Sensory Overload - What drives you bonkers?

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:44 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
The feeling of cooking oil or anything of a similar texture. If I get any on my hands I need to get it off immediately or else I panic.

The bass in the stereo of my mothers car. When I hear the bass I get nauseas and a weird feeling in my head.

When you mentioned that I am almost wondering if the nausea and wierd feeling may be due to the bass emitting infrasound.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:52 am

asperity wrote:
Does motion bother anyone else? For example: riding in a car with a jerky transmission, or a person with erratic driving habits who swerves around a lot and does sudden stops?

Definitely. Last year I got out of a bus between stops and walked because a) the bus was stuck in a queue and moved like ten feet, then stopped, then moved again, etc., b) two teenaged girls in front of my were giggling non-stop, and I do mean non-stop, for half an hour and I couldn't stand it anymore! As for restaurants, I once had to walk out of one because I had a panic attack (I was twelve); once I started to laugh because I chased a baby carrot around the plate and it ended up on the floor, and I couldn't stop laughing; and once I got an IBS attack in the middle of a meal, probably for psychological rather than physiological reasons (long story having to do with the people who invited me).

TokenX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 3:19 am

-the smell of tobacco (even when it's many feet away I can tell there's nicotine burning, and it drives me insane). I have a neighbor who's around 19 and he usually wakes up at 2 AM to go smoking so his parents don't find out, and if I just happen to be awake, I'll be able to tell and I won't do anything except trying to wade off the scent until it finally goes away.
-plastic-paper pages in textbooks: omfg. They make my hands feel like they're constantly being drenched in mud. Usually if I have to study out of one I use a tissue to turn the page and hope no one looks at me weird (probably more of an OCD thing)
-Axe (deodorant): I can't work at all when this foul smell is in the air
-Some clothing detergents that smell really strongly but other people can't notice for some reason: Once I had to sleep over at my cousin's house and his parents apparently used this detergent always. I almost decided to sleep outside to avoid the scent.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:12 am

KristaMeth wrote:
duncansbass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:
Super Wal*Mart.

Dude, I'm never going in another one again!

Unfortunately, the town I live in is so small I don't really have much of a choice but to go there. And I really, really like to shop too. Ironic :/

I go to a Super Wal-Mart for my grocery shopping because it has a better variety of food that's really cheap, such as pretty good microwavable burritos for $0.33 each), then the grocery store by my apartment. It's not the store itself that gets to me, it's the people I have to navigate around.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 10:17 am

Any kind of scraping sounds.

I'm a music therapy grad student. I was in a world percussion class the other day and we were going through the actions/sounds you can produce on a frame drum. One of them requires that you scrape your fingertips or fingernails across the diameter of the drum.

I just about ran out of there. Was like nails on a chalkboard, except for the fact that after I experienced that, I think I prefer nails on a chalkboard.

Other than that, my regular overload points are smells, especially strong ones, and people who insist on constantly touching me after I say I don't want to be touched . . . oh and having to take out the trash. I can do it once, and it's lousy, but multiple times just send me into a tailspin.

Oh and country music played for hours on end . . . mustn't forget that one. And people talking when I'm trying to hear someone (like in class), and not having enough space around me . . . yeah

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 10:19 am

Icheb wrote:
asperity wrote:
Does motion bother anyone else? For example: riding in a car with a jerky transmission, or a person with erratic driving habits who swerves around a lot and does sudden stops?

Definitely. Last year I got out of a bus between stops and walked because a) the bus was stuck in a queue and moved like ten feet, then stopped, then moved again, etc., b) two teenaged girls in front of my were giggling non-stop, and I do mean non-stop, for half an hour and I couldn't stand it anymore! As for restaurants, I once had to walk out of one because I had a panic attack (I was twelve); once I started to laugh because I chased a baby carrot around the plate and it ended up on the floor, and I couldn't stop laughing; and once I got an IBS attack in the middle of a meal, probably for psychological rather than physiological reasons (long story having to do with the people who invited me).

Oh yeah, that too. My granddad drives a lot with his foot mostly on the brake stopping and starting. The last time I rode with him, I had to throw up afterwards.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 11:44 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
Any kind of scraping sounds.

What about people who scrape cutlery against their teeth? That's got to be worse than a chalkboard.
Also, cutlery in general, especially on unglazed ceramics. :x

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 12:07 pm

asperity wrote:

Yep, and not to mention the motion of escalaters. I feel weird when I'm on one like I'm going to faint or fall. Hate em, gotten used to elevators somewhat.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 12:24 pm

The smell of cigarettes.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

Flashing / changing lights & loud / sharp noises.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

The smell of bleach makes me really badly nauseous. So does the smell of artificial fruit or flower scents. The real thing doesn't bother me though (except banana & pear, I detest both of those). Urgh, and I can't stand the sickeningly sweet women's perfumes that are trendy now.

Jumpy & bumpy journeys make me panic as well. I used to have the world's worst travel-sickness as a child, then I outgrew it, but I'm always scared it will come back.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

The worst for me are these:

Sounds: alarms; sudden noises; car horns (if they're too close to me); creaks; laughs (if they're too laud).
Smells: various detergents; ketchup; uncooked meat; fish (both cooked and uncooked).
Tastes: ketchup; gruyere; most types of fish; pizza (unless it's cooked from my mother); melted cheese.
Touch sensory issues: polystyrene; some napkins; various textures.
Also, I can't stand bright lights, and lights in general.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Dec 2012, 5:11 pm

children

bright lights, including sunlight

clutter

dirt

people yelling

people whining

zoid
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2012, 5:52 pm

TV commercials irritate me to no end. Finally got rid of the dish and only watch internet TV.
clanging pots and pans sometime necessary but hard on my ears anyway.
cars/trucks with loud mufflers if it's broken, fix it. If that exhaust is loud on purpose, whats the point?

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

I also cannot stand certain noises mostly high pitched treble noises like car alarms, fire alarms, sirens, people listening to music on their stereo on treble and loud, people all talking at once in a crowded shopping centres, bright lights, car horns, people with subwoofers on so deep it vibrates your windows I used to be able to handle the bass and I used to own two subwoofers many years ago and have the bass really deep too but for some reason I cannot stand it now. People slamming doors.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 6:54 pm

Itchy clothing- underwear included...

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg