Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

namariel
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2008, 11:43 am

Does anyone do this..

If I am creating a website, because of the word 'web', I think maybe I have something in common with a spider. Does that make sense? I have to think about why they're different, or might be the same.

I think about word meanings a lot, and my doctor thinks this is a symptom of psychosis.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 3:12 pm

namariel wrote:
Does anyone do this..

If I am creating a website, because of the word 'web', I think maybe I have something in common with a spider. Does that make sense? I have to think about why they're different, or might be the same.

I think about word meanings a lot, and my doctor thinks this is a symptom of psychosis.

Wordying topic

Take it from a lifelong wordsmith. Your doctor fell out of his/her tree, and knocked out common sense in the process. :x

When you think of interweb or internet you get a visual of a net, a spider, a web, because these are metaphors, symbols. even pictures. In a sense words are metaphors, because they are symbols depicting concrete things, or symbolic representations of ideas. This is how we communicate. We have to understand word meanings so that we understand each other and can communicate ideas. You are doing something very human. :D

I love playing with words. One of my literary influences is Dr. Seuss. Now there was a guy who could play with words. His books with their whimsical drawings and creative use of language are timeless classics and have been used for sixty plus years to teach children with average intelligence (like me) how to read. I still read his stuff. This brings back happy memories. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2008, 4:51 pm

Wordplay is something I enjoy. Nothing quite like a quick-witted play on words to get in a good mood. :)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 4:52 pm

namariel wrote:

It is? Can you elaborate on this? :?

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 5:50 pm

I do that all the friggin' time. It's how I process things.

Your doc has obviously never heard of someone thinking in pictures. Doh!

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

Wordplay is said to be an interest that goes with Asperger's,but mostly
in a positive and creative way rather than due to psychosis !
I developed an interest in etymology (the study of word origins) and find it rewarding and helpful in understanding other languages as well as
English. You're using your imagination,namariel,which is probably more
than can be said for your doctor !

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:35 pm

if by 'doctor' you mean 'therapist' - - - you might want to find a new one. 8O
hell of a diagnosis, there.
i don't even think that kind of 'sense' is limited to aspies or people with psychosis.
people say all the time what a word 'sounds' or 'feels' like vs what it is. poets do this.
just because you do it a bit more acutely than most doesn't mean you're psychotic.
after all, you know you're NOT a spider, right?
and the concept of the 'web' is SUPPOSED to conjure up the concept of a spider web. and therefore, by traversing it, you fee like... a spider!!

how ever can people keep up with THAT dizzying logic? :roll: