Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:41 am

Who else has got one??
My son Damo seems to have quite a high pain threshold. He has been saying his finger has been sore and Poppa suspects dislocated finger 8O . Today he was playing with a small ball and walked backwards into a doorframe, just said ow ow ow and showed me where it hurt. No tears and I'm sure it must have hurt.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:51 am

My pain threshold is very high. I broke my leg once and it was 3 days before I decided to go to the doctor for x-rays.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:54 am

I quick to pain, but I don't do anything about it. I've been walking with a pain in my foot. The only reaction I give is an inquiry on how my walk appears.

Although, If I cut/injure myself, I would faint not because of the pain, but because I don't like the sight of blood. I sliced my finger and all I did was say "OH S**T! THERE'S A LOT OF BLOOD!" Never mind that I just cut my fingers, but get the blood away from me. Quickly.

Yesterday I had to get blood drawn. I just looked at the tubes which my blood was flowing into with a look of disgust. "Shut up, guy. I don't care to hear your stories. Just get me away from the blood!"

Oh, and I've been having this bad tooth ache. For about two years, it comes and goes.

:?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:10 am

You cannot hurt me physically in the traditional sense (mentally, I feel a lot of pain).

The deepest slice will only bother me for I don't like the warm feeling of the blood running (it's a yucky feeling); the slice itself doesn't bother me.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:17 am

How is it defined then?

I quickly can sense something, and I will complain about it, but I don't do anything to cure it.

Hmm.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:43 am

Interesting, thanks :D
I can't understand how something can't hurt, even a headache for me makes me want Panadol (paracetamol) :lol:
Damo rarely cries when he hurts himself unless he is tired or it is major!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:47 am

Altered sensory perceptions are a part of ASDs: from feeling little pain from traditional methods of inducing pain; to feeling more than usual; to feeling immense pain from normal and everyday things (water touching the skin; certain clothes; sights and sounds).

For the most part, the more severe the ASD, the greater the incidence of altered sensory perceptions and how much they affect the individual, that's in my experience anyway.

An example, I'll pull a fingernail completely off and...I don't see the big deal of doing such as it doesn't hurt that much.

I always won the pinching contests at school.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 24 Feb 2008, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

electro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2008, 4:49 am

I have a rather high pain threshold I broke my hip when I was 21 got 4 screws to repair it and rode the same Mt bike I wrecked on a week later. I was on pain meds less than 3 days they just doped me out to much.

chouchou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2008, 4:53 am

I sometimes inflict very minor injuries upon myself (it relaxes me), and I'm pretty sure that my high pain threshold is due to this fact.

I once fell, hard, on my behind while stepping down too quickly from a slippery bus. The bruised spot was sore for several days, but it never truly hurt. Only in the moment I fell did I feel any sort of pain, but it subsided quickly. I've also scraped my elbow and slammed my feet into a hard surface before, but I'd just get up or shrug the pain off.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -- Albert Einstein

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:58 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Altered sensory perceptions are a part of ASDs: from feeling little pain from traditional methods of inducing pain; to feeling more than usual; to feeling immense pain from normal and everyday things (water touching the skin; certain clothes; sights and sounds).

For the most part, the more severe the ASD, the greater the incidence of altered sensory perceptions and how much they affect the individual, that's in my experience anyway.

An example, I'll pull a fingernail completely off and...I don't see the big deal of doing such as it doesn't hurt that much.

That first piece makes sense to me! Damo will say that I am hurting him when all I am trying to do is pick him up to move him. At times the tiniest touch 'hurts' him yet he will fall over on the lino and laugh :?

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:46 am

Danielismyname wrote:

If I have ASD, then I belong to the hypersensitive group. I'm known as a "crybaby". Your pulling a fingernail "completely off" just brought an irresistable cringe. :?

Mum2ASDboy, your son sounds like me. When I'm "fighting" with my brothers I cringe at the sight of their punches, but if I were to fall down, I'd be the first to laugh at my clumsiness, only after insulting the culprit behind my fall. :D

And yes, i can recall people lifting me up and feeling some pain. It was as if they were pinching/pulling my skin.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:59 am

I feel no traditional pain. Examples:
I once caught a red-hot iron bar (Not the smartest thing to do, but it was a reflex) and while I immediately let go, I didn't feel any pain, so I continued to use my hand as if nothing had happened, even after the blisters came.
Another time I managed to crash a motorcross and get my head pinned underneath it. NO pain. scary as hell, but no pain.
A third time I haden't even noticed the 15cm long cut on my forarm, untill my mother pointed at it and asked that on earth had happened.

I am very sensitive to light touches though. People who don't squeeze hard enough when shaking hands make me wish I was gripping a red-hot iron bar (Exaterated, but you get the point) I used to worry the life out of my mother because I never told her when I had gotten hurt. Once my mother had to rush me to the doctor because I had hurt my finger. I hadn't said anything, after it got so swollen that I couldn't use it, I had just started using the other hand.
Parents of children who feel little to no pain have to be extra vigilant. If my mother hadn't cought up on me suddenly using the other hand, who knows how bad it could have gotten??

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:25 am

I worked in a Warehouse for two weeks straight after breaking two ribs in a fall . The Doctor's office took the X-Rays after I collapsed when the ends of the broken bones started grinding togeather after I was carrying two doors over my head.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:01 am

It depends. Some things are hypersensitive. But my shins don't appear to hurt when struck. In martial arts the sifu demonstrated kicking my shins with the edge of his shoe, apparently that is meant to make you jump back but it doesn't really bother me. If he would do a leg scrape that would hurt.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:22 am

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
That first piece makes sense to me! Damo will say that I am hurting him when all I am trying to do is pick him up to move him. At times the tiniest touch 'hurts' him yet he will fall over on the lino and laugh :?

That's how it goes for those with an ASD. I have a young relative with autism who always takes her clothes off for they hurt her, and she doesn't like water "running" on her skin for the same reason. Touching your son really does hurt him, the touch itself; a soft touch is different from the impact of a fall. It looks illogical on first viewing, but if someone has a mixed up sensory system, there's no reason why the hard impact will be the soft touch to him, and the soft touch will be the hard impact.

I don't wear a shirt around the house for it's uncomfortable (I cannot wear a watch too), it hurts, but I'll fall over and feel nothing--I notice I always have bruises that I have no idea when/how they happened, but since I don't feel too much external pain, I kinda throw myself around haphazardly (not caring if my shoulder smacks into the door frame for example).

It's a neurological condition, and sensory symptoms originate from the CNS (brain).

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 8:52 am

I used to have a high pain thershold when I was younger. But that all changed the older I got.

When I was a kid I could run around everywhere with no shoes. My feet stayed perpetually cut all to hell. I used to get stung on my feet on a regular basis. I could get roughed up and take a lot of abuse and a lot of hits. But as I get older I'm nowhere as tough. I'm just a big jelly-filled wussy now.