"On the Fringes of the Physical World" by M. Daum

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2005, 8:19 pm

Has anyone heard of a short story called "On the Fringes of the Physical World"? It's about a woman (the author Meghan Daum) who met a guy online, and it changed her life. I won't give away the ending, but I liked the story. I think it could apply to aspies quite a bit, since we use the internet a lot, and often hope to meet someone on it.

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2005, 4:52 pm

Thanks for posting that, and the link,
I found it really interesting, and quite sad...

The girl I live with I met on the internet, and I still struggle with the 'reality' of her being here, being 'real'.

I loved these bits...

Quote:
The Internet is destroying the world. Human communication will be rendered obsolete. We will all develop carpal tunnel syndrome and die." But curiously the Internet, at least in the limited form in which I was using it, was having the opposite effect. My interaction with PFSlider was more human than much of what I experienced in the daylight realm of live beings.

Quote:
The leaves on the trees were unmanageably real. He stood before me, all flesh and preoccupation. The physical world had invaded our space. For this I could not forgive him.

Liadain
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2005, 6:33 pm

I met my husband online, nearly five years ago, and we were honest with each other from the start. We hit it off immediately when we met in person and had more fun together than either of us had expected. We're still having that much fun now. I guess we were lucky.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:40 pm

Well, I'm glad the story I read for a class was so well-received in the aspie community. In that English class, we had to pick a short story and write about it. I picked this one, even though it was long before I found out I had Asperger's. I've heard talks about putting together an aspie-oriented literary magazine. I think "On the Fringes of the Physical World" should be in it. It totally matches some of the aspies' experiences with the internet, although Meghan Daum was probably an NT.