Do you hate people who think differently to you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

acousticvalley
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 95

04 Oct 2005, 7:43 pm

...



Last edited by acousticvalley on 09 Nov 2005, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,621
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

04 Oct 2005, 8:05 pm

acousticvalley wrote:
I hate people who think differently to me. Why do they have to think differently? Why can't they think the same? I know I'm right and that other people are wrong, why can't others accept that?

Is this not ironic? These are my true thoughts and yet, yes, I see the funny side. This is the funny side of being Autistic/Asperger's, I can't compromise with other people, can I?


I am not trying to be rude here,but we can't always be right...no one has the answers to everything...And we were all made with our own different from each other...I think the world would not be interesting or special if everyone were the same...

And,no,I don't hate people who think differently from me.In fact,I don't hate anyone at all.But it does annoy or bother me if they think completely different from me.

...

There's something else I have to say,but I'm not sure how to word it.I'll post later.


-SpaceCase :)


_________________
Live and let live.


hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

04 Oct 2005, 8:23 pm

Sometimes. But only when the person that thinks differently is belittiling me in some way.

Otherwise no, because it is me that is different, not them. And I also have to realise that I'm not always tolerant of different types of people, for example uneducated ones, so why should they be tolerant of me?



fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 590

04 Oct 2005, 8:28 pm

acousticvalley wrote:
I hate people who think differently to me. Why do they have to think differently? Why can't they think the same? I know I'm right and that other people are wrong, why can't others accept that?

Is this not ironic? These are my true thoughts and yet, yes, I see the funny side. This is the funny side of being Autistic/Asperger's, I can't compromise with other people, can I?


Sometimes I get really frustrated and resentful because people are so different from me. I hear all this stuff about how diversity makes the world interesting, but there are times when I think sameness would decrease the drama potential.



lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,536
Location: Gainesville, Florida

04 Oct 2005, 8:32 pm

acousticvalley wrote:
I hate people who think differently to me. Why do they have to think differently? Why can't they think the same? I know I'm right and that other people are wrong, why can't others accept that?

Is this not ironic? These are my true thoughts and yet, yes, I see the funny side. This is the funny side of being Autistic/Asperger's, I can't compromise with other people, can I?



A) Think differently to me

or

B) Think differently than me


B is the most correct. I am right and you are wrong, why can't you accept that?



lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,536
Location: Gainesville, Florida

04 Oct 2005, 8:34 pm

fahreeq wrote:
acousticvalley wrote:
I hate people who think differently to me. Why do they have to think differently? Why can't they think the same? I know I'm right and that other people are wrong, why can't others accept that?

Is this not ironic? These are my true thoughts and yet, yes, I see the funny side. This is the funny side of being Autistic/Asperger's, I can't compromise with other people, can I?


Sometimes I get really frustrated and resentful because people are so different from me. I hear all this stuff about how diversity makes the world interesting, but there are times when I think sameness would decrease the drama potential.


When people say that, I can't help but wonder if they really mean that it is the drama that is interesting.



danlo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,079
Location: Western Australia

04 Oct 2005, 8:56 pm

Oooh yes, I hate it when they think differently. First, I try to change their mind by my logic. Then if they're stubborn (:)), my debates quickly degenerate into mudslinging. Its just "ARRRGH! why can't they just listen! If they REALLY listened, they'd understand that I'm right.", y'know? It makes me laugh, sometimes, that I can be like that.



Bec
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,918

04 Oct 2005, 9:00 pm

I don't hate people who think differently than me. I think people with other opinions and views are interesting, I don't have to agree with them to enjoy a conversation or debate.

People are entitled to their own opinions even if their opinons are wrong. :wink: :lol:



Last edited by Bec on 04 Oct 2005, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 197

04 Oct 2005, 9:04 pm

I am an Aspie, but I don't think like that. Ironicly, my NT husband does!! And I hate it.....maybe its becasue I have had the chance to travel and experience different cultures but I don't exspect others to agree with me and see everything MY way. I just want them to hear me and understand my heart. I just want understanding and compassion, that to me is the most important thing, not just getting things my way.

