Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

I love to give hugs, and I also love to receive them. I especially like it, when I hug with an overweight person. I also like to cuddle, as well. Is is unusual for someone with AS to be as affectionate, as I am? :O)

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:01 pm

NO it isnt!
I have an online mate who is lower functioning than my son and he likes hugs. My son very rarely gives or accepts hugs.
I LOVE hugs but then again I'm not normal :lol:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:02 pm

I actually do like being hugged, but because I appear to others to be emotionally and physically distant naturally, people do assume that I don't like them, so hardly any of my friends hug me. I only seem to receive hugs from immediate family, my boyfriend and a close friend of mine.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:04 pm

I love hugs :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:05 pm

:O)

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2008, 6:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love to give hugs, and I also love to receive them. I especially like it, when I hug with an overweight person. I also like to cuddle, as well. Is is unusual for someone with AS to be as affectionate, as I am? :O)

I'm not all that into giving hugs, but I sure do like to receive them. And yes, hugs from an overweight person are the best. :lol:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:10 pm

Although am not aspie [wasn't sure if this thread is only aimed at aspies?] ,am do like hugs-extremely tight ones,but it took twenty years to find that one out,as am always kicked and punched anyone away who tried to hug.
Then am was given a 'bear hug' by one of the support staff am had at college at the SEN/disability courses certificate presentations,and am had never had a better feeling than that.
Am like to hug cats a lot.

Am also cannot believe Strapples has not seen this thread yet!

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:14 pm

Depends on how it's given. A really good hug can just melt ya. But a badly done one is gross in the extreme.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:17 pm

Love hugs, especially good strong ones that like attempt to break ribs :)

)))))))))hug((((((((((

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 6:21 pm

As long as I know the person giving me the hugs and that I'm comfortable with this person than I'm okay with getting hugs. I'm not one to give hugs often but it's pretty much the same thing, as long as I know the person am comfortable with and if it's a necessary situation then I'll give a hug. Another thing is that I prefer hugging women a little bit more than hugging a man.

MsJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2008, 6:22 pm

I like hugs from cute boys! :D And from a few select friends. Other than that, they're tolerable, I guess. Except from my parents, especially my mother, who I have never gotten along with (she exacerbated my feelings of being strange and made me feel like I was wrong all the time. She still thinks I am weird). The every-so-often times she has tried to hug me, it makes me cringe.

-J.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:35 pm

MsJ wrote:
I like hugs from cute boys! :D And from a few select friends. Other than that, they're tolerable, I guess. Except from my parents, especially my mother, who I have never gotten along with (she exacerbated my feelings of being strange and made me feel like I was wrong all the time. She still thinks I am weird). The every-so-often times she has tried to hug me, it makes me cringe.

-J.

I know how you feel, especially concerning feeling 'weird' about giving hugs to my mother. She and I NEVER got along for most of my life, and it took me almost 25 years to finally tell her (over the phone) 'I love you.' She didn't say it back. She does now, of course, now that she's an old woman trying to get into heaven, but it's still very awkward when we try to show affection (that neither one of us really feel toward one another). It's like we only hug and say 'I love you' because we're supposed to, or something.

I'm not a touchy-feely person, and I dislike being touched or hugged by anyone I don't know or am not related to. I'm not a germophobe or anything, it's that I just don't feel comfortable with casual human contact unless it's absolutely necessary. I try to avoid shaking hands for the same reason. There's a woman at work who likes to hug people every time there's a social gathering of workers. I try to make sure she's gone or at least preoccupied when I finally show up. It's not her fault, it just makes me extremely uncomfortable, that's all.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:46 pm

I love them, all the time!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MsJ

24 Feb 2008, 6:51 pm

Rainstorm5 wrote:
I know how you feel, especially concerning feeling 'weird' about giving hugs to my mother. She and I NEVER got along for most of my life, and it took me almost 25 years to finally tell her (over the phone) 'I love you.' She didn't say it back. She does now, of course, now that she's an old woman trying to get into heaven, but it's still very awkward when we try to show affection (that neither one of us really feel toward one another). It's like we only hug and say 'I love you' because we're supposed to, or something.

My mother loves me, in that way mothers do, because they gave birth to you, but it's not personal - she doesn't love who I am. In fact, if she really spent time getting to know me (we have a very superficial relationship), she probably wouldn't like me at all, as we are worlds apart philosophically and opinion-wise. She is very much of the NT world - I couldn't possibly tell you if she IS NT, but she seems to think that the NT way of being is the be-all and end-all. I keep her at arm's length emotionally - she's actually dangerous to my mental health.

-J.

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2008, 7:00 pm

iceb wrote:
Love hugs, especially good strong ones that like attempt to break ribs :)

)))))))))hug((((((((((

Yeah, that's pretty much me.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 7:20 pm

No, I only give them when I know it's expected by people I'm comfortable with like my grandparents. But if someone, even parents or other family members try to give me an unexpected hug, I stiffen up, then when I realize what they are doing, I give them a quick pat before pulling away. I'm not very physically affectionate with people, and sometimes even flinch or unconciously lean away when people get too close. But to animals I'm extemely affectionate. I often forget how to be polite and proper to people I meet, but I never forget to greet their pets with a smile and a pat. Not sure why that is.