Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2012, 9:00 pm

Hey Guys and Girls,
There are a lot of things that annoy me or add to a sense of sensory overload. But you know those smooth rounded rocks you get at the beach, to me they're in a whole other category. They make my nervice system want to burst out of my body to escape, its like nails on a blackboard X 20, sand to a lesser extent, I won't walk on a beach without full shoes and still squirm, but those rocks the tactile sensation or the sound of someone rubbing them. So what's your kryptonite?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Pencil erasers! Those rocks are pretty bad too now that you mention it lol.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 9:32 pm

Teeth being brushed and buzzing from lights.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 9:39 pm

Rubbing, scraping rock noises are pretty bad. For most of my life it was tickling. There are a few boys in my family on or near spectrum, and every one of them can be force tickled from half a foot away into a crippling giggle fit. I was one of them until I moved in with my then fiancee. I hate it, though. My step father got mad at me once because, when I was a child, he sneaked up behind me and seriously DUG his fingers into my scrawny little ribs and tickled me painfully until I cried.

MELODY-S
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2012, 9:44 pm

Kinme wrote:
Teeth being brushed

Ditto to this one. I don't know why but that sound is just horrid to me - except when it is me brushing my own teeth.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2012, 10:49 pm

The smell of most perfumes, and certain cleaners.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 11:01 pm

MELODY-S wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Teeth being brushed

Ditto to this one. I don't know why but that sound is just horrid to me - except when it is me brushing my own teeth.

And ditto for me. Everyone in my house keeps the bathroom door closed when they brush their teeth, because it riles me so. And speaking of bathrooms, there are other sounds in this category that are kryptonite to me, but I won't spell out what they are.

I also cannot stand slurping (my number 1 kryptonite), or eating and drinking sounds (including chewing gum), and there are many other sounds that are very unpleasant, although not quite kryptonite (whistling is pretty bad).

Slurping, though - ugh, even the word gives me the shivers.

The smell of oranges, tangerines etc being peeled is also very unpleasant.

Griffen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2012, 11:04 pm

High-pitch (and sudden) screams from children. At least when I see it coming it's a bit more manageable. I do have a son (ASD) and luckily his scream doesn't seem to have that glass-shattering quality to it.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 11:25 pm

one-A-N wrote:
MELODY-S wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Teeth being brushed

And ditto for me. Everyone in my house keeps the bathroom door closed when they brush their teeth, because it riles me so. And speaking of bathrooms, there are other sounds in this category that are kryptonite to me, but I won't spell out what they are.

I also cannot stand slurping (my number 1 kryptonite), or eating and drinking sounds (including chewing gum), and there are many other sounds that are very unpleasant, although not quite kryptonite (whistling is pretty bad).

Slurping, though - ugh, even the word gives me the shivers.

The smell of oranges, tangerines etc being peeled is also very unpleasant.

It makes me cringe. I have to cover my ears sometimes. I can brush my own USUALLY without issues. I like to do it in the shower so that I can't FEEL or hear the bristles as well.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 11:28 pm

Mine is bright lights, overhead, unshaded, flickering, humming, hot.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:51 am

Squeaky lead in lead pencils, the feeling of touching someone else's hands when my hand is either really dry or drying of after going into a pool (this one's a confusing one, I don't know how to explain it), the scraping sound when I'm at the dentist.

I can't think of any other sensory issues that actually cause pain at the moment. I'm extremely ticklish and jumpy at loud/unexpected noises though. You don't even have to even touch me to tickle me.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:01 am

Anything loud.

Loud talkers, loud sirens, loud dogs, even loud toilets when I was a little kid. (thank goodness I grew outa that)

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2012, 1:15 am

Sempiternal wrote:
the scraping sound when I'm at the dentist.

This must be the number one reason for me that I'm likely to have a panic attack before the dentist, possible meltdown afterwards and therefore the reason I no longer attend my 6monthly checkups (thanks to my mum).

I absolutely hate the sound of a thick bristled brush sweeping on materials like concrete. Make it sweeping something damp, to add the noise of sloshing water into it and I might actually throw up (well, unlikely but it gets a huge reaction).

I don't know why the water, because I don't have a problem with water, in fact I'd say I like the sound of water on its own, just not with a brush.

I also hate sand, as mentioned above. My mum never sympathises when I say I don't want to go to the beach, because of the sand, and she especially doesn't sympathise with me not wanting to wear shoes that have had sand in them.

Intravenus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2012, 3:35 am

Being suddenly touched with something cold turns me into a flailing maniac.. Sometimes I accidently knock the cold tap on with my knee in the bath, then create a miniature tsunami with my flailing!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 May 2012, 3:42 am

Loud noises. They shut off my conscious thought and leave me dazed and confused afterward.

Lots of others too, but that one happened today and yesterday.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:42 am

you know how sometimes a knife gets stuck between the teeth of a fork? now the sound of dislodging them; even seeing that happening sends my auditory processing sky-high...