Another Right vs. Left Brain Dominance Test (not the dancer)

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2008, 6:20 am

M_LibertyGirl wrote:
I just took both. they kept switching, the dancer even nearly at every turn. what does that mean? anyone else like that?

I spent a lot of time looking at that spinning lady and I'm pretty sure it's a trick. If you focus on the hip/thigh area, I'm *sure* she changes legs every now and then, but maybe it's my brain playing tricks.

Mr_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2008, 8:45 am

I can see the dancer spinning both ways. It's easy to get her to switch: look at her feet. Notice that she is reflected on the ground. This is what enables the image to appear to spin "both ways." It's a mirror, and the direction that the dancer spins will be opposite of that of the image. Just depends on where you focus.

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2008, 8:53 am

Eyes kept wandering around...looking for the color in the lines that I was reading the word of. I still can't find the orange, I think the montior needs adjustment...

Madlen
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2008, 9:00 am

Test took me 20 sec.

I don't know if these tests really work and if you really could say that on hemisphere is dominant. Plus I'm not sure that you could clearly relate brain functions to one hemisphere. But if the right brain is detail-oriented, wouldn't all Aspies have to be right-brain dominant?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:02 am

I did it in about 30 seconds.

I distinguished between the color and the word very easily, the problem was SAYING the color instead of the word, it felt like the language areas on the left side of my brain had a mind of their own that contradicted what I actually wanted to say.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:06 am

I can scan words into my mind without reading them at the same time and thus pass these tests easily. I just skip understanding the word and instead name the colour.

djoek
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2008, 9:07 am

I did this test in less than 20 seconds, just don't look at the word and focus on one letter of each word. I don't think this is very representative because the list of right-side brain functions doesn't fit my personality at all.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 11:33 am

I'm good at tests like that, but I don't think that the list of traits they put on there are really characteristics of "Right brain" and "left brain" dominant thinkers. They're based on some gross misunderstandings of actual neurology.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:56 pm

I recently bought DS Brian Trainer. It has similar test, which I am s**t at. I am trying to test it with some of my workmates according to where they fit on the spectum. I want to test it specifically on the extreme NT types expecialy the woman. I believe by doing the exercises that NTs are good at will strengthen the part of the brain that NTs use thus making me more like one.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 1:04 pm

It's easier to read the word, but it isn't difficult to see the colour either. What I do is just look at a piece of the first letter, so as to focus on the colour and not read the word.

Both easy, though I'm pretty certain I'm more right-brained than left.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

28 Feb 2008, 3:42 pm

Both sides of my brain are dominant. No, this is not the same as neither side being dominant, or a balance between the sides; both hemispheres of my brain seek to be dominant, and it is a struggle to keep them balanced (insofar as I am able to); it is an unstable arrangement, both creative and logical but bordering on madness. My mind is the place where two storm fronts come together and tornados ensue.

I have some limited ability to consciously tilt the dominance in either direction, to control the intermix ratio so to speak. People who have interacted with me more than a little might have heard me say things like, "You are now talking to Icarus's left brain." if I'm trying to approach something with pure logic and complete emotional detachment. Much more rarely I try to communicate entirely from the right side of my brain, but that part of me is very chaotic and erratic; it is not a part of myself that I share readily.

I can run through the colour test either reading the word or saying the colour very quickly and with no difficulty; I can also read the word and then say the colour or visa versa with slightly more effort to balance; when I do that, I can almost literally feel either side of my brain clicking into play, similarly to how one might look at something with either eye closing one and opening the other.

Good fortune,

- Icarus is ambidextrous...

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2008, 6:20 pm

I'm certainly right brained. The color thing was easy and the spinning dancer I couldn't get to seem like she is spinning counter clockwise, none of the advice the other posters gave is any help.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2008, 8:21 pm

I'm very left brian dominated

SuedeIII
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Feb 2008, 12:38 am

Sorry about my little ADD-OCD moment earlier.

This ended up for me finding some issues with myself and MIXED LATERALITY, if anyone's interested.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:41 am

Less than thirty seconds, and the right brain dominance list was pretty accurate.
I always thought brain dominance flipped regularly.
An easy test is supposed to be close one nostril (and your mouth :doh: )
breath for a bit and then compare ease of breathing with the other nostril.
The opposite side of the brain to the easiest nostril is dominant.
I did this after the test and again scored right brain dominant.
I am going to try it again when according to the nostril breathing test
my left brain is dominant and see if it is more difficult.
Anyone care to try it?

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Feb 2008, 5:49 am

anbuend wrote:
I'm good at tests like that, but I don't think that the list of traits they put on there are really characteristics of "Right brain" and "left brain" dominant thinkers. They're based on some gross misunderstandings of actual neurology.

I second this.