Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:26 pm

The reason i ask this i have on rollocoaster ride of psychotropics and nutritional supplements, and i have completely lost any inhibition against socialization and no longer present as autistic. I would hate to have lost my uniquessnes and just become another dumb nt obssessed with mindless socialization.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:30 pm

The only cure for autism of asperger's is a brain transplant in my opinion. So therefore NO CURE!
And please don't call NT's dumb. Some of us are actually real cool people :)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:36 pm

Who ever we are and what ever symptoms we have they are a part of who we are. Its learning to understand and except our differences, the real problem is still society wanting to exclude what they do not understand - you have rights, so allow yourself to embrace your differences and just be you.... as we can not cure or change who we are :shrug:

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:06 pm

In my opinion, curing Asperger's is like curing homosexuals. It's wrong to destroy who a person is for the sake of their fitting in to some social cookie cutter pattern. I'm for acceptance.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:11 pm

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
The only cure for autism of asperger's is a brain transplant in my opinion. So therefore NO CURE!
And please don't call NT's dumb. Some of us are actually real cool people :)

sorry didnt mean it that way.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 6:01 pm

Autism isn't social inhibition, although that is a frequent 'comorbid'. I took Lexapro last year, and it made me very sociable. Alcohol does the same thing. Does that make me less autistic? No, actually, it just brings my idiosynchrasies to the surface. Without drugs, people just think I'm shy.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:07 pm

I don't think it's cureable, but there are things that can probably make life easier to deal with and the 'symptoms' more manageable on a day-to-day basis. A lot of people I know have found huge improvements when they stopped eating processed foods and cut out allergens (dairy and wheat/gluten seem to be fairly common among people on the spectrum). If that helps!!

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2008, 6:10 pm

I find it unlikely you've found near total remittance from symptoms if you indeed had Aspergers.

AWPerative
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 6:11 pm

I found out that the only cure for AS/autism is that everyone else be cured of their intolerance of AS/autism.

I've been extremely aggressive in the past about this and even had to throw down a few times so people would shut up.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:45 pm

BesideYouInTime wrote:
I find it unlikely you've found near total remittance from symptoms if you indeed had Aspergers.

of course my whole personality, thought process and emotions are also suppresed

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:45 pm

- No, there is no cure for AS or autism.
and
- As has been said, you don't have to be inhibited. Some people I've met with AS have been very quiet. Some have been very loud. I'm not especially quiet. And lots of people lose many of their inhibitions on certain drugs, not just people with AS.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

Asperger's Syndrome as a whole is incurable since it exists as a variation of physical brain structure. However some of the less beneficial side effects can be reversed. However that is not surprising, since different kinds of therapy can alter the personality of anyone, NTs included.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2008, 6:51 pm

I WISH there was a cure!! ! I hate being autistic most of the time.

Lordnarfington
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 6:53 pm

Even if there was a cure, I probably wouldn't take it. Anyhoo, AS doesn't mean we necessarily hate social interaction. I've been known to have my social butterfly phases.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:18 pm

The way I see the matter of the "cure" is purely a personal one. I'm successful enough already without ever requiring medication or anything of the sort, who knows without the AS warts-and-all I might not have the friends I have.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:28 pm

There is no "cure" for AS, but people do grow up and change over their lifetimes. This is true regardless of what may be wrong with them.