Page 6 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Apocatastasis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2009, 2:33 am

I hate sun.

One, it hurts my skin a lot, even if I'm only in it for a few seconds and two, I sneeze all of the time whenever I go in the sun..

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2009, 6:36 pm

I don't like bright sunlight. It makes me sneeze and squint so much that I look like I'm frowning. Not fun.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 7:04 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
There have been posts about this in the past too, and it seems like a lot of people with AS are.

I barely made it home one day when I forgot my sun glasses. Both of my eyes teared over and it hurt so much from the light I could barely see-having to force one of my eyes open enough to drive.

Basically it physically hurts if it's bright enough, especially my eyes.

I like warm, overcast days :)

Maybe we're vampires? :D

That also happened to me. My eyes spasmed shut and started tearing.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm

haha bdhkhsfgk.

I love being outside, and live in blessedly foggy San Francisco, but it still hurts every time I go outside in the daytime. Same with turning a light on in a dark room, and bright lights at night (headlights, stadium lights). My glasses are photo-gray, so I'm fine in a couple of minutes. I get the sneeze reaction too.

I wear contacts when I play rugby, and that is a challenge. Fortunately, it's a winter sport, and I can look at the grass a lot (especially as a lock forward <grin>).

I used to burn really easily, but not any more. I use sunscreen, of course, but even without it I'm a lot less sensitive than when I was young.

I think the eye sensitivity is related to AS, but the skin isn't. But together they made it a lot easier to be a creature of darkness instead of light.

-The Madness of King George

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 1:00 am

My eyes are sensitive to light in general... moreso now than when I was younger.

Unfortunately I reside in Phoenix... the "Valley of the Sun".

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2009, 5:50 am

I always wear sunglasses when I go out in the daytime.

I have perfect vision otherwise and still don't need glasses (even though I'm in my 40's) but I'm overwhelmed by too much brightness.

INTJ.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:40 am

Tokai wrote:
All my life I've felt that I am more bothered by the sun in broad daylight than your "average" person in society. Unless I'm wearing sunglasses I always need to squint my eyes more than what I'm comfortable with when outside. Is this perhaps another undocumented aspie trait?

Do you see all those NTs squinting and wearing shades? No? Then look again.

ruveyn

Demon-Chorus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2009, 8:41 am

My eyes are light sensitive, even as a child before I felt I was "different" my eyes were light sensitive. In middleschool when we were outside playing baseball in physical-education class, the sun was extremely bright and I felt like it was blinding.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2009, 10:53 am

I do squint in sunlight, wearing sunglasses on the brighter cloudless days, but it never hurts to look at the sky or anything. I never ever keep the lights on in my house (unless it's pitch black), usually just keeping the TV/computer on. When my friends visit, we make jokes about this horror film we all watched at one point about the lights going out before somebody was about to be murdered in this cursed hotel. Morbid but hilarious.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:46 pm

Ive always known of my visual sensitivity to light, always trying to hide in shady areas, or avoiding it directly. For the longest time, i also couldnt wear sunglasses because if they were too close to my eyes, they would start hurting. This went on for over 20 years. It wasnt until recently (along with my diagnosis) that this was part of what i had. I have to wear corrective lenses, and now i just wear the shades meant to fit over them. I actually enjoy going outside for my walks now.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 9:56 pm

I enjoy being in sunlight, but I ALWAYS have to wear dark sunglasses.

Jerry123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I can relate. I like dark places best, preferably tunnels.

I Enjoy dark places too especially in my room. oh yeah, I also have to block my eyes from sunlight

matt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:41 am

When outside during daylight I usually wear sunglasses.

If I'm outside in normal daylight and don't have my sunglasses then I close my right eye completely and squint my left eye almost completely closed. My left eye stays open just enough to see where I'm going.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2009, 1:36 am

Yep. I was always the kid squinting in the class picture when taken outside.

I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days and also having migraines I have had days where I've worn two pairs simultaneously (one on top of the other) even indoors. Needless to say I sometimes cover my eyes when someone is going to turn a light on and I get a little resentful that they can't seem to remember to do this for me but have to be scolded when they forget (I tried being nice and it never helps). I once almost got into a fistfight with a person who said I was wearing them in the morning because I was a "f**king poseur trying to look hip".

At one point a long time ago I was told this sensitivity to light would go away with B vitamins but I do take therapeutic Niacin plus B-complex (about 4 times USDA recommended dose) and still nothing changes.

I believe the Aspie quiz should incorporate sensitivity to light as a possible Aspie symptom/tendency.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2009, 1:44 am

Jamie06 wrote:
I don't mind dark or light places but if i've been inside where its dark and go outside into the sun, it makes me cover my eyes for abit, i get this quite often. And some certain lights I look at make me go all weird.

Speaking of going all weird under certain lighting, inside the lower tunnel of the Bay Bridge (between Oakland and San Francisco) there is this HIDEOUS orangish light that makes me almost go into a seizure - I have to blot the light out and actually cover my field of vision while driving thru it. I think they're going to need to pass laws calling for the cessation of the use of such mechanical devices that can create altered-brain-wave-states of mind (fast pulsing flashing lights is another of my pet peeves, along with f**king flashing cursors on computers - when I took my first computer college classes we used a mainframe and when I'd write programs I'd have to cover the cursor with a piece of paper).

Trinny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2009, 6:17 pm

I have a mystery health condition, I need sun to function.
So I’m always out sunbathing or just walking in the park.
But then I noticed I couldn’t sit still under the sun anymore. Strong sun made me very nervous.
When my sister told me to wear sunglasses 8) , it changed everything back to normal.
I don’t know if everyone gets nervous if they are in the sun without sunglasses?