Page 20 of 23 [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2017, 3:32 pm

that would not be me

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 6:59 pm

I think the level of sympathy you get from others depends on whether you're rich or poor, and the rest is just details.

I see more yuppie-ish people going to doctors, for conditions, which I don't believe are important, getting paid prescriptions, and medical treatments, and talking about their food preferences, like it's a workout schedule.

If you don't have the money for all that, you will just get treated like a needy beggar, for wanting to be accommodated, on their time and their money.

If I have name for any of my personality quirks, then, all it means to me is that I have broadened my vocabulary. Not one of these tests has ever told me anything I don't already know about myself. It gives me a classification and tells me that others are the same way.

Otherwise, that label, hasn't changed my life for better or worse. People are commonly dyslexic, ocd, etc, etc, and, in the middle of the road, most aren't even going to take time to know what that means. It was of interest, to me, only.

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2017, 8:58 pm

I sometimes wonder if I faked Asperger's when I was being assessed. Because I score low on the Systemisation Quotient Test, (althought fairly high on the AQ & Ritvo tests), and because I can recognise if a person is angry/happy etc, by their facial expressions/voice, I wonder if I laid it on, when being assessed.
The assessment report said that I talked quite loudly and quickly, but I don't talk loudly, or quickly all the time. I gave one example, to the psychologist, where I might have offended someone, (a tutor at university), when I asked if she thought about wearing make-up. I'm diplomatic, most of the time.
I'm in no way mathematical and as for logic, forget it. I don't possess any special gifts, and the way that autism experts talk, you'd think that every aspie has a special gift/talent.
My house is very untidy - papers all over the place and pots/pans go unwashed. The reason that I thought I might be autistic, was when I read an article about Gary McKinnon and some of what was written resonated with me - the unwashed dishes bit.
If I don'tg get logic, I can't write fiction, music, (read it as well), am not mathematically inclined, can't draw, etc does this mean, I'm faking Asperger's?

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 9:07 pm

Imposter syndrome.

Felt it myself, the doctor who diagnosed me told me it's actually very common amongst autistics after they receive their diagnosis.
Still feels horrible.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2017, 12:29 pm

I can imagine someone who read about Asperger's, and the fact that there is no blood test, etc., might think that pretending might get a diagnosis and benefits. It is complicated to replicate for others. I recommend alleging back injury. There is also no way to verify medically. I remember reading about a police department where almost everyone retired early with back problems and generous support. One retired officer was later identified as a Go-Go dancer at a women's bar. His attorney commented that he might have been dancing but he was constantly in pain.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2017, 2:52 pm

+1 good post

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

Leeds_Demon wrote:
I sometimes wonder if I faked Asperger's when I was being assessed. Because I score low on the Systemisation Quotient Test, (althought fairly high on the AQ & Ritvo tests), and because I can recognise if a person is angry/happy etc, by their facial expressions/voice, I wonder if I laid it on, when being assessed.
The assessment report said that I talked quite loudly and quickly, but I don't talk loudly, or quickly all the time. I gave one example, to the psychologist, where I might have offended someone, (a tutor at university), when I asked if she thought about wearing make-up. I'm diplomatic, most of the time.
I'm in no way mathematical and as for logic, forget it. I don't possess any special gifts, and the way that autism experts talk, you'd think that every aspie has a special gift/talent.
My house is very untidy - papers all over the place and pots/pans go unwashed. The reason that I thought I might be autistic, was when I read an article about Gary McKinnon and some of what was written resonated with me - the unwashed dishes bit.
If I don'tg get logic, I can't write fiction, music, (read it as well), am not mathematically inclined, can't draw, etc does this mean, I'm faking Asperger's?

I can relate to a lot of what you've just said. It's such a horrible, confusing feeling. I've been told I'm a borderline case so perhaps that explains it. I have a lot of personal issues in general so it's a difficult thing to untangle.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:48 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:

Special gifts do not automatically come with autism. What often happens is what is known as "Special interests". What seperates special interests from hobbies and passions is the intensity of the interest and why that intensity occurs. If you are super focused on an interest you are often going to become quite knowlegable about that topic.

