Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2008, 10:52 am

I'm starting to hate my interests, because they go away too quickly. I looked up something about AS and special interests is a trademark. Everyone saying I'm into strange things. I'm writing my first book and I'm moving on to C++ programming. Everytime you have one, you keep at it until you have another one.

What's the big deal? What's with special interests?

What are they?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

Don't know, we all seem to have them on here. Perhaps your next special interest will be psychology - then you can tell us :D

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:12 am

lately i've had a bit of the same problem. i used to be able to spend my time reading anything about cars, i lost interest in them about a year ago and i was having a hard time because i felt lost without an obsession. now i have one but it's not as strong as my interest in cars was so it's kind of annoying.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

Everyone - even NTs - have special interests. For example, my NT little brother is really obsessed with the US Marine Corps. The difference between an NT's interest and an aspie's interest is intensity. For example, my brother doesn't think or talk about Marine Corps stuff all the time, I practically sleep, breathe and eat* my special interest, which is anime.

*sleep, breathe and eat = to be really, really obsessed with something

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2008, 11:14 am

Special interests are really no big deal. They seem to draw the attention of NTs because we can focus so tightly on our interest of the moment. This is one of our skills which NTs cannot match and is what can make us such good Engineers, Nerds and Geeks. Remember that there would not be many of our techical toys, had not Nerds and Geeks been able to perform as we do. AS ROCKS!

Pops

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:29 am

I don't know. I was intensely interested in Anthropology in late 2006, and I chose it for a major... now I'm not as interested and I'm very glad I'll be done with it in a few weeks.

Most of my interests last about six months.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:37 am

I am annoyed at how much WP diverts me from my special interest...it has practicly taken over...is there an addiction counselling hread somewhere?

i have some interests that are lifelong and some that are short-lived..and some I fall in and out of over the span of many years...
Though I don't feel like going into what they are at the moment (see profile)

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

There are some, as someone said, of my interests that have been life long, and I know alot about. I can cite data and information and statistics on. Others come and go. My latest is Tarot. I don't believe in it as a ESP type thing, or for predicting the future thing.... I like it for bringing up ideas and concepts that you think about in relation to whatever you draw the cards for. There are symbols in each of the cards that make up the meaning. It's really cool.

I get so wound up about my interests that I dream about them and think about them and read about them, and talk about them, and they get in the way of everything.

I hyper focus so intensely everything starts relating to it as well. My brain connects everything to it. It can be painful at the beginning, and sad and depressing at the end. But I have always been that way.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:56 am

Chimchar wrote:
I'm starting to hate my interests, because they go away too quickly. I looked up something about AS and special interests is a trademark. Everyone saying I'm into strange things. I'm writing my first book and I'm moving on to C++ programming. Everytime you have one, you keep at it until you have another one.

What's the big deal? What's with special interests?

What are they?

I agree.

However it wouldn't matter if I have my $100,000+ a year income while sitting on my duff.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2008, 12:53 pm

Has your interests ever interfered with your lives?

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

Chimchar wrote:
Has your interests ever interfered with your lives?

My interests are my life.

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2008, 1:25 pm

I guess the trick is to turn your intersest into something that generates money...

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

Does anyone have interests which they really obsess about for some time but never master that interest?

I have been obsessed with guitar for like 10 years now, yet I still dont think I can play a complete song.

I have been trying to learn web desgn for about 2 years now and I still have not complete a web site.

Everytime I get anywhere I lose interest. And then I come back to it a few months laters and start from the beginning.

It makes me mad. I hate the way i am.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 6:32 pm

I know how you feel...I am not an expert in any of my special interests...people just seem to think I am.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 6:34 pm

I am consistent with my interests. I feel that one's interests says something about their personality and beliefs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 6:47 pm

Jonny wrote:
Does anyone have interests which they really obsess about for some time but never master that interest?

I have been obsessed with guitar for like 10 years now, yet I still dont think I can play a complete song.

I have been trying to learn web desgn for about 2 years now and I still have not complete a web site.

Everytime I get anywhere I lose interest. And then I come back to it a few months laters and start from the beginning.

It makes me mad. I hate the way i am.

That's normal. It is afterall an interest - doing it is what draws you, not how well you do it. I'm really terrible at First person shooters, but I love them. I never notice how bad I am till i'm online and people insult me for being bad at it. It's assumed that repeating an action enough will make you an expert at it eventually, but eventually you reach a point where you just can't get any better. For some people that point might be low.