Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Scarlet_N
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2008, 10:19 am

As far as I can really remember, 'see' the words people speak, if that makes any sense. Almost like the words for hearing impaired on TV. If I cannot picture what the word looks like, like a different language, I have problems understanding it, and can't memorize it. I always thought this was normal, but apparently it's not. I figure this could be part of thinking in pictures. Does this happen to anyone else besides me?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:27 am

Yes, I sometimes see words, mostly ones I'm not that familiar with. It doesn't happen all the time though.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2008, 10:41 am

I feel colours and shapes as applied to feelings, people, words and such. I always thought this was normal for everyone. Some words feel sharp or round, sometimes they are associated with a colour.

I read about people who when they write, their letters have colours. Their senses have somehow intermingled and can't sort themselves out. I assume that is similar to what I experience. It's a form of Synesthesia. Sometimes I wonder how NTs manage in a boring world....

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2008, 10:46 am

DevonB wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how NTs manage in a boring world....

the definition of boring is not lack of neurologically-based phenomena ..

NTs have plenty to keep their interests occupied.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2008, 10:51 am

sometimes i "type" out words/sentences in my head prior to saying them, and sometimes what people will say comes up as written words too, but not always. in situations (around kids or MR clients) where secrecy about what's being discussed is needed, i've found that others can't follow my spell-outs of words, because i don't give them time to figure it out.

for me, smells have memories attached to them. maybe that's why places like Bath & Body Works and fragrance counters at department stores make me freak out...an overload. it's the textures that i feel in colors, and sometimes in letters too. maybe the best way of explaining the texture thing is:
i feel something
i think of the noise it would make when roughed up with a stick, etc.
i see the letters which would spell that noise
sometimes the letters are in colors/lights
(all this happens instantaneously though)

there are certain words which i cannot stand hearing or saying, and others which i look for opportunities to use, as they "feel good" to me. 2 favorites are spatula and satchel.

it's funny how many things i alway assumed were normal!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm

i don't "see" the words...as in close captioning style...........maybe unless I want to...and really try to.
I am more likely to visualise things I associate with the words...sometimes things not wholely connected with the words themselves.

Sometimes words trigger tangents..

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:28 pm

gypsyRN wrote:
sometimes i "type" out words/sentences in my head prior to saying them, and sometimes what people will say comes up as written words too, but not always. in situations (around kids or MR clients) where secrecy about what's being discussed is needed, i've found that others can't follow my spell-outs of words, because i don't give them time to figure it out.

for me, smells have memories attached to them. maybe that's why places like Bath & Body Works and fragrance counters at department stores make me freak out...an overload. it's the textures that i feel in colors, and sometimes in letters too. maybe the best way of explaining the texture thing is:
i feel something
i think of the noise it would make when roughed up with a stick, etc.
i see the letters which would spell that noise
sometimes the letters are in colors/lights
(all this happens instantaneously though)

there are certain words which i cannot stand hearing or saying, and others which i look for opportunities to use, as they "feel good" to me. 2 favorites are spatula and satchel.

it's funny how many things i alway assumed were normal!

Wow! You have just described my thought process to a T! Much better, then I ever could have, BTW. When I was a kid I used to silently spell out everything everyone around me said. I think I must've been terribly nonresponsive, because I was too busy typing the words in my head to say anything back. Letters, and words have always been one my main perseverations.

Words with ly at the end have always been my favorite, like actually, evidentally, ect... They just roll of the tongue so nicely.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:13 pm

Yes to the OP.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:18 pm

Scarlet_N wrote:
As far as I can really remember, 'see' the words people speak, if that makes any sense. Almost like the words for hearing impaired on TV. If I cannot picture what the word looks like, like a different language, I have problems understanding it, and can't memorize it. I always thought this was normal, but apparently it's not. I figure this could be part of thinking in pictures. Does this happen to anyone else besides me?
yes I'm the same way

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:20 pm

Believing is seeing topic

I see words, numbers, equations, whole paragraphs and pages of words and such in my mind. This has helped me in school and in jobs. Everything is in sequence, series, logically ordered. I am grateful for this gift. I can even remember certain faces(pictures), but not in real life and I do not understand the facial expressions. I might try to work on this at some point. :?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 1:24 pm

Sometimes when I try and spell a word out loud I'll write the word in the air with my finger to make it easier. Also I'm a terrible speller and the way I usually identify that I've misspelled a word is because it isn't "shaped" right. Often I'll forget to use double "l" 's or switch "a" and "e" because it doesn't really change the shape of a word that much.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 1:54 pm

I see images, mostly. But if I can not picture the meaning of the word, then I see the word itself.

of an infinite world.

Scarlet_N
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

Wow, bigger response than I had anticipated!

Yes, at times it can make me a bit slower in response because if someone doesn't have good diction or speaks too softly or loud then I have trouble 'translating' what they are saying, which makes my response slower.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 1:58 pm

Yes, I do. Whether it's a natural occurance or one I learned because I can't retain spoken information well, is undetermined.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 4:27 pm

When someone says something important I sometimes visualize the written sentence.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2008, 5:26 pm

Not usually... maybe pictures I associate with them. Sometimes I see words printed on paper in serif font though, and it really helps to spell words correctly. (I'm not very good at visual thinking though: if the word is too long I can only see one part of the word at a time.)