voice
5. good at maths

I am very creative and I hate maths!! ! I dont have sports problems, no sensory defects and I also don't have a droning voice and I have no problems with eye contact, sarcasm or body launguage. I only have the paranoia, social problems and emotional and anger problems.

Im begining to dought my diagnosis...

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 8:48 pm

I don't think literally.

I don't have serious sensory problems.

I don't think in pictures, only in words.

I don't have serious social problems, except for being a bit shy.

peppicatred
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2008, 8:51 pm

My thinking isnt too rational,

My sensory problems include sensitive hearing.

droning voice? A tad.. but ive grown used to it.

I used to be shy, im gaining social confidence, but i tent to interact online..

Keep at it though, you will pull through :D

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 8:58 pm

Kris94 wrote:
1. sensory problems
3.problems with sports
4.droning voice
5. good at maths

I am also creative and not good at math. I do not have a droning voice. However, I also experience sensory problems, logical thinking, and problems with sports.

Anyway, YES. Different people experience AS differently.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:00 pm

I don't have a droning voice, and I'm not that good with tech. I like being touched, and can think abstract (though I'm mostly logically). I don't have that much of a sensory problem either (It's quite mild comparing to most Aspies who have it)

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 9:14 pm

I'm hopeless at maths and I don't stim.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2008, 11:06 pm

Kris94 wrote:

1. sensory problems
3.problems with sports
4.droning voice
5. good at maths

I am very creative and I hate maths!! ! I dont have sports problems, no sensory defects and I also don't have a droning voice and I have no problems with eye contact, sarcasm or body launguage. I only have the paranoia, social problems and emotional and anger problems.

It is thanks to this very forum that I've began to doubt the Asperger's construct in itself; what you see is a lot of people with different symptom combinations and few seem to fully match the Asperger's stereotype.

Unless you are looking to obtain a pragmatic benefit out of it, an Asperger's diagnosis in itself doesn't mean much - people seem to forget that those diagnosing are prone to error like anyone else and that Asperger's is a label administered to a set of traits - this meaning, as far as I've seen, that it doesn't in itself contain more explicative power than the sum of it's parts (a bunch of autistic spectrum traits); in fact, it creates more confusion as random people hypothesize about it as if it were a tangible fact rather than a theory (and a bad one at it). IMO, a shoddy work has been done but it's up to shrinks - and not us - to come clean.

. . .and it's hard to stop for a minute and THINK at what all this implies when so many people have placed their identity on a label rather than in themselves and therefore react very badly to healthy skepticism. I guess I could find some shrink that would diagnose me with Asperger's despite the contradictory evidence; I couldn't care less - I'm fine as I am.

The other thing I have yet to read somewhere is how Aperger's is diagnosed mostly on social functioning issues (and other behavioural traits) yet somehow implying there's an underlying neurological "abnormality" and at the same time having a "spectrum" with the so-called neurotypical at one end. Aside from how cheesy it sounds to basically have social success as measure; social success points to the middle of normal distributions for different traits - meaning you have to be average to fit in - while the idea that there's an underlying neurological impairment implies that the "better off" you are the more you fit in - the spectrum extends in one direction. . .
Either I haven't read the right threads or people are truly way too preoccupied with other things to care but - assuming there is one or a small number of underlying conditions (even if they are hypothetical) where's the theory that takes into account deviations from the norm in both directions (if this applies at all)?.
The fact that I'm creative and much better with symbols and metaphors than so-called neurotypicals got me thinking since supposedly most of the impairment is meaningfully related to a limitation in this field. . .

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:38 am

.I don't have many sensory issues
.I don't take sayings/metaphors literally
.I understand sarcasm
.I don't have to follow a specific routine
.I'm terrible at math
.I can take care of my personal hygene without being reminded
That's about it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:47 am

I have two close friends

I'm able to work, part time

I get along with most people

I have a hard time, getting ready in the morning

I don't speak in monotone

I have a few sensory issues

My obsessions are very strong

I'm not a math wiz

I don't have to follow the same routine, each day

I have the odd Meltdown, one in a while

I think in pictures

I don't stim, or flap

I have an unusual accent, for my part of the world

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:25 am

Kris94 wrote:

1. sensory problems
3.problems with sports
4.droning voice
5. good at maths

I haven't been labelled with ASD, but I'm seeing "professionals" who ask me questions that are found under the DSM IV: PDD section (I could tell right away). I never even mentioned to them that I suspected I had it. Unlike you, however, I do experience many of what you listed.

