How my negatives notions about nurses were validated.

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 2:16 pm

I was riding the commuter train the other day, and a small group of middle-aged women and one guy in his late forties/early fifties sat a few seats away from me. They were all dressed up, possibly heading towards the city for a night out in town. Listening to their jokes/conversations, I soon learned that these individuals were nurses. They were so loud and unpleasant, I never suspected they were professionals. Between the noise and the laughter, the guy begun telling a story about a patient who had come to the clinic wanting him to believe a theory about the cause of his affliction, even though the patient "did not have the mental capacity to articulate a coherent sentence." When the guy finished telling his story, the other nurses exploded in laughter. A few moments later some of the female nurses started joking about how they know better than to trust patients who self-diagnose with illnesses they read about on the internet. Again, there was more noise and laughter from the other nurses. At one point, one of the nurses quipped that she could not understand why some patients refused to take a pill that would make them "feel happy." The guy replied, in a very philosophical tone of voice, "after all these years, I still don't get it. I still don't get it."

At that point I felt so upset I stood up from my seat and begun walking towards the other end of the train. In a strange way, I also felt redeemed, because these folks validated a lot of the negative notions I had about nurses.

What would you have done if you had been in my shoes? And, how would your perception of nurses have changed after this experience?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 3:07 pm

Quote:
I soon learned that these individuals were nurses. They were so loud and unpleasant, I never suspected they were professionals

YOU ARE PREJUDICED!! !! !! :twisted: WHY did you EVER think that nurses were necessarily professionals?(By the OLD meaning as I understood it of a COMPETENT person working at a worthwhile task. Basically #9 or #13 in ictionary.com, as opposed to the NEW meaning which is #7) 8O It has been my experience that, at least today in the US, MOST nurses are #7 at BEST! AND, if #7 is valid, then winners of the spelling bee may be considered professionals! The average kid getting an allowance for some menial task is a professional. GEE, I guess I am a professional furniture maker as, as a kid, I DID assemble various pieces of furniture for money. I mean you have to draw the line SOMEWHERE! Calling such people professionals is like calling janitors engineers! YES folks! It's TRUE! Some call janitors sanitation engineers even though many aren't even sanitary!

Quote:
pro·fes·sion·al /prəˈfɛʃənl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.”
7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
8. of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment.
9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.
–noun 10. a person who belongs to one of the professions, esp. one of the learned professions.
11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
12. an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 3:08 pm

Well, cosole yourself with the knowledge that those nurses are there to mop up vomit, wipe asses and do what the doctors tell them to do. They're not trained to diagnose nor prescribe medication.

anja
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2008, 3:11 pm

Quote:
They were so loud and unpleasant, I never suspected they were professionals.

Being nice isn't a prerequisit for getting a diploma and being employed.

Quote:
What would you have done if you had been in my shoes? And, how would your perception of nurses have changed after this experience?

I'm pretty good at shutting out noise, so I would most likely do nothing. The subject of their conversation would be none of my business unless it concerned me directly.

I'm sure most people share experiences from their workplace, school or similar, either with collegues, friends, on Internet forums, etc. Although I agree that these people sound unpleasant, that wouldn't influence my perception of their profession. There are idiots in every profession, social group, etc.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Well, cosole yourself with the knowledge that those nurses are there to mop up vomit, wipe asses and do what the doctors tell them to do. They're not trained to diagnose nor prescribe medication.

Very true, but there is one correction I must make: some nurses can legally prescribe medications.

Noelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2008, 3:30 pm

At the end of the day, nurses are people too, including all the stupid ideas about other people. You sure they weren't nursing assistants? If I were you, I would stop eavesdropping on other conversations if I didn't like what they were saying - they're stupid people, let them be stupid.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2008, 3:32 pm

While they may have been annoying that doesn't mean that they are not competent. I know a few nurses and a flight emt( the people that go with the med evac helicopters) and all of them say some pretty callous stuff about patients. The only one of the three that doesn't say alot of degrading or downright disturbing stuff is the only one that i would rather not have treating me. People that spend alot of time doing things like this get used to it, just like any other job, and they will joke about it. If they don't then they may not be comfortable in these situations, which has been my experience.

