Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 5:46 pm

I tend to count things - The number of steps I'm taking to a certain point , the number of papers I've unrolled in a roll of toilet paper , drumming a " tattoo " with my fingers while watching a movie til' , say , any person other than the two persons now on screen speak , counting the words in a magazine or newspaper piece .
I imagine the number will be how many episodes the TV show I make will run , how many issues the comic book I have puts out , how many performances my Broadway show runs...
I even think I may be over-stressing my hands and arms , bringing on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ( along with this typing , too ! !! ) . even...

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 6:14 pm

I do too. My job is inventory. Sometimes I count nothing, seconds, my breaths...

- Emerson

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

i randomly count things sometimes.. like ceiling tiles or light fixtures...

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

03 Apr 2008, 6:18 pm

I do a lot of counting, calculating and measuring. I generally keep a ruler, calipers and postal scale handy in case I need to quantify something.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 6:21 pm

velodog wrote:
I do a lot of counting, calculating and measuring. I generally keep a ruler, calipers and postal scale handy in case I need to quantify something.
:D

- Emerson

chella
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2008, 6:26 pm

counting calms me down so well. I loooove counting :heart:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:23 pm

I am also a counter.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

Damien is good at counting and loves it!! !
I suspect he may use countign calming tool as well, some days when we get to school he will count the bags that are hanging up especially if it has been a difficult walk to school.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2008, 10:39 pm

I count things mostly in my head. I have different categories of things, I pick one of many that I like, then I list them off sometimes repeating the list over and over again. It's not complulsive, it's just soothing. When I first started working in retail as a teenager, I got stressed by people very easily, especially before it became an establiished routine. I would sometimes need to go hide in the bathroom stall and count some things in my head for a few minutes. It calmed me down alot.

I used to make written lists all the time too. Like a shopping list, but with no real purpose. It was sort of like stimming I guess. Kind of wierd, I know.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 11:13 pm

I enjoy counting. I like to count the minutes that it takes me to complete a bath, down to all of the seconds, in every minute. I find that it speeds me up.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:07 am

Counting passes the time, I'm more inclined to stare at something or think a lot though.

newg
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2008, 1:21 am

I occasionally count.

more often I visualise geometric shapes, or blueprints for anything in my head.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 3:24 am

I rate things on a scale from one to ten. My favourite occupation is rating each year (or sometimes, each half-year or quarter) of my life according to some criterion (happiness, good or bad luck, interest in something etc.).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:06 pm

Counting - oh yes. I probably count to several thousand a day in small batches of around 1-16 or 1-25 or other. It was this lifelong "habit" that I finally looked up on Google and it pointed to a possible reason - aspergers. If I go anywhere I count the windows, floor tiles, ceiling tiles, number of desks etc.

As a child travelling in a car I'd bounce an imaginary ball off the edge of the pavement (sidewalk) and count the number of bounces across the street before the imaginary ball disappeared down a side street or someone's drive. Anyone else play this game?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:22 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Counting - oh yes. I probably count to several thousand a day in small batches of around 1-16 or 1-25 or other. It was this lifelong "habit" that I finally looked up on Google and it pointed to a possible reason - aspergers. If I go anywhere I count the windows, floor tiles, ceiling tiles, number of desks etc.

As a child travelling in a car I'd bounce an imaginary ball off the edge of the pavement (sidewalk) and count the number of bounces across the street before the imaginary ball disappeared down a side street or someone's drive. Anyone else play this game?

...Hey , TallyMan , as far as your name goes , isn't a " tally man " someone who collects installment payments from someone who bought something on the installment plan ?????????

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:32 pm

Sounds like you might have Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). I saw a show on MTV True Life about it and that person liked counting steps and other things too.