Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pinkbeans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

You handled it well. I am such a coward. I would have left without making a purchase silently, and probably let it bother me for days.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:00 am

:x :x HRMF! Ugh, the nerve of those idiots! I would have been angry to. That's no way for them to behave, and it's certainly not prophesional. You dealt with it just right. I would have blew after the laughter part. Hurling the shoe box at the wall, or something that doesn't resolve anything. I bet hitting their faces with the shoes would have felt great though.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:10 am

Greentea wrote:
"You know, that would be a whole lot funnier if my little girl didn't have Asperger Syndrome. "

You mean you'd laugh at aspies too, weren't your daughter an aspie? I find that the most offensive.

I think they meant "My daughter has Aspergers, this isn't funny, so shut up" or "I wouldn't be this offended right now, if my sweet girl didn't have AS. Your joke is stupid, so stop it" instead. It's just worded so the real jerks could understand the point.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:17 am

Greentea wrote:
"You know, that would be a whole lot funnier if my little girl didn't have Asperger Syndrome. "

You mean you'd laugh at aspies too, weren't your daughter an aspie? I find that the most offensive.

She said it as sarcasm, from what I interpreted it as. It is like saying sarcastically "Very funny" to people who are laughing, and then following the sarcastic sentence with some facts for impact.

I have been in this situation twice now with overhearing people making fun of Aspergers. I didnt say anything, I thought they would start laughing at me if I did.

Taking a break.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2008, 10:42 am

Greentea wrote:

Greentea she didn't mean it literally...give her a break. All she did was speak to them in their own language to defend her daughter.

Kudo's to you mom!

EnglishRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2008, 10:55 am

I think you handled that in a fantastic way and have shown your wonderful little girl that she doesn't have to put up with the ignorance of others and she can speak up with a positive outcome :)

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:54 pm

To be honest I would probably have scared them something fierce, but your way is obviously better.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 3:11 pm

You did the right thing. It was good that the manager recognized that it was a problem. I would doubt that the employees will continue make comments like that in the store in the future.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 3:12 pm

Wow, what a great job you did handling that uncomfortable situation. You managed to put those jerks in their place while simultaneously raising autism awareness. I probably would not have had the courage to say anything.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:55 pm

They're the ASSes!

31 Mar 2008, 8:16 pm

I would have handled it differently instead of being upset. Were they just being mean or were they innocent about the whole thing because they didn't understand the condition so they were making guesses about what it is and then making a joke?

I don't think I would have said anything though because I am always shy but I wouldn't be upset what they said because I would have found it innocent and they have more learning to do about it. If I knew them, I probably would have said something but not bite their heads off because I would not know if they were being mean or not and I'd hate to get mad at someone for something they did that was innocent. I'd feel like a jerk.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:00 pm

you handled it much better than i would of, i would of either just walked out not saying anything or thrown a couple of punches :oops: