Vaccine obsessed Parents - different than other parents?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 5:39 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with parents who are convinced that vaccines made their kids autistic but the few I've known don't seem to accept their children's stimmy ways as much as the ones who don't think as much about vaccines causing their kids' autism.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 5:56 pm

If you believe autism is caused by vaccines, you're probably more likely to think it's a problem. It's like the boy who gets raped and turns out to be gay. The parents aren't going to be as accepting of it because they think they know the cause.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 6:13 pm

That's an interesting way to look at it, a really helpful way to put my thougts into perspective. Thanks!

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

01 Mar 2008, 7:31 pm

My 2 sons who have been diagnosed with Asperger's have it because they inherited it.

It has nothing to do with vaccines.

I think if you believe it has to do with vaccines you may focus your time on being angry and blaming, rather than getting on with it.

But I can't really speak for parents who believe it was caused by a vaccine. This is just my opinion.

My 3rd son just had his booster 4 year old vaccines.

BTW, I suspect he's Aspie too!

Helen

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 8:28 pm

So the vaccine parents are advacating for their stolen child but in the meantime, the autistic child doesn't stay young waiting for the stolen child to come back and retake his or her rightful body. That's sad for the whole family.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 8:36 pm

I never know about autism when Damo got his vaccines but even if I did he still would have gotten them. In my opinion tho it is better to vaccinate than to lose a child becase they died from getting say whooping cough.
I know first hand the dangers with vaccines, I had a major reaction to the tetanus one a couple of years ago and still suffer the effects ocassionally.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 9:51 pm

Even if vaccines DID cause autism... it's a hell of a lot better than polio.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:47 am

Vaccine obsessed parents are VERY different to other parents. The VO parents (as I'll call them) have one common link - blind panic because they see Autism as all bad and no positive points, as well as being impossible to cope with unless both parents give up their other interests out of the home - including employment. This happens because of the lack of appropriate support for Autism.

Now when the VO parents latch onto something that gives them hope - anything - they grab it with both hands without a second thought. Especially if that "something" provides some small positive outcome, which more than likely is unrelated to the root condition.

Another common link amongst the VO parents is a refusal to listen. Obviously the worst example of this is John Best Junior.

My firm view is that a parent who refuses to listen is a threat to their child. Of course the gravity of that threat varies - depending on what the parent is actually doing. It's a common argument by the VO parents that people like us who oppose a cure oppose any form of treatment whatsoever. I don't know about the rest of you reading this - but I for one don't oppose treatment full stop. I oppose the wrong treatment. The right treatment mostly involves psychological support - and maybe some dietary changes as long as it's early enough.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:50 am

Orwell wrote:

Or cancer, or death.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 6:24 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Or cancer, or death.

Or Whooping Cough, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, AIDS.....the list is almost endless!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 11:30 am

I've seen anti-vaxers come in every shape. And now after meeting some "autism moms" yesterday, I've added some more. One mother knew for a fact that Aspies were a biological fact throughout her family tree. She claimed that most of her older relatives, including herself, had Aspie traits. But then she said that her son was "normal until his vaccinations". She also referred to different milestones where he regressed and ended up contradicting herself.
Then another mom was a total hippy and believed her son was autistic because of vaccinations (and said she won't vaccinate her infant daughter). But yet, he has been on psych meds and has a plethora of diagnoses.

How can you blame "Big Pharma" and believe they lie about the safety of vaccinations on one hand and then turn around and accept multiple medical diagnoses and give your child heavy duty doses of psych meds????? That doesn't make sense.

My child was born autistic. I procrastinated on a bunch of vaccinations because we moved out of state and I'm a slacker. So, it took me a while to catch up. So, I know he was autistic before those vaccinations and he didn't change afterwards. He just kept on missing developmental milestones, just he had been. The older they get, the more noticeable it becomes. No one notices when a 4 month old screams and cries, but they notice when a 9 month old or a 15 month old does. They dismiss when a 12 month old isn't speaking yet but when they're 3, it's a big deal.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 12:48 pm

I was always under the imprerssion that most of those vaccine-bashing parents have angry or depressive issues they need to deal with and see a shrink about or something.

f**k; now I'm bein insensitive like some people were to me. I'm so confused.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 1:29 pm

I hesitated to show this earlier, because I think he went too far with his kid, and acts a bit silly, but HERE is an interesting video! It starts out slow, etc... Be patient.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-azkTDabXU8[/youtube]

BTW I disagree with the message here abot AS vs autism, BUT...

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hh6JOsMpyrQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:34 pm

The vaccine-obsessed parents are victims of fearmongers that make their money by getting frightened parents to give them donations.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:55 pm

Odin wrote:
The vaccine-obsessed parents are victims of fearmongers that make their money by getting frightened parents to give them donations.

AND get them to believe the BS - neatly creating a package for the anti-vax cult.