Page 4 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Cato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2005, 3:36 pm

It's a Jerusalem cross. I thought it was simple and clean.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2005, 4:00 pm

MY HAIR :D

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2005, 8:03 pm

Mine's Lisa Simpson "Scream"ing - I love the Simpsons (Lisa in particular), and I feel like screaming often, so there you go (I'm not going to claim any interest in the Munch or whatever he's called bit as art bores me thoroughly)..... It used to be Lisa in a Star Trem uniform (another of my favourite things) with a very odd and confusing facial expression that just seemed so apt for an AS forum...... Oh, how I miss that avatar :cry:

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2005, 8:05 am

Finally discovered what Brother Juniper (in my picture) is holding behing his back: a PILLOW!! There's a text on the foot of the figurine which says: "be prepared". Good old smart little Juniper has found a way to prevent his ass getting hurt... :lol:

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2005, 8:20 am

I have changed my avater and replaced it with this new one which isnt quite as morbid as it seems.

It is Death, but it's the Death of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett.
Discworld is a fantasy world, but is people not with heroes and evil madmen, but by real people who gripe about the weather.
in homage of Shakespare and Macbeth:

Quote:
"In the middle of this elemental storm a fire gleamed among the dripping furze bushes like the madness in a weasel's eye. It illuminated three hunched figures. As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shreiked: 'When shall we three meet again?
There was a pause.
Finally another voice in far more ordinary tones: 'Well, I can do next Tuesday.' (Wyrd Sisters)

I love these books which are the funniest books on the planet and have a lot of characters who have Aspie traits.

There is "Leonard of Qurim", obviously based on Da Vinci. Loenard has the kind of mind that attracts the raw particles of inspiration which fly through the universe. He is an inventer, writer, artist and all round genius.
Its said that the invention of the internal combustion engine has been held up on the Discworld for many years as he can't work out how to make the dice fluffy.
Leonard has been obstensibly held prisoner for many years by the Patrician, the ruler of Ankh-Morpork. Although:
Quote:
"Not that the man was a prisoner, except by dull, humdrum standards. He appeared rather grateful to be confined in this light airy attic with as much wood, paper, sticks of charcoal and paint as he he desired and no rent or food bills to pay.
In any case, you couldn't really imprison someone like Loenard of Quirm. The most you could do is lock up his body. The gods alone knew where his mind went." (Jingo)

After an enforced trip to the outiside world Leonard upon reaching his attic thinks:
Quote:
"So that was the world, was it? Clearly a mad place, with madmen in it." (Jingo)
and promptly locks himself in.

The Unseen University, a magical university, has more than its fair share of "aspie-like" members.
There is Ponder Stibbons and the students of the "High Energy Magic" department (HEM) who often spend all night working of the Disc's first "thinking machine" called HEX. A wonderful device that seems to need the small mouse that has built its nest in the working in order to work, and does occasionally need to be "rebooted" (which involves prodding it gently with the foot "in a technical way").
The Librarian of the University (one of almost everyones favourites), displays an almost fanatical devotion to his books, although its sometimes hard to tell as all he says is "ook". But what else would an orangutang say?.(It is a magical library, with magical books and, well, accidents happen.)
The Bursar of the University can manipulate numbers in his head, beyond imagination, unfortunatly, thanks to some "robust" treatment by the current Archchancellor, (A big and boistrous man who feels everyone should get out more for plenty of fresh air), the Bursar now only occasionaly visits reality and has to keep taking the dried frog pills, (cutting edge medicine for discworld).

But Death is my favourite. He as a major character in many of the books, and always "TALKS LIKE THIS." Merely a professional doing his Duty of making sure that life ends at an appointed time, it is clear that, in some undefinable way he is on our side.
Being a traditionalist he, of course, appears a a seven ft tall skeleton with flowing black cloak and scythe, though most people he meets simply refuse to believe their eyes so don't recognise him.
He attempts to imitate humanity but always seems to get it wrong.
During a breif break from his work, he finds himself at a party, (though of course no one realises exactly who he is), and gets involved in a conga line and a conversation with another guest.
Quote:
"WHAT IS THIS FUN?
'This is!'
TO KICK VIGOROUSLY IS FUN?
'Well, part of the fun. Kick!'
TO HEAR LOUD MUSIC IN HOT ROOMS IS FUN?
'Possibly.'
HOW IS THIS FUN MANIFEST?
'Well, it - look, either yo're having fun or you're not, you don't have to ask me, you just know, all right? How did you get in here anyway?' he added. 'Are you a friend of the Patrician?'
LET US SAY, HE PUTS BUSINESS MY WAY. I FELT I OUGHT TO LEARN SOMETHING OF HUMAN PLEASURES.
'Sounds like you've got a long way to go.'" (Mort)

At over 30 books and counting, discworld should be able to keep anyone entertatind for a few hours at least.

