Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohKnip
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2008, 7:56 pm

i feel stupid asking this because i should probably know because i see it all over the forums but what are "stims"? i have seriously never heard that term before XD.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:01 pm

I didn't know what a stim was either until about a month ago. Stim = self stimulation. It can be anything that an autistic/aspergers person does to self stimulate himself. For example, as a kid I used to jump, make hand movements, and sometimes rock while concentrating on things. These are some of the more common "stims" you hear about.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:03 pm

pat666rick wrote:
I didn't know what a stim was either until about a month ago. Stim = self stimulation. It can be anything that an autistic/aspergers person does to self stimulate himself. For example, as a kid I used to jump, make hand movements, and sometimes rock while concentrating on things. These are some of the more common "stims" you hear about.

BTW, the reason why autistic people stim is still unknown, but there are still many theories as to why.

31 Mar 2008, 8:06 pm

You are not stupid for asking this. Lot of people have asked this. You aren't the only one who has asked it on here.

A stim is lot of things. A stim can be doing the same thing over and over like listening to the same song over and over, listening to the same CD over and over playing the same game over and over.

Handflapping is also a stim and playing with your fingers.

Doodling is also a stim, foot tapping, finger drumming. Pacing back and forth is considered a stim and rocking your body.

Everyone stims but the reason why it's made a big deal about us is because we do it differently than normal people. I'm sure stims are a big deal too in other people who have other conditions like schizophrenia or ADD but I notice the words aren't mentioned when you read about it. Only with AS and autism and about the spectrum.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 9:18 pm

oops...guess I do stim after all...;) drumming when I'm bored. But, of course, I also have real drums...yeah...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...;)

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2008, 11:01 pm

I'm a bass player but initially, I wanted to drum, so I saved money with my paper route (I was 12) but figured drums, in the end, would cost waaaay much, so I started bass.
So..... I still tap drums all over the place, and I click teeth, and stuff, and all for RYtHYM. As a bassist, it really helps to practice 'drumming'. So I never look at it as a stim, but an exercise in my art. Don't get hung up over it.
I also was diagnosed with Tourette, so I can stim my butt off if I want, but I see those as kinda spazzy. You are in control when you drum. Makes me feel good ! !!
By the way, after a gig I won't stim for a number of days cause, as a bassist and entertainer, I can 'legally' stim all over the stage, facial expressions and all. That too, Makes me feel good ! !!

Eagles1986
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2008, 12:20 am

Can pacing be considered a stim? When I get nervous about something or if I am in deep I thought I will pace non-stop; sometimes I've done it for like 40 minutes straight and at times I don't realize i'm doing it.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

01 Apr 2008, 12:51 am

pat666rick wrote:
pat666rick wrote:

BTW, the reason why autistic people stim is still unknown, but there are still many theories as to why.

care to elaborate a bit????

may your god forgive you

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 1:01 am

oblio wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
pat666rick wrote:

care to elaborate a bit????

The most common theory is that stims are performed to relieve anxiety. I don't know if this is true or not because I don't feel like it is the reason why I do them. I actually do feel more "mellowed out" after performing stims though however so who knows, the theory might be correct.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2008, 1:20 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
A stim is lot of things. A stim can be doing the same thing over and over like listening to the same song over and over, listening to the same CD over and over playing the same game over and over.

really? crazy. Maybe that's why I watch the same movies over and over and over and over again. I own almost 100 movies, and have seen them each an average of 30 times or so. I've watched Serenity at least 50. Same with books. maybe this is an indication that I have too much free time^.^

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 1:21 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
You are not stupid for asking this. Lot of people have asked this. You aren't the only one who has asked it on here.

Handflapping is also a stim and playing with your fingers.

Doodling is also a stim, foot tapping, finger drumming. Pacing back and forth is considered a stim and rocking your body.

Everyone stims but the reason why it's made a big deal about us is because we do it differently than normal people. I'm sure stims are a big deal too in other people who have other conditions like schizophrenia or ADD but I notice the words aren't mentioned when you read about it. Only with AS and autism and about the spectrum.

Woah! Image Thanks for asking this!
I thought that it was an english synonym to meltdowns!

Spokane, thanks a lot for that explanation, now I know they are called stims :)

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2008, 1:33 am

Difference btwn stims and ticks, anyone pls?

craola
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2008, 5:01 am

[quote=foxman]really? crazy. Maybe that's why I watch the same movies over and over and over and over again. I own almost 100 movies, and have seen them each an average of 30 times or so. I've watched Serenity at least 50. Same with books. maybe this is an indication that I have too much free time^.^[/quote]

Im the same, I read the same books, watch the same programs on repeat, songs, films, it drives my family mad :)

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:14 am

i think that stims are what people use to calm themself down. were ticks are more impulsive and alway happening even if they dont want to do it.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:22 am

Eagles1986 wrote:
Can pacing be considered a stim? When I get nervous about something or if I am in deep I thought I will pace non-stop; sometimes I've done it for like 40 minutes straight and at times I don't realize i'm doing it.

Yes, I pace, same reason if I am thinking deeply I don't realize I am doing it, othertimes its because something has stressed me out; I have controlled it but was advised not to do that too much because it may be that I need to pace.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:49 pm

i tap my right middle finger when people annoy me
i tap my left foot when i am worried
and i use to bang my head on the wall when pissed at people. but don't do that any more