There are some comments on this board about NTs which were said in a joking manner but if a NT read them then it would be rather annoying. I'm sure they would react to these comments by reinforcing their own negative stereotypes of people with autism and AS, if not just grouping it all together with 'weirdos'.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 3:39 pm

Are those particular nurses annoying? Absolutely
Are all nurses like that? no

However I should point out that when someone deals with sick people day in and day out they naturally get desensitized to all of that, eventually to the point that they'll joke about it. That doesn't make it right, it's just how it is.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 4:37 pm

You'll like this Mw99:

Britten and Savill in the Telegraph wrote:
A Conservative peer has launched an outspoken attack on nurses who treated him in hospital, calling them "grubby, drunken and promiscuous".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/29/nnurses129.xml

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 5:44 pm

For the nurses' point of view www.mentalnurse.org.uk . The ones blogging here seem pretty sound.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 6:36 pm

As someone who has worked in nursing for a while, I think they are just like anyone else, except that they work a lot harder than the average worker. Yes, some are dumb, some are brilliant and some are average. Some are mean, some are the nicest people you have ever met. Why torture yourself with prejudice?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 6:55 pm

Zarathustra wrote:

They are ALSO supposed to be near SICK people!! !! You know what the solution of the idiots working with ME was to their stupid hygeine? I was supposed to "learn" to cough *******HARD*******! Not only would it have been tiring and painful, but it could LITERALLY have KILLED me! I just had MAJOR open heart surgery! I AVOIDED them like the plague, and tried to avoid infection and luckily caught NOTHING!

They are ALSO supposed to help people get around, but are CARELESS!

They are ALSO supposed to know how to hookup simple gadgets, but seem to be dyslexic and colorblind, etc...

They are also supposed to monitor things. They DON'T! I tried disabling a monitor to get their attention. It DIDN'T WORK!

They ALSO don't understand WHAT the "cardiac diet" is for! They figure since I had surgery around the heart, etc... that I should have the diet CONTRAindicated for me, and they should deny me harmless things I like and want.

Are ALL like that? NOPE! But after testing over 12 nurses in 4 different states, and 3 of the hospitals were supposed to be among the best, FORGET IT!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

I think I know how you feel, Mw99. It's not their opinions that intimidate me-- well, yeah, a little, but what worries me is that they have a BIT of influence over others' treatment or at least how THEY treat others, and how they might act, what they might do. Like if that one who talked about the antidepressants is a psych nurse...

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:50 pm

How I Nearly Became a Nurse

My dad made a concerted effort to get me to become a nurse. He emphasized that he had a friend on the faculty of a nursing program at a prestigious university. He said that nursing would be a good career for me because it is in high demand and it has to do with biology, which I have always loved.

I had to explain over and over that I am basically the opposite of what nursing calls for. Nurses have to be very social and leave the important decisions to the doctors. In other words, I suspect that a good nurse is an extrovert who prefers socialization to reading and reasoning.

If I were a nurse, I would want to hide from the patients instead of helping them. I would want to make all the decisions that doctors are supposed to make. I would probably argue with the doctors about their conclusions.

"Oh, but you could get a PhD in nursing and study the profession from a scientific standpoint," my dad said. Somehow, I doubt one could get a PhD in nursing without some actual nursing experience. Not for me. Fortunately, my dad gave up after a few years.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:57 pm

I heard an IDIOT once talking to another idiot and he said (I am paraphrasing here, but this is VERY close to what he said) "Yeah, they will SAY they are in a hurry to have lunch, and have to be seated but, after having waited 30 minutes, they leave, and you KNOW they just go someplace else and eat!". I LOST it and said "NO!! !! !! I have been there! I have only so much time for lunch! When that happens to me, I STARVE for the rest of the day!! !!"! After all, I can't just take the day off. BTW BOTH of those people were low wage workers that generally delivered pizzas.

Some people just don't take their job seriously, and even JOKE, etc... and they figure it is ok, because "Everyone else does it"!

The idea is SUPPOSED to be that you do your task in an efficient and caring way, and you get paid for THAT! Too many just wait to get paid IN SPITE of what they do or don't do!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 8:24 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
They ALSO don't understand WHAT the "cardiac diet" is for! They figure since I had surgery around the heart, etc... that I should have the diet CONTRAindicated for me, and they should deny me harmless things I like and want.

The nurses may enforce the diet, but it is your doctor who actually orders it. Just as a speech therapist may *recommend* a diet based on what the patient can swallow safely, it is still the doctor who must write the order. If they ignored your diet order, they could have gotten into big trouble.

@ the OP: Well, I have to say I have had mostly positive experiences with nurses. From the month I spent in the hospital as a child to my past two months working in a hospital (in speech therapy), I've found that I've generally liked the nurses I've met. I've found them on the whole to be caring, sensitive, and knowledgeable people. Don't tar all nurses with the same brush. Maybe that bunch you ran into weren't the most sensitive, but not all nurses are like that.

Bear in mind also that they may have had a genuine complaint about the patient, even if they weren't expressing it in the best way. Patients are not always reasonable or rational, and they can be a bit frustrating at times. Nurses deal with patients for long stretches at a time (they have very long shifts), and just like anyone else, I'm sure they feel the need to blow off steam every once in a while.