Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 12:43 am

I'm not sure I understand exactly what this means. Can it include using certain phrases borrowed from an outside source in a conversatio?. And I had this odd habit when I was young of whispering what I had just said back to myself; is that echolalia, or am I just weird?

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 12:52 am

is that echolalia or am i just weird?

(hehe)

oh, and yes. and yes.

when i first came across this word while reading the dictionary, i laughed and immediately said, "Echolalia!!" at least three times and marveled what a great word it was-- since the deffinition was self evident by the fact that you just HAVE to repeat a word like echolalia.

but, apparently, there are people that can read that word and are completely unfazed by it.

weirdoes. can't they taste how it kicks on their tounge?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 1:38 am

It is a fabulous word to say isn't it :)

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 1:41 am

I sometimes find myself whispering what others are about to say right as they are saying it but just a little before they say it. Is that echolalia or pre-echolalia?

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 1:46 am

Kitsy wrote:
I sometimes find myself whispering what others are about to say right as they are saying it but just a little before they say it. Is that echolalia or pre-echolalia?

haha. pre-echo. i like it. i have been told this is because i am an impatient interrupter... but... i just get so pleased when i guess correctly what they were going to finish the sentence with. it makes me feel all happy and connected to people when i can guess them. but unfortunately, people really hate it.

Jayutimestwo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 2:01 am

As I understand it, echolalia is part of language delay. It happens when people are engaged enough to know that it's there turn to speak but not engaged enough to respond to what was said with a new thought of there own. It's not a big deal, espiecally if you're not doing it any more. My little brother had this and didn't learn to speak properly till he was seven - now the trick is getting him to shut-up. He's bright and articulate (and extremely annoying but that's not the echolalia, that's little-brother-itis which is both tragic and incurable). Echolalia doesn't mean there's anything else wrong with you. It's not a sign of low intelligence or poor mental health.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 2:02 am

I find myself doing the "Rain Man" thing: one day you'll pay, one day you'll pay, one day you'll pay, one day you'll pay. I don't do it in front of people for the simple reason that I don't feel comfortable talking in front to them (except my mother). I never thought I spoke to myself, but I do: echolalia (it's a funky word).

I tend to use "immediate echolalia" when talking to professionals, repeating what they say, just to solidify it with my mind.

Do people with Asperger's do it, or is it more an autistic thing?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:02 am

in candid videos of myself..when I am uninhibited and whatnot..I notice that I will often repeat what someone says to me back to them...but i don't do it all the time and don't notice when I am doing it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 9:28 am

Sometimes I repeat things to myself in my head, don't know if it constitutes as echolalia though.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

20 Dec 2007, 9:42 am

One of my many habits that infuriate my wife on occasions.

I tend to echolate more when tired or stressed. I tend not to notice that I'm doing it bue she sure notices!

I also tend to finish other people sentences especially when I've already worked out what the meaning of what they are saying.

Not sure is "Echolate" is a correct word but it sounds almost as good as echolalia and I intend to use it!

Me, after much thought on the matter.

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 9:44 am

I never thought myself to have echolalia, but I tend to repeat the last thing some people say, especially when they are giving instruction. I chalked it up to repeating it so I'd remember it, so I wonder.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2007, 9:54 am

I am an aspie, I would say about 10-20% of my speech is borrowed phrases from movies, TV shows, and interviews (and some books)... does that count? I just find it easier to use the correct quote than to come up with my own wording, and of course I can do that much faster than I can put together apropriate words of my own.

And of course I repeated every word people said to me under my breath when I was little.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 1:01 pm

twoshots wrote:
It is a fabulous word to say isn't it :)

Yeah, I feel the same way about a number of others aspie related words too. Like:
Inertia
Perseveration
Procrastination
And yes, echolalia too
- and now I can't remember more of those... :lol:

I don't do echolalia though... but maybe the opposite? I mean, it often annoys me when people don't hear what I say and I have to repeat it. But maybe it's because I didn't make sure that I had got their attention before talking. Maybe it's kind of a theory of mind thing? (In other situations, however, I understand very well that others can have another view or opinion.)

But this thing about having to repeat often... maybe the next time I should just reply in a very aspielike rude manner: "Why do I have to repeat everything? Do you think I have echolalia or what?!" :lol:

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 4:57 am

I have a friend with echolalia.
I only ever had palilalia.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

22 Dec 2007, 5:04 am

Echolalia just means repeating things you don't understand. I was very echolalic when was little. I learned things but didn't understand them. I had a rote memory too but didn't understand the meaning of them.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 3:54 pm

When in verbal mode,most speech is echolalia and palilalia,it's mainly how am answer questions to when verbal as am don't know any other way to answer if asked something not understand,saying something-anything,usually shuts them up.
people have said am never shut up when verbal,as all am do is repeat echolalia over and over,have got into trouble for one part of it 'useless',a phrase mum always said to am and sister when she was drunk,one staff was near am in last home,when am had said it,and another staff wrote up a report about it and said am had abused the other staff.
For people that have had a lot of autism training,they know nothing about one of the common traits of it.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!