Now finding the comprise with someone who thinks that people must agree with them is hard. That is what my husband and i have a hardtime with, but he is in the Marine Corp (probably the reason for the "MY WAY additude) That is why I think for this reason it is best to find someone who thinks like you.



TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 380

04 Oct 2005, 9:49 pm

Sometimes. But usually only if they are very rude to me, like an admin on some forum was a long time ago. He seemed to think just because I liked something that most people don't like that I shouldn't be around the children on his forum. I wasn't trying to force anyone to like it. I just talked about it. I'm still quite angry about what happened, and it was way back in February.



julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 184
Location: Wisconsin

04 Oct 2005, 10:07 pm

People who think different from me are interesting.

Why do they do what they do? What stimuli can I expose them to to deturmine the rational for their behavior? Once I have a hypothesis, more stimuli are required to test.

Oh well ... good thing my job is in research. One thing though sometimes when people just always behave in a way I think is silly, odd, whatever - sometimes I like to play with them - for the fun of it. Gotta watch that though



Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 511
Location: Alberta, Canada.

05 Oct 2005, 1:21 am

Do you want people who think different things than you to hate you? Of course not. Minor disagreement is no cause for hatred, it's not even worth dislike.

Clearly I think differently than you on this issue, yet I do not hate, dislike or think less of you because of it. Surely you do not hate me because I differ.



ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 355
Location: Adelaide

05 Oct 2005, 5:48 am

I don’t mind people who think differently from me what I hate is people who are wrong and when I precede to explain why to them they get all offended and wont even listen to my argument or even worse just keep arguing the point long after everyone is agreeing with me except them. I hate stupid people

But i can not control the urge to perform subtle social and emotional experiments on people who think differently them me :twisted:


_________________
S?cuse me my reason is currently on holiday


danlo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,079
Location: Western Australia

05 Oct 2005, 7:01 am

ajs_line_of_silver wrote:
I don’t mind people who think differently from me what I hate is people who are wrong and when I precede to explain why to them they get all offended and wont even listen to my argument or even worse just keep arguing the point long after everyone is agreeing with me except them. I hate stupid people

Exactly! Its just a big problem, when you think everyone is stupid, because you think they're always wrong. That's probably why I always fought with my siblings. They were always as stubborn as me :)



solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2005
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 486
Location: wisbech (england)

05 Oct 2005, 7:38 am

Of course I hate people like this but how are they supposed to know that your autistic


_________________
What's that...
Mercury causes autism... Vaccines cause autism

Stop talking trash


adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 549

05 Oct 2005, 7:42 am

My experience with many people I have tried to debate things with is that they let their Ego get in the way of reasoning. I actually know someone who thinks that winning the argument is the whole purpose of debate, irrespective of the veracity of the argument being advanced.

I also note that great numbers of people I have argued with tend to assert 'common sense' and 'majoritarian' views as being the only sensible ones, while not allowing for the fact that my thoughts on something might be totally different.

An example here might help illuminate the point: I was with someone last week and we were talking about body language. I said that I thought most non-verbal body-signals were culturally acquired and I highlighted the recent (well, 8 months ago), HSBC advertisements supposedly emphasising sensitivity to local customs on the part of a global banking conglomerate. The person I was with claimed that although some customs are 'learned' through cultural exposure and interaction, there were certain body-language constructs that are 'inborn' to humanity as a species. I disagreed with this, as I do not consider it to be true and I have not seen or read anything to confirm this. In the end we agreed to differ.

It is the forceful imposition of opinioin that annoys me, simply because it brooks no room for difference and it imposes a homogenised pseudo-consensus that is generally imposed by force of will rather than by reason.

Also, I don't always pick up on the fact that I am being teased and that somebody is playing 'devil\'s advocate'; arguing something that they do not really believe, just to 'get a reaction'. I do try to ensure that if somebody does that to me once, they never get the chance to do it again.


_________________
"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw (Taken from someone on comp.programming)