Sensory Overload - What drives you bonkers?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:26 pm

duncansbass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:
Super Wal*Mart.

Dude, I'm never going in another one again!

Unfortunately, the town I live in is so small I don't really have much of a choice but to go there. And I really, really like to shop too. Ironic :/

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:40 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
What also irritates me are loud people, people talking all at once, screaming children, my dad, rude people, car noises, and the list could go on. :x
LOL - Sneaking that in there :jocolor:

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2008, 12:43 pm

I can't stand the sound of pencil on paper. I never write with pencils, so I don't have to deal with that sound very often. But the other day during my son's Early Intervention appointment, the woman who was working with him drew on a piece of paper with a pencil to get my son's attention, so he could do it. The sound made it so immediately my entire body was covered in goosebumps and I felt like I was going to vomit. I had to cover my ears, otherwise I'd have run out of the bedroom and possibly thrown up.
I also can't really stand the feel of paper/cardboard/wood. But I can handle it, I just would prefer not to have to. There are other things as well, but the sound of pencil on paper is by far the worst for me.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:54 pm

Bonker-driven topic

A few of my unfavourite things resulting in meltdowns

I can certainly compash with the other posters here regarding their sensory overload. Yet what bonks one will not bonk another.
Snoring
Base thump from speakers
Car alarms
Slurping ex-husband
Bad breath, wet dogs
Strobe Lights
Hot air blowing on my face, around my nose
Cat dander (but I love my cat! :cat:)
Crowds

You get the picture.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2008, 2:06 pm

missboots wrote:
I can't stand the sound of pencil on paper. I never write with pencils, so I don't have to deal with that sound very often. But the other day during my son's Early Intervention appointment, the woman who was working with him drew on a piece of paper with a pencil to get my son's attention, so he could do it. The sound made it so immediately my entire body was covered in goosebumps and I felt like I was going to vomit. I had to cover my ears, otherwise I'd have run out of the bedroom and possibly thrown up.
I also can't really stand the feel of paper/cardboard/wood. But I can handle it, I just would prefer not to have to. There are other things as well, but the sound of pencil on paper is by far the worst for me.

Those are the exact same triggers I have. I've never come across someone else who hates them too. And even worse than other people writing with pencil on paper is when I have to do it. Mechanical pencils are not quite as bad. It drives me absolutely crazy all the time in school. I actually failed my math class in 7th grade, only because my teacher refused to let me use a pen in math class (although then my mom fought with the school until they gave me a passing grade. The teacher still only gave me a C, instead of the A I deserved. :x).

I think the biggest problem is that pencils are EVERYWHERE! :cry:

I'm not even going to start on the horror that was 8th grade woodshop class. 8O

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:25 pm

Really loud music..paint fumes

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:26 pm

I forgot to add motorcycles and trucks. They're particulary loud from where I'm sitting.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:50 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Really loud music..paint fumes

GO AWAY. But not because I want you to :/

I like your black squirrel.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 3:16 pm

When people lick their fingers it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

As for sensory overload, there's something that really bothers me but I'm not sure if it's sensory or psychological or what have you. For as long as I can remember, I've hated the word 'stomachache' and what it represents. But I was also sickly fascinated by it. I remember there was a childrens book I read with the word in it, and I got the movie and told my mom "not to listen" to the part where they said it, because it made me so incredibly uncomfortable for other people to hear that word - but I took a perverse pleasure in it. At age 5, if I was reading a book with that word with my mom, I would pretend not to know the word because I couldn't bring myself to say it - she'd get mad at me because she knew I could read. Not just the word, but reading a description of someone with a stomachache would fascinate me and I'd reread it. But it was something that really 'squicked' me out to talk about with other people. I've never said the word unless I have to in class or something. Now the word itself doesn't bother me, and I'm not longer sickly fascinated by the word/description, but being around someone with a stomachache overwhelms me to the point I get angry and near tears (no one knows this, though.) My brother is lactose intolerant, so he gets them a lot, and I used to be terrified to go in the car with him because if he got one and we couldnt find a bathroom or something I get so overwhelmed and anxious and angry that I get snappy and almost cry. I just can't stand hearing anyone in my family talk about having one....I don't know what it is. I also had digestive issues my entire teenage years, but never told my family because it's something I can't mention. I always say "my stomach hurts" but never that word. I have no idea what this is though - it's like a huge sensory overload that panics me - I can't talk about stomachaches, and being around people with them causes me to completely disintegrate I find it so awkward and disturbing. Does anyone know what this could be? It's been a lifelong thing that has gotten better in many ways, but when people say sensory overload, it's what I think of. I know this sounds really bizarre. I've never talked about it with anyone because I literally can't.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:37 pm

quirky wrote:

OH GOD. Just seeing "lick their fingers" makes me go f***ing INSANE. RIJF#IFJ#$IFJEijfewkoifdjwefoij

By the way, I do remember you telling your stomachache story. It sticks in my mind for some reason, but now whenever I say the word or see it I always think of you.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 3:47 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
quirky wrote:

OH GOD. Just seeing "lick their fingers" makes me go f***ing INSANE. RIJF#IFJ#$IFJEijfewkoifdjwefoij

By the way, I do remember you telling your stomachache story. It sticks in my mind for some reason, but now whenever I say the word or see it I always think of you.

Haha thats kind of ... odd. I know it's really bizarre and I've never figured out what caused it. I think it's my equivalent of a sensory issue.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 3:51 pm

sartresue wrote:

Yet what bonks one will not bonk another.

LOL i love this sentence.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 4:00 pm

well i don't even have an ASD and these things drive me nuts:

the feeling of baking flour on my hands or anything with that consistency, for that matter.

the sound of a fork and knife scraping across a plate.

when somebody taps their fingernails on a desk.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

21 Feb 2008, 4:40 pm

The cacophony of many people talking in a room with echoy acoustics.

I just attended a meeting in the atrium of the building where I work; very echoy, and lots of other people were in the atrium talking; I had a great deal of trouble hearing and following the meeting.

I very nearly stood up and yelled, "SHUT THE f**k UP!" at the entire atrium. I spent the entire meeting suppressing the urge to do so. It was not a productive meeting for me.

Good fortune,

- Icarus prefers the harmony of silence...

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2008, 5:53 pm

The clearest and most recent example of Sensory overload for me was a year or so ago. We decided to go to Lambert's restaurant on our way home from visiting family. New food related situations bother me to begin with but, on top of that the place was crowded (as it always is), loud,had stuff hanging everywhere, and low lighting. That on top of trying to figure out what I wanted to eat (ended up get chicken and Dumplings which was amazing!) and then getting crammed on the inside of the booth with my two sisters...freaked me out. It would have been worse if this had happened before we knew I had aspergers because my parents would have been getting irritated with me and I would have freaked out worse thinking I was going insane. I finally had to ask to be on the outside of the booth which helped considerably, my sisters still thought I was nuts, but I didn't expect them to understand anyway.

anytime I am in similar situations (like stores in busy shopping malls) I start to panic... Even if I theoretically have plenty of room to move around I start to feel clostrophobic and just have to get out of the area ASAP. I haven't had any severe episodes like at lambert's since that time. The last thing that was close was at a church luncheon. I have been to many of these but I guess this one was more crowded than usual... it doesn't seem to matter how big the space is (and our fellowship hall is pretty big compaired to the rest of the church) or how well I know the people occupying that space... if I feel crowded or sense any level of chaos I start to panic... add food to the mix and it just gets worse.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?