Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

I live in Jersey, and have Never Ever seen this Ever, its insane what you find out whats going on right underneath your nose.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2008, 4:36 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I live in Jersey, and have Never Ever seen this Ever, its insane what you find out whats going on right underneath your nose.

aint that the truth.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 4:38 pm

and that was only 10 years ago, does anyone know if this thing is still going on, because if it is feel we all need to do some think about it..

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 4:51 pm

asplanet wrote:
and that was only 10 years ago, does anyone know if this thing is still going on, because if it is feel we all need to do some think about it..

Yea it said it was last updated in 2003, so i dont know. Around by me, i have never heard of such a thing, i hear a lot of crap about Jersey, but when i mention ocean county, or towns by me, nobody says anything, so its weird.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 4:55 pm

It sad.

Worst part is, there are so many caretakers out there who have no idea on what they're doing and resort to these things. :roll:

03 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

I know it was still going on when I was in high school, this was in the early 2000's. I have read articles about autistic kids dying from being restrained and my ex aspie mate was restrained a lot in his school.

I don't understand why Abbie was restrained for refusing to blow her nose and going to a time out area, I thought restraints were used for when they are out of control like if they are throwing a tantrum, throwing things, being violent, then they get held on the ground because the teachers are just protecting themselves and the other students and they wait till the child is calm down before they get up.
What are grown ups supposed to do anyway when a child is out of control and is in danger of the other students and grown ups?

I suppose they can also be used for when the child needs to have their teeth brushed or their hair because that's what my mother had to do to me and I never suffocated from it. Perhaps she didn't press all her weight down on me, she only held me between her legs and kept my arms between her too so I couldn't fight. She did it because I hated having my teeth brushed and my hair, she had to hold me down so she could get it done. But how do restraints kill other kids? I figure the grown ups are pressing all their weight down on the child and they suffocate to death.

I have heard a story about an autistic person who was always in restraints and the parents had to go to court for it so they won't be charged as abuse. They did that to their child because he was violent and it was to keep him from hurting other people.

So what are people supposed to do to keep kids from hurting other people if restraints are out of the question?

I did see the Aversives however and that doesn't make any sense either.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 11:38 am

This kind of thing really hits a nerve with me. Our state currently does not have any specific laws as to what constitutes as appropriate restraints, and seclusion. I know this, because I've seen restraints being used on my 3 yo (now 4) severely autistic son. I immediately called our local organization for those with special needs to get advice as to how to handle the situation with the school. I was appalled to find out that there wasn't anything that I could do legally about it.

Of course, I didn't let it go. I called our local disability rights center, and got them involved. I educated myself on the law, and did everything to the letter. Nobody was going to strap my son to a chair just because he's too hard to deal with. Ultimately, both of my sons (they were in the same preschool class) got moved to another school, because the school they were in said they were too crowded, so they had to move students. I'm sure that the school was overcrowded, but I'm just as sure that my kids were chosen purposely. They were very afraid of the reprecussions that they were about to face. I wasn't backing down, and they knew it.

After becoming involved with the disability rights center I attended one of their meetings about writing letters, and submitting testimony to the state board of education to get regulations passed to limit, and clearly define the use of seclusion, and restraint. The stories that I heard the parents tell of how their children were treated at school will haunt me. Without laws in place our state can use whatever they want as a restraint, and a form of seclusion. They can put a kid in a box for however long they want, and they don't have to even so much as notify the parent that they did so. Which, presents a huge problem if your child is nonverbal, and cannot tell you they're being treated this way at school.

We did finally get the state board of education to have a hearing on passing regulations on the use of restraints, and seclusion. I submitted my testimony to be read. They came out undecided on the issue, and decided to moniter the situation closely before making up their mind. It wasn't the answer that so many of us wanted, but at least we have the legislators attention in the matter, and hopefully will get the law passed so that kids in Kansas will be safe in our schools. They deserve to be just as protected at school as they would be anywhere else. If parents had done some of the things that the school can, and does do, they would get their kids taken away. It would be called abuse, because it is.

Most stated have laws that define what, when , and where a restraint, and seclusion can be used. If you happen to live in one that doesn't, and you want to get involved write your local legislators. Specifically the state board of education. Get their attention.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 12:13 pm

omg...i live in family home and i get also sometimes restained....thankfully they at least know how to do it so its not hurting or anything...and they never use blidwolds etc :roll:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 12:38 pm

It happens all the time in lots of places.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm

yes! and mostly in residental or children homes where no body cares to do someting :evil:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:53 pm

Trying to use aversives to force someone to stop banging their head because they have serious pressure that they need to relieve is often like trying to force someone to stop coughing because they have bronchial asthma. Behaviorists are disgusting people and honestly, I sometimes want to kill them all.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 11:09 pm

I don't understand how schools and other places can treat kids in a way that would be considered child abuse if parents treated their kid the same way.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:53 am

ya..but they think they do rigth think

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 11:18 am

If anybody were to try to do that to me, I would have fought back, with all of my strength. I don't like to be dominated, in any way.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
If anybody were to try to do that to me, I would have fought back, with all of my strength. I don't like to be dominated, in any way.
its really no use they just get more people :roll: