people tend to misread my emotions and body language.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2016, 11:15 am

Sometimes when I'm asked a question and I have to think hard about it, my eyebrows sink together like I'm angry like :x . Then there is the common ASD eye contact body language. Also, I often have a blank face and my lips default to a slight frown. :(

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 9:12 pm

People misread me all the time. I can be talking in what seems to me like a normal voice, and my mom will say, "Calm down. Don't get upset.", even though I'm already calm. She will also periodically ask me "What's so funny?" when I somehow appear to be grinning to her. When I'm tired, people think I'm sad, and when I'm sad, people think I'm tired. Sometimes, I'll tell people rather distressing news with a smile on my face, despite what I'm saying being sad. Not sure why that happens, though. I guess I'm just happy I actually have something to say.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 9:46 pm

People tend to misread me. I've mentioned this before, but I'm more expressive with my voice and my mouth, rather than my eyes. NTs seem to use their eyes as their primary emotion-guesser. When I express fear or anger they are often startled by it, probably because they didn't get the hint with the eyes.

I have the opposite problem of many people, often, people think I'm happy when I'm sad or slightly angry. It's like my "default face" is happy.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2016, 3:21 am

Sometimes when I'm walking down the road someone walking the other way will tell me to "cheer up" or something like that, when I was just having a normal face, I thought. But then I do feel a bit grumpy because why is that person I don't know talking to me and making assumptions about my feelings?
And then sometimes I am trying my best to explain something diplomatically to my husband and he starts getting corss with me because I'm using a "tone" that insinuates he's done something wrong. I have repeatedly told him that it's not the case, that if I want to blame him for something I wil do so explicitly and that I always mean what I say, but he doesn't seem to get it and then I do get angry because I feel like he doesn't believe me or he's basically telling me I'm lying about what I'm saying when I'm doing my best to make things right.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Dec 2016, 1:56 am

People tend to think I'm upset when I'm not. I have a resting a$$hole face

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:59 am

I've been told I have an RBF.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 5:20 pm

I would be interested to know if there is anyone here who whilst unable to communicate their emotions non verbally, is able to read non verbal communication and emotions in others effectively?

My experience is that I often have to "act out" my feelings and emotions to others otherwise my experience can never adequately be conveyed. I knew from am early age that I would be like the invisible man unless I worked hard to express myself.

However, I can read other people's body language very well indeed. I credit this to firstly growing up an emotionally very damaging home and always having to be hyper vigilant. Secondly, I am as right brained as I am left, I believe this helps me enormously with intuition.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 9:44 pm

saxgeek wrote:
People misread me all the time. I can be talking in what seems to me like a normal voice, and my mom will say, "Calm down. Don't get upset.", even though I'm already calm.

Some people seem to think I'm upset about something also. It's usually when I'm trying to explain something that's important to me and I don't feel like they understand. It seems like a lot of people interpret directness with anger.