Try them, you'll laugh.
(ok some of the earlier ones are a bit sparse, but something like "Feet of Clay", has more plot than Dickens.)

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2005, 9:33 pm

I just got my avatar changed, i was tired of that old Triforce mark. One of my new obsessions is with a TV/game series called F-Zero GP Legend. The story takes place in the future, where new transportation methods have put Earth in contact with other life forms on other planets, as well as new technology. Apparently, sometime between now and this time, somebody invented an ion propulsion engime and created the F-Zero circuit, which literally left NASCAR in it's dust. There are many different tracks and machines, but the idea is simple: The winner is the one that can survive racing at super-high speed on a antigrav-elevated track in a ion-discharge-propelled machine and cross the finish line after a norm of ten laps. The story in GP Legend follows the endeavors of the Elite Mobile Task Force, a group of cops who all race on the F-Zero circuit. Thier sworn enemy is a group known as Dark Million, who use the money their agents win from the F-Zero circuit to fund their evil deeds. But enough about the story. My avatar is a picture of three of the characters: Jodi, the second-in-command of EMTF; Gorro, a criminal samurai that keeps popping up in the storyline; and another person i cannot recognize. In the background is a shot of one of the machines in action. I think that particular machine belongs to Captain Falcon, a bounty hunter and elite racer. If you want to see the show, it comes on on Saturdays between 0900 and 1100 hours on Fox, along with a series of cartoons known as 4kidsTV. Anyways, i have to go. see ya!

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2005, 11:34 pm

Mine is the logo of the no-longer existent Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad.

I wanted to have it be the Colorado Midland logo, but I couldn't find one that would work as an avatar.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Ebi
Raven
Raven

23 Feb 2005, 11:37 pm

A happy, seal-like ball of rice with a piece of shrimp (ebi-nigiri, for those into sushi) screaming "Eat Me!"

Seriously. :D

Now for real... I spotted this character on a Japanese site whose address I forgot, quite some time ago. At the time, it seemed odd to me that there could be a cartoon about thinking, acting pieces of food (then again, there's "Babe" and that seemingly didn't affect pork rind or bacon sales in America)

Later on, I heard about Anpanman - a kid's Japanese cartoon about a superhero made of bread, and therefore edible (yes, they eat parts of his head in the show) and the connection was immediately evident. Of course, it's a Japanese thing.

And no, I'm not an anime freak. That stuff is either hit or miss with me. I like some of it, but I'm not a freaking "otaku" in any way.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2005, 10:08 am

Chris wrote:
Here's the story behind my avatar.

It used to be that annoying talking smiley-face, and that represented my garrulousness. But that got old.

Now my avatar is a picture of my imaginary friend and alter ego, Iris. I have known her ever since I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 4, but I actually never seen a picture of her that matched my mental image until very recently. I was telling my friend about her and she said that she saw someone on a Pokémon game who matched my description. She gave me the Url link to her and I liked her so much I made her my avatar. She fit my mental picture perfectly. I persuaded my parents to get me the game in which she is the protagonist. If only Iris were actually real... :oops:

:star:

That chick is kinda hot

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2005, 10:08 am

My avatar represents my faith

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 11:42 pm

My avatar represent my current interests, plus the fact that I live in Illinois.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:07 am

My avatar represents my eternal inner child.

Elroy's mouth is open because he's a "little professor".
His eyes are open because he wants to see and learn everything. His brows are raised because things are seldom as they seem.
His demeanor is relaxed because he's a gentle, fun-loving character.
He's smiling because he's found a home.
And (last but not least) he's a techno-geek with a WiFi hat! :P

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:07 pm

My avatar is real simple.

It is me driving my school bus. My para took the picture.

Since driving is an interest of mine, it fits perfectly.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2005, 1:25 pm

My avatar is Ryoga Hibiki, one of the characters from the anime series Ranma 1/2.

Why? Well, suffice it to say, he's extremely directionally impaired. Tries to find the lot directly behind his house and ends up circumnavigating the earth before he finds it.

My own sense of direction-- or lack thereof... well, it isn't quite that bad, but let's just say it's eerily close.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 6:45 pm

my avatar represents my team pride. CATAMOUNTS ROCK!! !! !

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2005, 2:23 pm

My avatar is a butterfly. I have a thing about butterflies, b/c I started dreaming about them when I became pregnant with my daughter and butterflies are what I picture when I think of her or hear her name. I often don't see her little face in my mind, but a beautiful blue butterfly.

Her name is Zoë Belle.

Tallgirl.