About that idea that autistics can not pick up emotion that is not true. It can mean you can only pick up obvious emotions. A person may say they have no problems reading body language but if they have trouble reading body language by definition they are not going to know when they are not picking up non verbal ques. There is the intense world theory of autism that states that autistics are not picking up too little but too,much and things like withdrawing into a special interests is a coping mechanism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 4:02 am

I feel like I only have the negative aspects of autism. I have no special talent or gift and my potential obsessions are blunted by antidepressants.

In regards to faking it, I had to fake being non-autistic if anything after my diagnosis, especially at work.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 9:08 am

You would have to recruit your parents, and spouse, and siblings, as confederates because (in my case) the dx process involved interviewing folks who knew me a long time.

Then what?

Do an impersonation of Sheldon Leonard from the Big Bang Theory while you're in the presence of the shrink?

Maybe that would work. I dunno.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 9:44 am

I suppose its about time one of these threads was regurgitated. I still cant understand why people want to believe that there are people faking being on the Autistic Spectrum (maybe they have identity issues?), this makes no sense to me. Perhaps there are people with Munchausen syndrome feigning being on the spectrum, but that makes no sense either as a core reason for the fictitious disorders is gaining attention, which doesn't so much fit with the AS profile.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 10:23 am

First, we would have to define faking.

Are there people out there that believe they have AS and convince themselves they have it no one, not even doctors, can convince them they don't? Sure.

Are there people that wonder that they could have it? Sure

But to me it's not the same as faking it. To me faking it would imply you would have to make up your past and childhood and make up your symptoms and exaggerate them just to get the diagnoses and you also have to fake the impairments to convince the doctor you have it because you think it's cool to have this label. But others out there who believe they have it and get so convinced they do, I don't think they're faking it because faking implies it's done intentionally to deceive people. I don't think any self diagnosers are faking it. People who fake it are more likely narcissists or have BPD or are a sociopath or have Munchausen. Ones who would intentionally fake it would want an excuse to be a jerk and be abusive and say mean things and say it's their autism and then cry people are not understanding of them when they try and hold them accountable.

But yet I do see some diagnosed people being concerned about faking it but I think that is just their anxiety because they see these topics so they start to wonder if they faked it and they fooled their doctor or if they lied on the tests. If they are concerned about it, I think the chances are they aren't faking it. People who fake it wouldn't be concerned about it because they wouldn't care and I am sure some of them really do believe they have it because they had lied to themselves so much they now believe their own lie and I am sure their "history" becomes real. I even wonder sometimes if I made my past up and didn't even know it. :? I have also been accused of faking it a few times but maybe that is my anxiety too making me think that because of those words.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 11:05 am

Since AS doesn't exist in the US anymore, it's likely many are "faking it".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 11:30 am

If this prediction came true, then the majority of AS diagnosed people are "faking it".

"Fred Volkmar, director of the Child Study Center at the Yale School of Medicine, however, found, a staggering 75 percent of those with Asperger’s and 85 percent of those with PDD-NOS would fail to meet the new requirements".
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... d_nos.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 5:20 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
If this prediction came true, then the majority of AS diagnosed people are "faking it".

"Fred Volkmar, director of the Child Study Center at the Yale School of Medicine, however, found, a staggering 75 percent of those with Asperger’s and 85 percent of those with PDD-NOS would fail to meet the new requirements".
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... d_nos.html

If this prediction came true you would have seen a sharp dropoff in new autism diagnosis. There no evidence that this is happening. I did and still do have a lot of problems with how the DSM has handled Aspergers from making it a seperate diagnosis to then dropping it but this study that I still see quoted was a whole lot of hysteria.

What you have now is a rough equvilent to the old Aspergers diagnosis "ASD Level 1 without intellectual and language impairment"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Leeds_Demon

11 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm

I scored fairly highly on the Ritvo Test and the AQ Test. I might have self selected the answers, on the Systemisation Quotient Test to obtain a lower score, as when I took it, I found that my score was above average, which means I'm not into systems/organisation. My EQ test score wasn't too low. As for my Aspie Test, originally I was shown to have noth NT and ND traits, but I took the test again to make sure I had mainly ND traits.

Just to let you know, I've been officially diagnosed, (as described in my previous post), so why do I feel as if I'm a fake? I nailed the Mind's Eye Test and can tell the emotion of people, just from their voices, but living with my Mum and late Dad, gave me enough practise to pick up on tones of voice.