1) I'm very sensitive to noise, smell, touch, taste, and light.
Sometimes these senses overpower others and shuts them out (too much smell that I cannot see or hear, or too loud that I cannot taste).

2) I consider myself a logical thinker but there are times where I just "go with the flow." I don't have much of an imagination where I can picture myself being someone else. I do get lost daydreaming but it is mostly based upon scenarios I imagine may happen or upon stories read or movies seen.

3) I am lousy at sports and cannot catch a ball without looking like a geek, and believe you me I look nothing like a geek. I still have an awkward throw.

4) I am told I sound like a narrator when I speak. Some women have complimented me on my voice, but there are times get called out for "sounding conceited"

5) I am not very good at math but I pick up the concepts somewhat quickly. I do have trouble with questions that are made in sentences. It just doesn't make sense and the concepts get lost because I'm trying to follow where the words are taking me--usually dead-ends. :?

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:40 am

Quote:
I guess I could find some shrink that would diagnose me with Asperger's despite the contradictory evidence;

Easily. I know for a fact that I could, as one casually told my friend that I had the traits of autism and she asked him if I was. If you want a label, all you have to do is "shop around", and odds are good you could get nearly any label you want. The stigma such a label has follows people for life. And even if I do have this syndrome, I don't want the label on my medical record. I think I understand what my dad was saying.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 4:10 am

Asperger's is:

Severe social impairment
Non-verbal and verbal communication difficulties
Restricted and repetitive interests that take up most of one's attention
[Possible] motor mannerisms
[Possible] sensory problems
[Possible] motor clumsiness

Autism is:

The same, but verbal communication difficulties are far more severe, motor mannerisms are more frequent/prevalent, and sensory troubles are far worse.

10 Feb 2008, 4:17 am

Everyone with AS is indeed different.

I am not too rigid
I am not too inflexible
I can talk to people
I don't have sensitive hearing or lot of sensory issues
I can wear jeans
I have done sports but was never good at them
I don't have a photographic memory
I don't have a monotone voice but I do have an accent
My balance is good and I am not very clumsy but can be when I am in a hurry
I don't eat the same foods everyday but tend to eat the same foods at work for dinner
I can be spontanous
I have empathy
I understand some sarcasm
I never got really upset with changes in the class schedule when I was a kid
-I played with kids when I was growing up and I had friends my own age till 4th grade and then I started to lose them and they got real hard to socialize with because all they wanted to do was chit chat. By the time I was in 6th grade, I had no friends, only the little kids in my neighborhood and then I befriended a Down syndrome girl and I stopped playing with all the other little kids.
I did pretend play
-I am not good with drawing, nor good with math like those stereotype aspies
-I am not into technical stuff nor know how to fix computers like a stereotype aspie
I am not a black and white thinker even if people say I am.
I was never a little professor
I knew nothing about my obsessions till I was 10
I never had a big vocablary (sp)
I was never a picky eater

What is a droning voice?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:55 am

I take many things way too literally.
I never had a droning voice but all of my childhood I talked super fast and sometimes also too loud, to the point that people could not understand me much of the time. I was forever being told to "slow down, start over" when I couldn't figure out why they couldn't listen faster.
I have worked as a computer programmer so I have that logic thing.
Sensory problems - too sensitive to sounds, smells, bright lights. However I have a very high pain threshold. That's not a good thing. I don't know when I'm hurt sometimes, or I tolerate pain when I should have gone to ask for help earlier.

We are all SO different!

I get confused by the large scope that this spectrum encompasses, at times. But what is encouraging to me is the threads where we do agree. When I read that something I do that's weird is also done by others here I just get so happy and feel so OKAY. :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 6:26 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Asperger's is:

Severe social impairment
Non-verbal and verbal communication difficulties
Restricted and repetitive interests that take up most of one's attention
[Possible] motor mannerisms
[Possible] sensory problems
[Possible] motor clumsiness

Autism is:

The same, but verbal communication difficulties are far more severe, motor mannerisms are more frequent/prevalent, and sensory troubles are far worse.

I see no point to most peoples existance, and avoid them,

I have nothing to say, that they could understand,

My work is all that has meaning for me.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 6:51 am

I love sports especially cricket

Good eye contact

Can talk different topics n not talk 1 sided topics

Don't have a dress sense problem

Get along well wid ppl.