Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 2:49 pm

I want to have a very high IQ. An IQ that will rank my intelligence higher that of at least 99.999% of the population. I want to be at least one in one hundred thousand. With such a high intelligence, people will clench their teeth and put their heads down in a sign of humility instead of laughing at my eccentricities. Such a high intelligence would be my license to be myself.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 2:55 pm

I don't need a license to be myself, but having that kind of intelligence would be nice. Unfortunately, IQ tests are a very poor tool for indicating it and the definition of 'intelligence' itself can't always be agreed upon by psychologists.

High IQ by itself deserves no respect. Knowledge deserves some, theories a little more, experiments even more, and actual accomplishments are how real respect is won. You don't need a high IQ for that, although there is a correlation.

Me? I'm a loser living in my parents' basement. There's things I'd like to accomplish but I have barriers to overcome. Find out what yours are, overcome them, and do something with yourself that you find worth doing. It won't happen over night and it takes time and patience. Don't let society laugh at your eccentricies; do something useful to win society's respect, and if not that, at least you might get an opportunity to spite them. :lol:

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 2:57 pm

I wish that too but if you don't have the required genes then you would never become genius.

Geniuses are born....not made.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:02 pm

No.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

When I was about 10 I had daydreams about getting hit hard in the head by a car and it turning me into a math whiz. :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I wish that too but if you don't have the required genes then you would never become genius.

Geniuses are born....not made.

Well... In some cases taking bath in the radiation of a meteorite is able to give one some additional IQ points :twisted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Savage :lol:

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

I think you're mistaken; people don't venerate intelligent individuals, they are suspicious of them. If you want to be accepted warts and all, become a rock star - the more atrociously you behave, the cooler you will be considered. Or become a modern artist whom no-one understands. Or read James St. James's "Disco Bloodbath" to learn how a bunch of misfits became famous merely for being famous.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

My opinion:

Having a IQ that high changes nothing. At least nothing that I know of. Being that much of a genius causes you nothing but grief if you want it in order to make it a useful thing in social interaction. They condemn what they do not understand. Believe it or not, being 0,0000...1% is a hardship that will, without the sheer determination, the just right ignorance and an extremely steady and strong character, leave you very much alone, a target of ridicule and you'll be too otherworldly to interact without making you and everyone around you miserable.

And just having a high IQ alone will not make anyone excel at anything, not even academics or the ability to solve problems. Sooo, no, I find it hardship enough that people expect of me to be as good as all these other gifted people just based on tests. Because I'm not all that.

I do think genius are made - being born with in the range of 99%+ will give you no gift in life for free. You'll all have to achieve it after your birth. You may indeed be offered more opportunity with 99%+ but seeing how few opportunities men actually makes true in a the great sea of them he right in... it being there, doesn't mean you will notice it being there.

Great IQ doesn't make you life-smart. You can be the very best and most life-smartest person ever and score a 70 (or lower!) on a lousy IQ test. Imo we have people like that on WP, gladly.
Really, that 'life-smart'-thing doesn't have anything to do with IQ. It's more along the lines of satisfaction, happiness, joy and being content with what the opportunities one has discovered already or is still in search of.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:17 pm

Mw99,

I don't know if you are serious, but "scumsuckingdouchebag" is right. And you COULD become smarter, and do better, and even score higher on IQ tests, but 99.999% is pushing it. That is about 164.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:41 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Mw99,

I don't know if you are serious, but "scumsuckingdouchebag" is right. And you COULD become smarter, and do better, and even score higher on IQ tests, but 99.999% is pushing it. That is about 164.

alright one in ten thousand then

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:12 pm

Huh?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:11 pm

It has its bad points as well, especially if you are from a small town. In order to, not feel like a freak, I spend alot of energy 'dumbing things down', so that everyone can understand, and I do not draw attention to myself. I've been making it a point to change though. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:16 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I want to have a very high IQ. An IQ that will rank my intelligence higher that of at least 99.999% of the population. I want to be at least one in one hundred thousand. With such a high intelligence, people will clench their teeth and put their heads down in a sign of humility instead of laughing at my eccentricities. Such a high intelligence would be my license to be myself.

If they're going to pick on me, might as well because I'm smart.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:19 pm

Im happy as iam very talented in my special interests like memorsing all da countries in 1 look being a genius is a step 2 far 4 my liken.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Feb 2008, 5:32 pm

I don't want to be a genius. If anything, maybe a little better at math.

Sure, being really smart would have it's benefits...but also a LOT of negatives. Think about it...most historical geniuses were not happy people...and whys that? Answer: because their intellegence made them outsiders. If I could choose intellegence or being accepted...I would choose being accepted.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:34 pm

If you want respect, go get it.