Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:14 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else here have absolutely no routine as is the suggested "stereotypes" or AS. Im in college, and I wake up anywhere from 8-9 to 12-1 everyday depending on how tired i am. Then going about the day nothing stays the same to the next day.

it seems as though i have absolutly no scheduale. Everyday is completely random in the order of things im used to doing( brushing teeth, shower, hair, food)

??

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:16 pm

I'm another who has none.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

I try to have a schedule, but Wife/Daughter/Granddaughter are all totally random, so it's hard to manage...;) they think it's funny to have a schedule, or be organized...sigh...;)

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 11:19 pm

I can try with friends, but it never works out right, so I don't bother usually. I have a morning routine, and that's about it.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 11:28 pm

Me neither. If routines are supposed to be a trait of Asperger's, then it's the one that I don't have.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm

No routines here either...

By the way, I heard about some new therapy for autism and one of the things it stated was that there were NO routines. It said that the view of having constant routines for the kids actually made it worse for them when there were not routines, so they thought it was better for the child to learn to adapt to not having routines early on vs. having everything scheduled and then when they were older it would be even harder on them when they couldn't have a routine...

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 11:46 pm

whatamess wrote:
By the way, I heard about some new therapy for autism and one of the things it stated was that there were NO routines. It said that the view of having constant routines for the kids actually made it worse for them when there were not routines, so they thought it was better for the child to learn to adapt to not having routines early on vs. having everything scheduled and then when they were older it would be even harder on them when they couldn't have a routine...

It seems that our society encourages routines, however (to an extent). Either way, from what I've seen about the therapy that autistic children receive, I get the impression that a lot of time is wasted forcing them to be more socially normal, instead of using that time to actually educate them.

Your
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2008, 12:51 am

i think in life everyone has their own little routines, that whilst aren't rigid, do serve as a plan for the day or the week. but for aspies, the predictibility in knowing what will happen calms them. Any deviance from the norm can result in the as child becoming scared, confused, and agitated at sudden changes of events.

so, lets say an aspie child and his parents decide to visit grandma. now the as child thinks that they will go straight to the gradmas, but on the way their dad notices that they need more petrol, and he has to go get money out of atm, and he also wants to get a cake to get down to grandmas. now, for a nt child that would be an annoying inconvenience, but for an as child it is terrible, and of course their respones will show that.

so, I think, that it is not the brush hair at 7, read at 7.15 to 7.35, bed by 7.45 routine, but the 'tomorrow we will be going to grandmas house, and then we will go to the grocery store' routine that if broken greatly distresses the as child, who finds comforts in things he understands, and a chage in routine is something they dont understand.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2008, 3:18 am

i have some routines , without them i cant live

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:19 am

I hate routines. Doing the same thing over and over and over again drives me nuts. I like being spontaneous with what I do. The only thing I like having a routine of, however, is my TV schedule. But nothing else.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:41 am

My son has routines to a point and without them this place can be hell. He LOVES structure and schedules and is much happier and settled with them. He is learning to be more flexible tho but I find I still have to warn him before any changes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 5:07 am

I feel that routines are like a prison. That's why I don't have too many.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

lightening020 wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else here have absolutely no routine as is the suggested "stereotypes" or AS. Im in college, and I wake up anywhere from 8-9 to 12-1 everyday depending on how tired i am. Then going about the day nothing stays the same to the next day.

it seems as though i have absolutly no scheduale. Everyday is completely random in the order of things im used to doing( brushing teeth, shower, hair, food)

??

Well, I sorta' split the diffference.
As in, I do XYZ each day, probably in similar order-but the start & end times of activities & of my "day" are completely "up for grabs"-to be determined when they happen, not ahead of time. I sleep very peculiar hours, never the same from day to day or night to night. That in itself keeps things interesting & "novel" for me, yet my "routines" of doing XYZ (things I choose to do, not enforced by someone else) provide structure & accomplish things that matter to me. I go to bed when I'm sleepy, I wake up when I'm rested-it's not based on what numbers the clock provide.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

I'm very random

Gabbaruchi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

I hate the idea of routine, yet I find myself having a few that I get very disturbed about if they change. And of course, I have to impose some routine on myself to keep my job. I'd rather have none at all, though.